Anyone smell cinnamon?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JRuner

New
Reaction score
I woke up early smelling cinnamon and with poor balance on my right side and pounding headache. Has anyone had an aura like this. My family members did not smell cinnamon. I think the smell is what woke me up because it was so strong.

thanks,

John

I bet my partner wishes he smelled cinnamon (although intense cinnamon odor is probably not as pleasant as it sounds). The smells he gets usually make him gag -- although once he did have a slightly more medicinal version of cherry vicks.

How are the balance and headache now? Did they go away fairly quickly?

I smell burning rubber, or more chemical smells like permanent marker or peroxide lately.
I think I have smelled prettier things a few times, like lilac and chocolate when I ask if anyone knows where that smell is coming from they look at me funny.

HAvent had the poor balance on any specific side, but have had some balance issues where it looks like I kinda stumble backwards for a moment and wiggle my arms out trying to catch myself and rebalance.

Forgot to mention -- partner gets balance issues, but not usually first thing in the morning, more throughout the day he just tips into things, and now that I think of it, when I notice it, it's often off to his right side. Huh.

He gets headaches too, but not normally in conjunction with balance problems or smells.

I used to smell cinnamon, and evergreen, along with the putrid stuff like burning hair (bitter), dog poop (rancid), formaldehyde, etc. My doc says people with E don't smell pleasant stuff. He can think what he wants but he's not in my skin. It's what I smelled, and it wasn't there.

What I love about this place is that everybody in here GETS IT. Like I said, you all make me feel so normal for a switch, just like everybody else. Wish we were all in the same city so we could have a party and meet each other. The punch would be kind of boring, but all the same....

My opinion is that the scents we smell are those that are most familiar to us, or those that stuck in our brain through an intense memory. Scent is the strongest sense to spark memory and recollection.

Example: your husband proposes to you in a field surrounded by lilacs. You are forever going to associate that smell with that joyous moment.

Or the first time you smelt dog poo, how disgusted you were. Or the circumstances you first smelled formaldyhide were most likely a little traumatizing. like a disection in school or a open casket funeral.

These "smells" are new to me since the siezures are but the worst so far was burning peanuts. Atleast I am sticking with foods smells!

thanks for sharing and listening!

Hmmm.....I'm not a sniffer, but a taster - I get the taste and sensation off the bottom of a battery (if you lick it)

Why are you licking batteries? :)

I only clicked on this thread because I'm sat here eating apple and cinnamon crumble (mmm!)

I can't help with your problem, but I thought I'd give you a giggle; about a month ago I was sure I'd started having 'smelly seizures' (cen't remember the proper name!) I'd been sat at my pc when I smelt this really strong smell, it was horrible I can't really describe it, but it was so bad I could literally 'feel' it in my nose! It only lasted about a minute each time and it happened about 7 or 8 times in one day. Every time someone came into the kitchen (where my PC is) I asked them if they could smell it, but no one could.

Well I thought it had to be a type of seizure so I got a bit annoyed at this new development and duly noted it in my seizure diary. It wasn't until that evening that I noticed that this smell only occured while I sat at my PC so I went on a little sniffing investigation... Turns out it was some extremely mature blue cheese that smelt so bad that everytime someone opened the fridge door the smell lingered for a minute or so after the door was shut!! I've honestly never smelt cheese like it before, it was terrible, and people actually eat it!!!

I felt so stupid!!!:roflmao:

Munchy xxx

you've never touched a 9v battery to your tongue? because...
A) someone told you too.
B) your science teacher said you could feel the current and you got curious and tried it
C) You knew you could wet your fingers and touch the side of a battery and it feels hot, so why not try your tongue.
D) just cuz.

