Anyone capable of drinking, driving or both?

How many medications are you taking to contol your seizures?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mspang

Stalwart
Reaction score
I'm now capable to drive once again, but never will be able to drink. :(

With driving I can't, and don't even attempt to go out on the road. I sometimes know when I'm going to have a seizure, or the seiure won't be a bad one, I'll just get a little dizzy feeling or not feel right. But usually my seizures just hit me with out no warning and I'll black out. My dad had me move the tractor not to long ago, he thought I was joking with him acting like I was going to run the thing into a tree. Here I was having a seizure and luckily my dad realized it in time before I ran into the tree and pulled me off.

As far as drinking I can have a drink every so often and still be ok. I went to a party over the summer and there was a cooler that had peach iced tea in it, but I didn't realize that it was the "adult" iced tea. I don't know how many glasses I had of that before some one told me what was in it. I ended up having 3 pretty bad seizures the next day.

I'm able to drive. Ive been driving since the age of 15. Half of my life now! :) As for drinking, well Im not a very big drinker, but my last drink I had was on the 4th of July. I had two strawberry daqueries with my sister that day. I didnt drive home, my husband was with me, so he drove. But I didnt have any problems with mixing my medication and a drink or two.

I can do both without any problems. (I just got back from having dinner with friends, where I had a couple of glasses of wine and then drove home.) I don't overdo though, and I try to pace myself and drink water too. I'm extra careful with hard liquor -- I can definitely feel the effects sooner.

I can drive.

I can drink too, and can put away quite a few when I'm out with the girls without any problems as far as seizures. However, the hangovers are terrible and I pay for it that way...lol.

I used to drink socially but stopped several years ago. At one point the drs had me on 3 different meds and I drank and it nearly killed me. I quit those meds, drs and drinking!

I'm like

CathyAnn..........but I don't do it much anymore. I have too many other things I want to do, and I just don't like the hangovers....

I can drink fine but then ill push it and push it until the ineviatable happens,so i really only have a few sociably now and certainly feel much better for it.

Can't drive right now. Don't drink any more, ever.

I may go to a wine tasting because I love wine, but I spit it out into one of those spit containers like one of those fancy wine guys.

I JUST got my permit as of Tuesday -- Colorado wants 2 year seizure free -- and am estatic over it. I didn't think they'd let me drive!

Drinking, I don't know about. I'm still underaged and why on Earth would a 19 year old ever want to drink anything that's targeted at adults?:rolleyes:

I may go to a wine tasting because I love wine, but I spit it out into one of those spit containers like one of those fancy wine guys.

Now that comment had me :roflmao:
/look of innocence...no i don't have epilepsy and don't drink, I just want to be like one of "those fancy wine guys" /spit

ps /another look of innocence... I'm allowed to find odd things funny, the dr says my head is broke.

Drinking and driving

Hi,
I was given the all clear to drive after six months seizure free and my medication was under control (I'm from Australia).

With regards to drinking I had mixed messages. My doctor said no and my neurologist said yes in moderation.

The epilepsy medication increases the effects of the alcohol - resulting in central nervous system depression and impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

The alcohol increases the effects of the epilepsy medication by raising the concentration levels of the medication - resulting in dizziness, drowsiness, funny vision, uncoordination and nausea.

I personally get twice as drunk and have twice the hangover (I am on tegretol 600mg). I found the best way to do it is to have your medication first then slowly add alcohol. This way you can stop when you start to feel sick. If you do it the other way the medication will knock you off your feet.

If you want to try alcohol (to see how it will affect you) do it at home with a family member to monitor you. I found by having a few drinks in moderation I felt fine. :cheers:

I just finished a 2800 mile ride from CA to South Dakota for the Sturgis Rally - yes I can drive, and more importantly to me, ride. I can have 8 ounces of wine a day - any more and I get the migraine to end all migrains. Two beers will also do OK. I never drink the hard stuff - that's what led to my diagnosis.

I don't think my neurologist knows or cares whether or not I have a couple of drinks here or there. They always ask the standard question when you come in: "How many drinks do you consume on average". Unless you say "I'm getting blotto every night," they're not going to look up from their computers...

So everyody who's answered and everyone who hasn't yet, if you don't mind me asking how often do you have seizures?

So everyody who's answered and everyone who hasn't yet, if you don't mind me asking how often do you have seizures?

my seizures come in clusters. The ones we know I've had came 3 grandmal the first time, 2 years later 4 in one day, but it's been two years now so I'm clear to drive.

I suppose my tonics come along like buses,none for a good while then a couple in a month,im about a year i think tonic free at the moment.As far as abscences go they seem to be roughly once a month,but i wouldnt leave the house as they are pretty bad when i do have them.Funnily enough im sure to much sleep is a trigger for them.

Seizure-free (controlled by meds) for over 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom