Anyone get Back Pain with seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I just wondered if anyone here has alot of back pain with their seizures? After last night's seizures, I woke up to alot of backpain. :ponder:

Yes! I had major back pain after the last few seizures I've had- I'm on generic Keppra (since May) and Dilantin. I don't remember having that pain in my upper back (bra line area) before, so I told my neuro. But I also broke ribs & shoulder bones, so I don't know if the pain is solely caused by those injuries. The good thing is I don't have the pain any longer-last seizure was on 10/4- but it sure is worth telling your dr about it, if it doesn't go away.
Hope you get to feeeling better soon. The neuro wanted me to take brand Keppra also but the price is outrageous even with insurance. Take care & keep us posted.

Ive always taken name brand keppra, since the age of 17. Now that Im 31, and trying a generic seizure medication for the first time, I didnt know if the pain Ive been having is from the generic keppra xr, or the seizures cauing it? I havnt experienced back pain before with seizures when I was on the name brand. I called my neuro's office today and spoke with a nurse on-call. The on call dr ordered me a 30 days supply of the name brand Keppra XR. So Im going to go back to that. On monday I have to call the drs office to get them to fax a six month supply of the name brand to my online pharmacy, its cheaper to get a 6 month supply through my insurance for $150 than it is for a one month supply through our local pharmacy each month for six months.

I meant to say that I had the back pain before the broken ribs came along but after starting the Keppra. So maybe it is the generic that caused it.

I got some pretty bad muscle knots in my back after my last grand mal in October. It was awful. I had serious back pain because of the knots for about a week, and the knots didn't go away entirely for almost two weeks.

I used a heating pad on my back for a while-that seemed to help the pain some.
Are you still having the pain today, Kristin?

The back pain is better today. I got one of two theories as to what happened:

1) either I was having seizures at night while sleeping and not knowing it, since ive started the generic. My first time I woke up to that feeling a seizure was about to come on during the night was friday night

2) the generic keppra caused the back pain. Which If I google things, there are some people that mention having back pain while taking the generic.

So I dont know if it could be from the seizures or the generic. either way, Im feeling alot better today. Ive taken 4 doses of the brand name medication so far. ive been keeping up on the ibuphropen for the pain and as far as the headaches, I had to start taking tension headache to help take it away. ever since friday morning, around 2am, I suffered horriably from the headaches. The only time I recall having that bad of headache was after a complex partial or grand mal seizure which was around the age of 19. Since then, any seizure I did have, was a small seizure, not enough to cause that big of headache. It got to the point last night where I had to have someone hold by head in the temporal lobe areas to put pressure in those area to ease the pain. Thats when I decided to take the tension headache pills instead of just the ibuprophen. Thats helped out alot!

I'm glad you're feeling better today and hope you stay that way.
Riding this E roller coaster is not fun sometimes!

Oh gosh I know! I went for a good 1.5 years with good seizure control, and thought id might as well try the generic, since Ive never tried one before. Little did I know it would cause this much trouble and take me out for a weekend! I felt horriable all day yesterday for feeling I cant do much around here. if I wasnt in bed sleeping, I would get up to use the restroom and maybe watch a tv show... then Id feel horriable again and sleep more. I just hate going through those times!

Back
Top Bottom