Uh, NO

I've never tried the 9volt battery on my tongue! LOLOL :roflmao::roflmao: But I'll believe you about the taste, thank you very much. :)

I don't have the smell issues--at least not that I've noticed--my seizures are nocturnal though. BUT, I DO have the balance issues--so much so that I am now documented by the doc so that if I am ever pulled over by the police, I can be proven to have a medical condition that seriously affects my balance, and that will not allow me to pass a typical sobriety field test. Yes, I would easily be able to pass a breathalyzer--d'oh--but walking a straight line, or putting my finger to my nose is an impossibility for me.

Ah...the smell thing. THis NEVER registered with me until I came to this sight :( I've been on other E forums...no mention of smells, go figure. I don't smell things before a seizure but I do smell weird things at odd times. Vomit is a big one...I know- EWWWW! Stale french fries, burnt wires, smoke and stale urine are common too. Chocolate with a hint of burnt undertones was a new one a couple of weeks ago. I've asked my mother to remind me to talk to the doctor abot this because if this is an instance of simple-partials (do I have that right?) then I have been having these longer than I have been having the T/ C's :( I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm just weird and have olfactory hallucinations.

Hi, Zoofemme. I'm so sorry that you are learning that you may also be having partial complex seizures. But I want you to hold your head up high and be proud of yourself for how strong a woman you are. You held up through those early years and lived your life even though you were having seizures and you didn't know that you had epilepsy. That is an accomplishment.

Read all the old posts. Maybe you'll see more of yourself in them. I did. I started to regain my sanity in the process, and I'm gaining strength from the people who have gone before me.

Before my diagnosis.... All those years of wondering "what the heck?!" Looking behind me to see whose hand was on my back and no one was there, looking for the ants crawling on me where there were none, blaming the high pitched ringing noise on my new flat screen tv and sending it back for repairs twice (at the manufacturer's expense) when it was perfectly fine, smelling weird smells that no one else did, seeing objects look big then little then big, etc. I thought I was going nuts. Finding out that it was epilepsy was a relief.

None of these types of seizures may ring a bell with you, but some of the others in the forum may.

Thinking back, I think I've had E since I was a small child. My first memory of what might have been a simple partial was around 6-8. Amazing what we compensate for and live with over our lifetimes. I don't know about you, but my diagnosis of epilepsy and learning what all the types and flavors of seizures are was actually a relief. Everything suddenly made sense.

Well, I'm just hoping my doctor doesn't say that in front of my mom...she will beat herself up about it if so. It was one of those things that was just kind of dismissed as one of my "odd" behaviours. I have a thing where my head just jerks to the side as well and my leg will start bouncing uncontrollably. I don't know if they mean anything...just "tics" that I've always had.

Mom's are both amazing and wonderful, and kind of a burden. Mine keeps asking herself how I got this - if it's anything she did. I keep telling her it's not. And she keeps asking if she should have known sooner. I keep telling her no - my family doctor didn't even figure it out until now. Calming my family down and managing them takes almost more energy than the help they contribte to the situation. Almost, but not quite. I am very glad they are here. ;)

Endlesssea,
My mum is doing the same thing, as she is also being tested for E. She wonders why she didnt notice the twitching or the staring spells. Why she didnt listen to the teachers that said I wasnt paying attention, even though I was a straight A student until highschool, when the street drug use started.

She keeps asking if it was something she did. She always says "i didnt smoke, do drugs and i didnt drink while i was pregnant. ever"

Yep, I tell my mom there is no way she could have known...she was taught that kids went through "phases" and did strange things so to not think some of my idiosynchrasies out of the ordinary should not be something she should worry about. It is what it is...I actually get more put out by my husband being a dufus about it than my mother, lol.

I woke up early smelling cinnamon and with poor balance on my right side and pounding headache. Has anyone had an aura like this. My family members did not smell cinnamon. I think the smell is what woke me up because it was so strong.

thanks,

John

i've never smelled cinnimon, but i've smelled nail polish and freaked out because i couldn't find the spilled bottle (there wasn't one lol)
now everytime i smell nail polish while not doing my nails, i have to go get a family member to ask them if it smells like nail polish.

Back
Top Bottom