anyone else take offense to the word, 'fit?'

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just something I wanted to get your guys opinion on because recently I've seen more and more people refer to 'TC's' or 'Seizures' as 'Fits', which I know they've been called for a long time but I personally find that term a bit offensive, as if I having a seizure were the equivelnt of throwing a two-year old's temper tantrum.

Anyone else get where I'm coming from and/or feel the same way?

I personally find that term a bit offensive, as if I having a seizure were the equivelnt of throwing a two-year old's temper tantrum.

Anyone else get where I'm coming from and/or feel the same way?

:agree: IMO, children throw "Fits".

I have seizures as a result of suffering from epilepsy. But I do know that in some parts of Europe and the U.S. they still refer to seizures as "Fits". If anyone says I've had "fits", I ignore them.

I used those words, and other people use those words, because they don't actually know the terms for them. I used them until I learned the actual terms for them.

Try asking a random person on the street what a "Tonic-Clonic" is. You'll probably get a strange look and/or get ignored.

I don't mind the word fit, it's not used in my neck of the woods to describe a child, we use the word paddy

Try asking a random person on the street what a "Tonic-Clonic" is. You'll probably get a strange look and/or get ignored.

Try asking them what a seizure or epilepsy is and I'll bet they would know. Of course, they would initially think of "grand mal" when you say either word. That is when one can educate the public about different types of seizures: SP, CP, TC.

And about different types of E, Temporal Lobe E, Frontal Lobe E, Myoclonic E, Absence E, Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome. Bet this is when when you get that strange look.

Last edited:
I can't say either of them bother me, but having said that not a lot bothers me, but again as someone else said above we dont use the word "fit" to describe children, it's a mard (also know as being mardy) over here, so i dont really hear it being used in that kind of tone.

There's a small Honda car called the "Fit". Maybe I should get it, just because...

and cint I agree
Children throw fits for attention among other things ours are not for attention its something we cannot control even with proper meds

It seems to me that it's mostly UKers who say "fit" in terms of seizures. I'm not overly fond of the term. To me, a fit is a temper tantrum.

I don't like the term tonic clonic. Still reminds me of an alcoholic beverage...

Tonic-clonic doesn't bother me. I like to imagine that "I went to the grand mall and had a gin-and-tonic" and that's why I'm feeling a bit under the weather...

older people here say fit and spell. it is also used in conjunction with religious outburst.
so i tend to let it go.
I offended a girl a bit back saying she was to going"the shakes" that night the nickname for the local Shakespeare festival apparently she had tourretes and the occasional seizure. so to each their own.

doesn't bother me i don't think most are saying it with malice, if it was said with intent to be rude then maybe

As others have mentioned, it is the normalised term in the UK (we just forget about the derrogatory religious meanings). It doesn't bother me to the point of correcting people, but I won't use it myself in the same conversation.

I guess it's increased usage here as an insult is inevitable though- given we seem to copy most other American slang. Waazzzaaap! :)

Only time I use 'fit' is when I'm pre or post-ictal- just makes things a bit easier ;)

Last edited:
Well I'm from Australia, fit and seizure are as common as each other, I only really here people saying it after I've just had one and their trying to help. I think it's more common for someone who doesn't know about epilepsy to say fit whereas people who i know or who know what epilepsy is say seizure.

Back
Top Bottom