Anyone else have problems with strobe lights?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

josieb

New
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up in the past or not. I was just wondering if anyone else has school buses in their area with continuous flashing strobe lights. I'm in western Pennsylvania and many of the school districts in the area have the lights on top of every bus.

For those of us who have had problems with flashing lights bringing on seizures, including myself, it really frightens me. Now that I am driving again, I try to leave earlier in the morning for work to avoid the buses, but I usually end up having to deal with at least one a day. Even when I'm not driving and just riding as a passenger, they're a nuisance. But at least I can close my eyes when not driving. Any feedback would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,
JosieB

Josie B,
Yes I have always have problems with strobe lights setting off my seizures.
More than 90% of the time they will set me off into a seizure.
I've always had this problem since I was a child.
so the docs always knew the light s on the EEG would send me into a seizure.

Belinda:noevil::pop::soap::bigmouth:

Belinda, Thanks for your response.

For the past few years, since the strobe lights on the buses started in our area, my husband has always wanted me to send letters to the school districts, local political representatives, etc., complaining about the lights. I have never really contacted anyone, as I feel it is a lost cause. I assume I'm majorly out-numbered and that the responses I would receive would advise that if there's a chance of them causing a seizure, I shouldn't be driving.

Hi all - I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up in the past or not. I was just wondering if anyone else has school buses in their area with continuous flashing strobe lights. I'm in western Pennsylvania and many of the school districts in the area have the lights on top of every bus.

YES! It drove me nuts, not only that but especially on
the back of the Public Transportation Buses and Specific
County / City and Landfill Trucks as well, especially the
brake lights! (only I don't drive anymore) I used to have
to bend my head down on the steering wheel if they're
right smack in front of me with my hands covered (like
I'm praying or something) because looking the other
way just will not do! If it's a short term, it's not a problem,
but sitting there, and it becomes prolonged, it really starts
to bother me, and there had been times I had to pull over
and let my son or friend drive because they tripped me off!

And yes, I've phoned in to complain and only to get anyone
from the Human Resources to Receptionists informing that
other people have complained likewise but it's for their own
safety? (Safety of what? Causing health problems for other
people?)

Even when I ride my Trek (cycling), and get stuck with those
"thingies", I try to move around to the other end where I do
not have to see this and it helps a lot.

However, as for the School Buses, I miss my morning walks
for that reason - with so many children being picked up,
and so many buses zooming by - it's crazy!

I've read that there are some special blue tinted glasses (medical grade - not something you find at Walmart) that can help mitigate problems with flourescent/flashing light. You might ask your neuro about them.

More info here: Treatment of Photosensitivity

Thanks Sharon - Hope you're feeling better after your recent bad days.

And Thank you, Bernard. I will definitely check into the blue tinted glasses.

Sincerely,
Josie

Strobe lights bother me everytime, this showed up in my eeg's!!! we don't have American style school buses in the UK but there are plenty of other lights to drive me nuts.

I went to a wedding party recently that had strobe lights on the disco and I had to leave the room - and was deemed a miserable sh*t by my parents for finding myself a quiet bar out of the way. (Another case of ignorance).

It isn't just strobe lights that affect me, it can also be bright white floodlights, or the sun flashing between the trees.

Someone on this site has a pair of blue tinted glasses prescribed in the UK and she is now able to attend pop concerts.

Yup! Me too! Strobe lights can trigger my seizures. I agree with your hubby. The school district can't fix something if they don't know something is wrong. At least let them know that their busses are a driving hazard for you and every one else that is photosensitive. As Bernard said, medical grade blue lenses seem to help a lot of people.

Photosenstivity is becoming more common!

