any ideas?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bazpa

New
Reaction score
I am beginning to get anxiety from going to sleep. I keep having part of my body violently jerk right after I fall asleep, and sometimes while I am in bed reading. I am having this happen so much that I don't want to go to bed. Any ideas on how to get this to calm down, or at least help my anxiety over having this happen. I normally have complex partials, but have had simple partials, and atonic seizures. My husband says that my body does shake at night when I am having one in my sleep, and I have bitten my tongue, but I am not sure what that is. Most of my seizures happen at night or in the morning. I really appreciate everyone on this sight. I have learned so much. Thanks

I get the same thing but I don't believe it's connected to my seizures. My understanding is that it's how your muscles often release stress. That's why it happens just as you've fallen asleep.

Ironically, if that's what it is then getting anxious about going to bed will only make it worse. I would highly recommend doing some stretches for all your limbs before bed & see if that helps.

It's strange, because it has been happening sometimes when I am awake. I ended up throwing my pen across the room. All I could do was laugh, because it was so ridiculous! Glad there wasn't anybody around to get stabbed by it!!!

I've seen that happen to people that don't have seizures. I'd still say try the stretches, maybe even a hot bath if you can.

Happens to me often... i will be falling asleep, and i will jerk out of sleep instantly. Often its while im dozing off, and i visualize myself walking off a cliff or something that would make me freak out if i was doing it while awake. its true that many people who do not have a neurological disorder experience this phenomenon. I don't relate it to my seizures - but you may want to explore why your muscles spasm while you are awake. thats a different situation than when you are falling asleep and your body is relaxing

My doctor said it was a type of seizure. The ones at night are not like falling, but they do wake me right up. They are really beginning to irritate me, as they come along just about every night. I have had the falling ones before, and these are different. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom