Any success stories taking Tegretol with Vimpat?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
After finding out that 400mg of Vimpat and 500 mg of Lamictal don't work after taking 1200 mg of Tegretol and 500 mg of Lamictal, I am thinking of asking my Neuro about trying the 400 mg Vimpat and 1200 mg of Tegretol. I started titrating off of the 1200 mg of Tegretol after titrating onto 200 mg of the Vimpat, so I never took the full 1200 mg of Tegretol and 400 mg of the Vimpat together. After I was almost totally off of the Tegretol while on the 400 mg of Vimpat and 500 mg of Lamictal I had a few seizures during the daytime that I wasn't having while on the 1200 mg of Tegretol and 500 mg of Lamictal.

Does anyone here take Tegretol with Vimpat?

Hello Forward, my son (32) is now on 100mg vim pat 2x/day and 600mg trileptal (a form of tegretol) 2X/day. His gran mal seizures stopped completely as soon as we started the vim pat (at that time he was on other meds as well). However, he started having partial seizures and panic attacks (which could be either seizure related or side effect related). We kept him on the Vimpat since that was the one that stopped his gran mal seizures and switched the others out for trileptal. He still has no gran mals and stopped having partial seizures as well but still has panic attacks. I may request to lower his dose of vimpat to see if that will stop the panic attacks. For the most part though, the Vimpat was a very successful addition for him

I've been on 1600 mg a day of tegretol for a very long time and just a couple of days ago the doctor put me on 100 mg a day of Vimpat. It's too soon for me to say if it's really making a difference.

The neurologist did say that the Vimpat works best in conjunction with other AED's though so I'd think that titrating the Vimpat up first would be best before titrating off the tegretol.

Yes, the Vimpat is generally used in conjunction with other drugs. I would definitely titrate up on the Vimpat. Are you considering eliminating the tegretol or just reducing? My understanding is that Trileptal is just like Tegretol with less side effects.

Back
Top Bottom