Anyone capable of drinking, driving or both?

How many medications are you taking to contol your seizures?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I drive and enjoy a beer now and then again, although obviously not together. Where I currently live, drive-through daiquiri shops are a thing, which really just enforces the whole "drinking and driving."

Also where I live, trail riding/hacking (a horsey thing) and drinking are also a thing.

South, south Louisiana is very, very strange.

Seizure free here. (Thank you Phenobarbital!)

(No alcohol though. Never did like it anyway).
Can drive and do just about what I want.....so far.

Maybe it's the Phenobarbitol and maybe I'm just getting old but I find that the hangover is disproportionately huge compared to the amount of alcohol I take in.

Just a couple of glasses of wine and I feel like I was doing tequila shots all night the next morning. I don't get any more drunk feeling, just the hangover. Doesn't seem to be worth it.

I've switched to non-alcoholic wine lately. That works.

I don't drive and have never learned, when I was a care free kid driving seemed so fun, and I even wanted a moped when I was 16. However, as an anxious adult I've been in two crashes as a passenger, nothing major but still scary, and I've driven as a passenger long and far enough to know that I do not WANT to drive. Epilepsy or not, I get angry enough and anxious enough being driven, there are too many asshats on the road and I just don't trust them. Plus, we get a free bus pass anyway, and in my city the buses usually are quicker than driving (thank you bus lanes!).

As for drinking, I still drink. Cause I went 6 years without a seizure, and without any diagnosis, I drank heavily without a care in the world (well I was in my teens/early 20s). Since having the last seizure and subsequent diagnosis; I have cut down on the frequency of my drinking, but mainly to help with my anxiety and general mood. I also don't drink if I have plans or work the next day, as a precaution. I'm going out tomorrow on my first night out since December so I'm looking forward to that, it'll always be in the back of my mind that it might cause something, but it hasn't yet so I guess all I can do is wait and see.

I would phone cops myself if knew someone driving drunk if my son I most definatly get them.
If driving and not got e controlled then irresponsible

Maybe it's the Phenobarbitol and maybe I'm just getting old but I find that the hangover is disproportionately huge compared to the amount of alcohol I take in.
It's funny that you say this because once in a while I'll have a very small amount of wine with dinner over my daughters house and it gives me a wicked feeling hangover. My wife calls me a cheap date, LOL

I take Keppra for my seizures and it has done a mediocre job of controlling my seizures. I have not had any tonic-clonic seizures since July but I have multiple simple partial seizures every day.

While I voted for one medication, I take Lamictal for bipolar symptoms (I have schizoaffective disorder bipolar type). I'm not on a high enough dose of Lamictal for it to have any major effect on my seizures.

Edit: Also, I drink and drive (but not at the same time). I probably have an average of one beer a day. I am currently driving, but I am awaiting for the Florida Medical Review Board to get back to me on whether I can get a Florida drivers license. My doctor did not recommend me for driving so I imagine my driving privileges will only last for another 2 months or so.

Last edited:
I'll be 21 months (seizure-free) 2/13/16 :)

I don't really drink. If I do it's on a rare occasion.
I can drive, but haven't in a long time. I'm not in a rush to get in that rat race. lol
At least not in the city.

I mostly go straight from bottle to hang over missing the fun bit.trying force myself drink glass red wine it good for you so I found bottle red wine in house over ten years old.i always thought old wine was good that most vile like 100% vinegar

Back
Top Bottom