Anyone's Seizures Triggered By Neck Pain?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cordero

Stalwart
Reaction score
My neck is retarded and has been giving me problems. It feels like I have a pinched nerve or something. It feels like that pain that people get when they have to pop their neck. I can't prove it to my doctor that it has been triggering my seizures so I don't know what to do. Does anyone have similar experiences or advice?

Hi Cordero,

I hope you're neck is improving. I have neck/back issues after two whiplash accidents and it's taken a while for me to distinguish between neck issues making me dizzy and possible seizures. I usually get on to my neck problems quickly (as much as budget will allow) with chiro/massage. I did have a torsion in my neck which left me so dizzy I was hanging on to furniture to walk around the house. I'm glad I got that clicked back into place!

I think my nocturnal seizures cause my neck problems, I don't know if it works the other way around, at least for me. Have you tried chiro? The one I saw had two epilepsy clients who he has great success with in seizure reduction with regular appointments =)

I know I feel pressure at the base of my skull prior to my seizures. Also, severe back pain (center of my back) prior to a seizure. Coincidentally, I have to have my husband crack my back daily. So sure, neck pain might be involved, but my hunch is that the impending seizure is causing the neck pain, not the other way around - perhaps from muscle contraction. I'm weird though - I feel PAIN prior to a seizure. After the seizure, the pain subsides.

Hi Cordero,

I hope you're neck is improving. Have you tried chiro? The one I saw had two epilepsy clients who he has great success with in seizure reduction with regular appointments =)

Thank you. I was just thinking about seeing if I could go see the chiropractor that my husband sees. I'm part of a study right now that I'm not sure if they will allow me to make a change in my siezure care. My doctor thought that maybe it could be a muscle fat growing in that area that could be pinching a nerve but I took a CAT scan and it showed nothing. I feel so frustrated because just about every night if my neck is in a position it doesn't like it sets off an aura and if it comes on too strong then I can have a seizure. I wish I could stay the night in the hospital and show them.

"So sure, neck pain might be involved, but my hunch is that the impending seizure is causing the neck pain, not the other way around - perhaps from muscle contraction."

What kind of seizures do you have?

Back
Top Bottom