Anyone have experience with TBI?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Abynorml

New
Reaction score
I've had mild epilepsy for awhile mostly myoclonic and nocturnal seizures and possibly some absence seizures. November 19 I fell about 30 feet and broke an arm, herniated discs in my neck, and suffered massive brain hemorrhages and facial fractures and was in a coma for a few days(traumatic brain injury), lost vision in my right eye. Was hoping it wouldn't aggravate my seizures, but have woke up recently sore, and wet the bed a few times, I thought I had this all in control afte raising my meds and adding klonopin last year, but now I'm having to go back and see what my regular neurologist says, I'm allready seeing a neurosurgeon who thinks we can avoid surgery on my skull and neck. I'm lucky to be alive, I lost my right eye vision from the massive pressure from the brain bleed, and my memory was bad before I got hurt now its awful, I'm functioning and caring for myself though I heard doctors say I had permanent brain damage, while they thought I wasn't awake in the hospital. Everything has been a slow recovery, and the nurse said probably no flying for a year, which kills a good chunk of my work. So I sit at home on workers comps meager allowance, to I can heal enough to work again.

Hey Abynorml. I have A TBI also. Mine was from a motorcycle accident in 1986 but had complex partial seizures after and the grew into Tonic Clonic. It ia major life altering event to damage your brain like that and I am on disability and doing the ever slow recovery process. But hey! I am glad your here and this place is good for us. Thanks for posting.

nice to meet you , Ive been around here for awhile but dont post to often, I wonder, were you allowed to fly at all after you got hurt, I was told by the nurse I probably wont be able to fly for a year, that sucks because I travel alot for work, and yes I never saw this coming, its a hard injury for most folks to comprehend, I couldnt subtract or do math at first, Im doing good, but its not easy, and its hard to adjust to the loss of an eye.

I have TBI but mine started at birth and I've busted my head open more years than I've been alive. I've have RTL,VNS, I'm refractory on my 22nd med.

It has been over two years worth of recovery, life is sooooo different, I lost my career, and I am going to attempt a return to college to finish a degree I started in the 90's. My right eye never really healed, and my brain is better but Im still not the person I was, the hardest part has been the isolation, I rarely see my friends and its not the same anymore when I do see them.

I've been lucky I guess as I have avoided stress for the post part and have well controlled epilepsy, I could do without the panic attacks or PTSD, I can deal with the memory loss, I use alarms and reminder apps on my phone and laptop.

Still can't sleep at night....

I hope you can find a way to reconnect with a community. Maybe when you return to college?

Not that it's entirely the same, but a lot of folks have been helped physiologically and emotionally by having a pet or working with animals. Is that an option for you?

Hi Abynorml--I'm so sorry to hear about your story. Wow you've had a rough go of it and I can only imagine how hard it's been. I've had a TBI as well from being hit from behind at full speed by a driver under the influence 2 years ago. My difficulties are nowhere near as bad as yours--I also had post concussion syndrome and had a few months where I couldnt add or subtract and any kind of concentration would make me need to sleep. I thought I would never be able to function again and it was a very scary time of my life. I had fully controlled epilepsy before the accident, and had a seizure within the first week of the accident--but then nothing for about 5 months. Then seizures started again (with new seizure types) and I haven't been able to gain full control again though I've seen improvement. It was at that time I joined CwE for support. I know the isolation you speak of but only knew it for the 3 months following the accident--I felt like no one understood--on TV, people get head injuries and pop back up after 3 days and are fine. I worked at my job through it but had to work from home every afternoon for a long while since I couldnt stay awake past noon and had to rest, and looked glazed-eyed at every meeting. I know everyone was wondering if I was permanently damaged. I cried a lot, and couldnt control it. My life isn't back to full normal and I've made lifestyle adjustments as we all have to refractory seizures, and I also have a bunch of vertebrae permanently out of alignment and probably will never have seizures fully controlled, but I've just adjusted to the 'new normal' and am happy now. Back then I spent a lot of time saying Why me, why did this have to happen, but it just didn't help my situation or change anything, so I guess we all need to look at what we have, and say: How can I find happiness with this life that I have today? What are the things I can bring into my life to bring joy? Rather than trying to grasp at the things that used to be. I hope you find a new kind of happiness, and know that that is possible.

Abynorml--Re-reading your post, I want to add a couple of things. You are VERY early in this process. It can take many months to recover from a head injury, and yours sounds very serious. I hit my head about 3 times ricocheting back and forth in my car but did not have hemorrhages or skull fractures--I had what was deemed a moderate concussion, and it took me three months to be able to concentrate fully, remember things and stay awake a full day. Patience is really key here. Do not assume what you are experiencing is forever--you will see improvement, day by day, week by week. There are never promises as to 100% recovery but you will improve, and you need to keep the faith. I encourage fish oil and magnesium--these are very helpful for brain recovery--check with your neuro to be sure they are OK with that, but also look up fish oil and TBI. Epsom salt baths are invaluable as well. Please stay positive and reduce stress, stress is not conducive to brain recovery. Take good care.

