antihistamines and partial complex seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Robin are you saying 800 mg magnesium a day? 800 is not too much?:e:

After a "run of seizures" I called my nuero. He asked about current meds, told me "DO NOT take antihistamines".

I agree with that! Antihistamines are not off my list of things I can take for a number of reasons. One of them is massive nosebleeds with Benedryl. That never happened before I was on AEDs.

Benadryl & seizures

Wasnt feeling well the past few days mainly just the sniffles. Had taken an antihystimene around 6 last night. That didnt work so I took a 24 hr sudafed around 8. Woke this morning and still had some symptoms and then took a Benadryl. Went to the gym shortly after and didnt feel 100% so I left in the middle. Came home and took a shower and layed down for a little bit and during that time I had a seizure. Had been seizure free for almost two years now and my last Tegretol counts were fine.

Could all this have caused my seizure?

Hi Bomoseenbrat,

Antihistamines -- Benadryl, Sudafed, etc. -- can be problematic for people with seizure disorders. The stimulant properties of the main ingredients (diphenhydramine, pseudoephedrine) can trigger seizures. So those may have Contributed to your seizure. In addition, being fatigued or dehydrated, or having an infection can also lower your seizure threshold.

Best,
Nakamova

My nuero and my pharamcists have all told me not to take benadryl with my meds topamax and keppra they have advised me to take zyrtek instead as long as I follow directions no claritin becasue of interactions also no halls cough drops becasuse of the menthol in it.

Very interesting about the menthol being a possible seizure trigger. Do you happen to know why that is? I had never heard about that, but then again . . . our former neurologist kind of pooh-poohed the possibility of Benadryl causing my daughter's first seizures that went into status. I am absolutely convinced that it brought about those first seizures, and I appreciate the information about all antihistamines. I learn so much from all of you--thank you!

Actually in some studies it's been shown that menthol can help inhibit seizures. See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2560999/

I think the doctor warned against menthol not because it's a seizure trigger, but because it can interact with medications that are metabolized by the liver (such as Topomax).

Robin are you saying 800 mg magnesium a day? 800 is not too much?:e:

Wow this is old, but I just caught it today.
Eve, if you are still interested... no this is not too much for us. Recommended by a doctor and is working for us. No migraines for me in over 6 yrs, and Rebecca is seizure free, though not only due to her daily vitamins, it is the one improvement that has remained consistent.

Wow this is old, but I just caught it today.
Eve, if you are still interested... no this is not too much for us.

Do be careful if you have kidney problems though.
People who have impaired kidney function are at the greatest risk for magnesium overdose. Even a moderate magnesium overdose may cause a drop in blood pressure in those with kidney disease. Other possible serious symptoms include difficulty breathing, muscle weakness, and mental confusion. Serious cases of magnesium overdose may cause cardiac arrest.

Magnesium Overdose

Despite what some doctors might say the recommended daily dose is only 420 mg/day for adults over 31.

Anyone know about Bromfed DM? I somehow got strep and the gave me antibiotics and this Bromfed DM cough syrup. I believe it also has antihistamine in it as well.

I haven't taken any of it though because I'm nervous since I also take Keppra. Just wanted to check and see if anyone knew of any negative reactions taking the two together.

I went to a "doc in a box" and he said not to worry about it, but I don't think he really knew much about AEDs.

The active ingredient of Bromfed DM is Dextromethorphan. In studies, it was shown to have anti-convulsant effects at low doses, but pro-convulsant effects at high ones. It's considered safe for people with seizure disorders as long as they are otherwise stable -- i.e. if your seizures are currently controlled, and if you aren't taking other substances that might lower your seizure threshold. In addition, Bromfed DM has alcohol in it, which can slightly reinforce any sedative effects you might feel of Keppra.

So for the reasons listed above, go easy on the stuff. Start with a smaller than normal dose to see how you feel, and proceed with caution.

They don't cause seizures for me (THANK GOD) but I'm allergic to Benadryl... ironically. Whats suppose to help allergies makes it worse for me. :D

Back
Top Bottom