Anyone on Magnesium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if any of you have tried taking magnesium to help you control your seizures and if so what is the dosage. Since I can't get the drug
Diamox I want to try something else that will help control my seizures. I want to thank all of you for your help and let you know I really appreciate
all that you have done for me. I wish all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Similar to Nakamova... I take mag along with calcium to help my bones. I also take 2000 mg vit d also. I am phenobarb and vitamin d is supposed to be helpful. Actually, on my last DEXA scan my hips had improved by 8% increase in mineralization.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for sharing your info. with me. I've noticed that each time I take calcium or vitamin D it triggers more seizures for me. I have a feeling that calcium may interact with some of my seizure meds but I'm not sure. Thanks again and May God Bless You!

Sue

Sue, have you had genetic testing for your epilepsy? I ask because there are particular variants where calcium cannot be processed properly and calcium supplements play a roll in triggering and/or increasing seizures. In those cases the seizures are often treated with a calcium-blocker medication.

The story at the below link is worth reading (or at least skimming). It's a about a mother who became a neuroscientist and genetic researcher in order to try and cure her daughter's epilepsy. She discovered that her daughter had calcium-related genetic issues and found that treating her with verapamil—a calcium channel blocker—helped reduce her seizures.
http://tools.aan.com/elibrary/neuro...ovid.com:/bib/ovftdb/01222928-201410010-00023

Hi Nakamova,

Thank you so much for this article. I've had DNA testing done to find the correct seizure med for me but I've never had genetic testing done for epilepsy. My Epileptologist told me that my seizures were not genetic because others in my family have tonic clonic seizures and mine have always been absence and complex partial seizures.
I do feel that calcium and vitamin D can trigger seizures for me because when I used to take both vitamin D and calcium I had more seizures. I will be sure and let my Epileptologist know about this. Thank you so much you are a wonderful friend and a Great Blessing to me. May God Bless You!

Sue

My Epileptologist told me that my seizures were not genetic because others in my family have tonic clonic seizures and mine have always been absence and complex partial seizures.
In the past it was thought that genetics played a role only in tonic-clonics, but studies over the last few decades indicate that partial seizures also have a genetic component:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2737452/

Hi Nakamova,

Before I had surgery done my neurosurgeon and Epileptologist told me that I had to many brain cells on the right temporal lobe that never dissolved as I got older and this in turn let scar tissue there and in turn by the age of 10 yrs. old I started to have seizures.
The Drs. feel that it happened to do trauma my mom went through when my Grandfather passed away and that in turn caused the cells not to split even on both sides of the brain and I ended up with more in the right side of the brain than the left side. My Epileptologist told me he had only seen 2 other cases like mine in all his yrs. in the medical field. Thanks for your help and time. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Did you guys have to ask your neuro for DNA testing for determining the best E med choice for you? Did they offer it? Or, did you seek it out elsewhere?

My neuro has never mentioned this as an option.

I in uk at my age they laugh me out of door not a chance I get DNA testing even tho dad me daughter have and have got it

Hi Dignan,

My Epileptologist asked to do the DNA test on me, the reason why he did this is because I had been on so many different seizure meds over the yrs. and nothing was working. I was amazed when he found out I was drug resistant to all the seizure meds out on the market so then I was but on cbd (medical marijuana) and that has help reduce
my seizures a lot. Here's wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Yes, we use Magnesium Glycinate 400 KAL brand. Grant takes 1/2 in the am and 1/2 around 4pm and 1 at night before bed. The research I did a few years ago:
***Glycinate. Well absorbed. Regulates neurotransmitter receptor sites. Bonds with amino acid glycine to stabilize your body and produce a calming effect on your body. The glycine component can also help remove mercury from your body.
*Magnesium blocks outward currents in a voltage and dose dependant manner, acts as a fast blocker by screening of surface changes and produces an open channel block in several sodium channels.
The transfer of sodium is decreased bc of the screening of the surface changes.
**Many meds for epilepsy contain sodium blockers. Adding magnesium helps because it basically primes the surface to assist in blocking the sodium channels in the brain.
I hope this helps.

Hi mom1,

Thank you for all the great info. regarding magnesium I really appreciate it. Since I'm drug resistant I'm looking into trying some to see if it will decrease my seizures more.
Here's wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Mom1. I found same research. The company that makes a fizzy , powder drink of magniseum called CALM. They won a award for making a most digestible magniseum. I use it.

Hi Folks,

Thanks to all of you and the info you have given me I'm going to get some magniseum this weekend and give it a try. I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for all of your help and info. May God Bless All of You!

Sue

I had magnesium infusions for migraines and took magnesium for a year afterward-- I had a concussion after a bad fall and I just couldn't recover. I'm going to think if I recall any changes in my seizure activity, BUT my doctor is a huge supporter of magnesium. Definitely talk with YOUR doctor, but my doc told me to double my dose. I do remember that the MG helped my head trauma, which really surprised me. My doc loves alternative meds though. :D

Back
Top Bottom