Hi there! Sorry to hear of your accident. I can't imagine how that must have felt! Ouch! You're one tough cookie :)

I got on a horse that used to be a bucking bronc, but was supposedly retrained. Nope, cuz as soon as I hopped on him, he did what he was trained for....and I went head-first into the arena panel at a full running buck. Without the aid of a rodeo clown, he proceeded to trample over me lol. I don't ride with a helmet, and now I only ride my own horses that I personally have owned since birth and trained myself. I've had seizures ever since the accident.
Like lindsayschu2 says, the brain will try and stabilize itself. My seizures were initially complex partial and quickly progressed to tonic clonic almost weekly. I went through almost a year where multiple meds failed and my seizures were out of control. I was transferred to an epileptologist and surgeon to test for surgical options. My brain began to stabilize and my seizure threshold went up over a year ago. I still have partial seizures, but have been tonic-clonic free for a year. Keep the faith, my friend. Do what you can to find peace and happiness in order to reduce stress. Take things one day at a time. I'm now training for a bodybuilding competition this year. Supplements that have helped me neurologically, are Omega's, B vitamins (12 and Folic), and Vit. D.

Thanks for the replies, it haas been a long two years of recovery, I do take fish oil and I am part of a few support groups for TBI, I even went to an adult day care program for a few week last spring, it helped find other issues like my balance is not good if I shake my head and walk, its a visual tracking issue.

In the last two years I have learned a lot, was able to comprehend the hospital reports, found out I went status when they tried to intubate me, the funny thing is, it was only a few months prior in the spring that I was finally able to prove I had epilepsy on an EEG, after having a partial seizure on a red eye flight to Atlanta from Las Vegas, no one noticed, not even the people sitting next to me, when we took off and the cabin went dark the cart monitors flickered on while I closed my eyes, and it hit me like a brick wall, I arrived in Atlanta, sleep deprived, post ictal, and having to wait for yet another flight to get me to my job I was working on.

When I had my first seizure, I was alone in bed, I was awake and conscious for the start of a grand mal, my neurologist at the time was treating me for essential tremors and refused to believe that I had a seizure, because I was already on AED meds, I went through several EEG's and switched doctors.

I tell this story because the same jackass that refused to believe I had epilepsy, was the same doctor that prescribed Dilantin when I went status, I guess I showed that bozo...

My dogs have been a huge help in my recovery, the main reason I fought and refused to be put in a residential facility, I needed to get home, I would cry and pray at night to get home, I hate hospitals, and I hate being a patient in one even more, the food was so bad at one point I escaped the hospital, and went looking for food, I only remember being in line somewhere and realizing that I didn't have my wallet or any money and had to put the food back, I even called my mom on my cell phone and told her I escaped, she was upset and begged me to go back, I did, even made it back to my room. Months later I came to realize I was walking around in broad daylight in nothing but a hospital gown.

It has taken 2 years just to comprehend all the damage done, at first I couldn't understand, thought a hemorrhage or hematoma wasn't a big deal, I wanted to get back to work, I had a tour to finish(concert tour). My doctors were not the best help, they were ok, they tried to make the head injury seem like it wasn't that big of a deal because all the bleeding had stopped.

I watched a program on concussions on PBS, that filled me in on that I needed an fMRI to see if I had damage to the white matter of the brain, I suspected I had a diffuse axonal injury, not just bilateral hematomas and contusions. My suspicions were correct, there was evidence of brain damage, the nurse and doctor did not go over the fMRI with me very well, and the neurologist argued that I didn't have diffuse axonal damage, even after I pointed out the radiologist at the hospital suspected it.

Later a second neurologist that rated my disability confirmed I indeed had sustained a diffuse axonal injury. I am kind of looking for a new neurologist, the one I have has been ok for the tremors and seizures, but hasn't been much help with the TBI, other than offering me ritalin and antidepressants, both of which I turned down.

It is a hard path that I am on, it is just painful at times to talk to friends and family, I talk with my Mom every day and she doesn't understand, keeps apologizing when I can't understand what she is trying to say or talking about(I have a hard time with pronouns and when people are not specific) its not my Moms fault and I get angry when she tries to make it all about her, I tell her no, its me, I don't understand its not your fault, and she feels she has to talk to me every single day which would be nice if I had anything to talk about, often I get lost listening to her talk about her day, it isn't fun.