In the last few years I have noticed I can't handle strobe lights any kind of flashing lights they all seem to bother me day or night! I figured this out after a very detailed study my nuerologist ran on me several years ago. I can't go to concerts or special events and have to avoid certain settings now.
David

is it legal to drive while wearing an eye patch? Some one told me that photosensitive seizures only happen if the light enters both eyes - I've always been afraid to deliberately try and test that out though. i've had bad enough experiences with flashing lights without intentionally seeking them out to see if I can "beat" the seizure

You could send an anonymous letter, referenciing the epilepsy foundation.Then you won't have to worry about the school telling the state you are an unsafe driver

I don't drive so it isn't much of a concern for me, but what really concerns me is police car lights. I'm afraid I'll be in a car thats pulled over and even with the cop car behind me I'll end up in a seizure because of the shadows caused by the rapidly changing lights.

Josie,
Hi. To my knowledge, the strobe lights on school buses in my city are only used on foggy & rainy days. Have you tried going to your school's board meetings & bringing the subject up? After all, you support your school district by paying taxes, so you have every right to speak your mind. You never know, other people may hate the strobe light as much as you do, yet may not know how to go about asking the school bus companies to turn them off. Let me know what happens. ~Ann T.

Well, they

irritate me......or give me a "wiggle" but I don't go into a seizure...in other words, I feel totally unsteady, but I don't have a seizure of any kind. But I do feel violently ill for a while, and have to go hide somewhere until I can... re-settle myself again. Does that make any sense? I don't know how to explain it other than that.

Thanks again to everyone for your responses. I am going to check with my neurologist about the tinted glasses and even attempt contact with some officials in the area. I've read and heard that the strobe lights can even possibly bring on a seizure for someone who has never had one before. I appreciate everyone's support. Sincerely, Josie

Some store lights bother me and computer lights bother me to. Sounds bug me and cause myoclonics on me. Oh well.

Dangers of strobes

Regarding the DANGERS OF STROBES:

Folks, these strobes are far more dangerous than they are good. As a pilot, one must turn off strobes in fog, rain, snow due to vertigo.
This is the same on the ground as it is in the air. Why would you wish to "blind" drivers following a bus, particularly over a long distance. These strobes SHOULD BE OUTLAWED and NOT USED.

Wikipedia:
Flicker vertigo is "an imbalance in brain-cell activity caused by exposure to low-frequency flickering (or flashing) of a relatively bright light"
[1] The strobe light effect causes persons who are vulnerable to flicker vertigo to become disoriented, lose control of the aircraft (Vehicle).
Due to the intensity of the brilliant white light source, the intended use for strobes is during daylight hours of operation.

Strobes should really not be used in inclement weather, in the clouds or on the ground as this can cause flicker vertigo. BUT THIS IS WHEN MOST BUS DRIVERS USE THE STROBES ! THE WORST TIME TO HAVE THEM ON!!!! :ponder:

Aviation FAR 91.209—You must use position and anti-collision lights between sunset and sunrise, but this regulation says you can turn off the anti-collision lights for safety, such as when flying in precipitation.

Distractions and problems can result from a flickering light in the cockpit, anticollision light, strobe lights, or other aircraft lights and can cause flicker vertigo. If continuous, the possible physical reactions can be nausea, dizziness, grogginess, unconsciousness, headaches, or confusion. The pilot should try to eliminate any light source causing blinking or flickering problems in the cockpit.

Flicker vertigo has been reported as the cause of some aviation accidents. Twenty two percent of helicopter pilots and 30 percent of airplane pilots said flight through fog with a rotating beacon had caused flickering light in the cockpit.

At night, anti-collision lights reflecting off the clouds can produce the effect. Flicker vertigo can develop when viewing rotating beacons, strobe lights, or reflections of these off water or the clouds.

With the above information readilly available, Did the transportation board fail to do their research prior to having these installed?
Have they ever travelled 15 minutes behind a bus with strobes in the dark, and rain? IT IS VERY BLINDING and DISTRACTING

If they don't feel a large yellow vehicle is visible enough, add reflective paint, more lighting (Like some trailer trucks)
But not a Blinding strobe light!

GFREE in New Hampshire

Back
Top Bottom