I also have issues with good friends who push their religious beliefs on me, I can handle it to a point but many of my family friends are born again christians and they feel they MUST preach, I had to flee last sunday, I asked them to stop please, and they tried to justify it and kept going on about Old Testament god and how God hates mankind, and murdered all the Egyptians after they kept the Jews as slaves for 400 years and that is why Egypt would never ever be great again. I can't handle stuff like that, its ugly, and not my religion, not my god. But it is forced down my throat and they don't think they are being bad, they correct me when I say I was lucky, they prefer to say I was Blessed, I don't feel blessed, I am 38 and my life as I knew it is over, the harder they push the more I hate their god, and beliefs.

So I have friends but they don't understand this, one of them has had a stroke but nothing like this. I am still friends with the christian born agains, my mom goes and studies with them and has found something good in it, she doesn't go to the literal extreme that they do.

My friends I had from work rarely visit, but I do see them on Facebook, for a long time Facebook was my only social outlet, and it wasn't always a good one, I nearly got locked up in the insane asylum a few times for saying suicidal thoughts. The first couple months and year there were many times I had wished I had died in the fall, my christian friends couldn't understand this, and I doubt they ever will, but they have been a huge support for my Mom and for me, drove me when I couldn't drive. It took a year and a half to get to where i could drive again.

So I consider myself lucky to be alive, but never blessed, to be blessed would be to have never had this injury.

One of my next steps is to find a good therapist, my christian friends think its a bad idea and that I just need Jesus, but they are very wrong headed, they mean well, but are just wrong. I don't want to be on a bunch of more drugs, I just need someone who I can talk to that understands the brain, and who doesn't try to push religious dogma down my throat.

Please I mean to offense to Christians, my friends are good people, but they are blinded by the light of their faith, I don't think they can understand me, they are conservative born again christians, and I am a liberal, bisexual, who believe in science and god, just not the god written about in the Old Testament, which I find abhorrent.

Anyways I look forward to another try at college, and I am happy to at least be home with my dogs and not locked up in some asylum, or being retrained to work at walmart.
I had a great career, which I do miss, but accept that it would be to much for my brain.

I am not sure if I will ever have a normal social life again, I highly doubt ever finding a long term relationship, I guess I am ok with that, but life does get lonely sometimes, my dogs are good company, but not much for conversation, but then neither are most of my friends.
I am hoping that I will meet new people and form new connections when I return to college, I am only taking one or two courses to start, I will see how well I do from there.

I apologize for the many breaks in my posts, I have a very hard time reading posts that have no paragraph structure, I get lost reading and often have to use a highlighter or a bookmark, to keep track of where I am at.

the best coping mechanism I have found useful is writing in a journal every day, I can't remember yesterday very well, so I do lots of stuff to try to help my memory, I do take fish oil, and I am trying to learn the piano, it is a very slow pace, I have a hard time using both hand at the same time still, but I can play two songs now on a piano, mostly just notes, I have a hard time with chords on my left hand still, i can play them, just have hard time doing it at the same time as playing notes with my right. Does seem to help though

What will you be studying college?

I am starting with finishing a degree the theatre and the fine arts, possibly with a minor in recording, and seeing where I go from there.
I had a year and a half left when I dropped out in 99.

The theatre community can be pretty great. I hope you find a good group of folks to hang with.

Hi again, I am glad to hear that you are on the mend again. Reaching out to social communities can be excruciating to TBI people like me and I read others too. I also found out at a brain-injury conference that TBIs can cause epilepsy in people sometimes years later as a result of 'blood-brain barrier' damage. I started having seizures after my TBI but really after they started preemptively treating possible seizure activity with dilantin. That's when the seizures really started.
Not to sound like a pity-potter or martyr I know that a TBI is a massive job to manage for life and with E on top of it? Not easy eh?

I had a TBI back in 2013 from a motorcycle accident. Mine was nowhere near like yours though. I got a concussion but have been having problems with headaches and concentration since. My physiatrist tried me on a couple of different meds- neurontin and propanalol- but neither worked. My neurologist hasn't given me anything. Basically just said that concussion headaches are hard to treat and we leave it at that every time.

I had a TBI while still in the womb, there was too much fluid and the dr's that were there when my Twin and I were born, believed that I had floated up to my Mother's ribs and rubbed/bumped my head on one of them. Which then damaged my brain but no one was aware of until 20-some years later. I have had a huge scar on the right side of my head since I was born, which we all had called my "birthmark."

And when the first neurologist I went to saw it after trying to figure out why I suddenly started having seizure's said that it's most likely why I have seizures.

Back
Top Bottom