April Challenge

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have enjoyed my ONE cup of coffee this morning in the form of a single shot cappuccino. Later I may have a nice cup of jasmine (green) tea.

For those interested, I've been researching caffeine content of various drinks. Looks like white and green teas have about half the caffeine of regular drip coffee. The caffeine in the teas varies a bit by brand and brew time. A single shot of espresso contains a little less than regular drip coffee. Diet sodas have about the same as the tea, but the tea, of course, doesn't contain the nasty chemicals.

I quit diet sodas several months ago when I realized that they were upsetting my innards. My intestines have been much happier since then.

April (cough) Fools... (cough cough)

How did you all do today? I have to say that I thought quite a few times about bread, but I turned that voice off.

Bread is a biggie for me to! yesterday I found out my mother was on the atkins diet she has the book which I can borrow:rock:

Hope everyone's doing OK. :woot: to all who are staying on plan. I'm enjoying a lovely cup of jasmine tea. Anyone want some?

I actually have done rather well so far today.
I made a fruit salad for breakfast, snackin on fresh veggies for lunch, still thinking about dinner. Most likely a piece of meat and steamed veggies w/ brown rice for the others.

Now off to drink my water.

:( I slipped the last 2 days. Both days I had a half a can of soda. It was all that was available, and my blood sugar was dipping. I need to do a better job of remembering to eat my lunch.

skillefer,

I try to keep some fruit or nuts with me to keep my blood sugars up.

yesterday, I picked up the atkins books from my moms one is called Dr. atkins new diet revolution the other is the atkins diet cookbook
it says that you should have a cholesterol reading...glucose-tolerance test a medical checkup..for health problems the book also recommends getting your blood chemistries done
before starting the diet....
it says some drugs that combine with this diet to produce a dangerous over dose..(the diet itself is a potent diuretic)

so if i were you id only try this diet with a doctors help % advice = & blood work to check your medication levels...

you can call this # 1-888-372-8546 to ask about meds that might be affected while on this diet

love
angel

Last edited:
Thank you angel! I used to do a modified Atkins long long ago.....:) And it worked well. I just slipped when it came to donuts. :) But I will ask about those tests. Thanks again!!

today is my sons birthday! hes 18 woot! lol I know im going to have some cake(( bad bad))) slaps my hands... ive been thinking about that cake all night:(

skillefer,

which ways did you modified the atkins diet? ive been trying to research the modified atkins diet so all of us who want to try it can have more info on the changes made to the diet for epilepsy :)

love,
angel

I modified the atkins diet so that I could only have brown rice, and whole grain breads(the darker and heavier the bread the better) and only 1-2 slices every other day. Or, I would let myself have the Wasa whole grain crackers that they sell at the store. But again, only one or two. I also ate proteins that were more easily digested....so fish, eggs, and peanut butter were high on the list, with beef and pork only 1-2 times per week. Chicken about twice a week. I ate fruits twice a day, the rest of the time it was veggies (the darker the better). Cheeses were good friends. :) I even made my own using yogurt. It was a tasty spread. Basically, my way of thinking was...if I couldn't have made it myself, or if it was processed, I didn't buy it. My grocery bill dropped too. :) I would do it again, except my hubby refuses.

I resolve to eat more whole foods and reading lables. I already found a bread that does not have any ingredients I can't pronounce or require a chemistry lesson to define!

Last edited:
My "diet" of choice is The Glycemic Load Diet by Rob Thompson because I can still have a serving of carbs per day and ALL the fruit and veggies I want.

Another diet book to live by (pun intended) is Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman and Mehmet Oz (I think it's the same Dr. Oz that apears on Oprah).

Both of these books encourage lifestyle changes and they are very simple and easy to stick to.

Good for you Kendra, I am glad that you joined in the challenge.

Angel... Perhaps do as some suggest...take three bites. I usually realize by that point that it really doesn't taste as good as I expected it to.

There is some research that cholesterol may not be our enemy...
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/05/28/cholesterol-heart.aspx

Nuts:
http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/roastedseeds.htm
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/03/05/pecans-good-for-health.aspx

Fats:
http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/Newest-Thoughts-on-Brain-Food-41832.aspx

Cheese:
Remember that cheese does have a very high % of casein. To many, this is one of the top allergens.
You might consider reducing the amount of casein by eating goat cheese, which is much a much lower %.

Not eating isn’t a good solution to blood sugar concerns. In fact, if you don’t give your body the calories it needs, you can easily wind up actually storing fat.

Here’s how it works: When you deprive your body of food it goes into “starvation mode.” Your metabolism slows down and your body stores fuel in the form of fat, because it’s not getting the regular intake of food it is used to.

Then again... this wasn't meant to be a "diet" challenge, but more a health challenge. I personally don't see where pouring chemicals into your system is moving you toward health. That of course is my opinion

Baby steps works far better than starting out with giant leaps. You usually stumble when you try to move forward that way.

Last edited:
Door to Door Organics

In February I signed up for organic fruits and vegetable delivery to my home at doortodoororganics.com. It's not available in all states but you all should check it out!

With this service I think I actually spend LESS on produce than I would at the grocery store. I am experimenting with vegetables I have never prepared before and I am eating a lot more of them because they are around I don't want them to go to waste!

Great suggestion Kendra.
Not yet on the west coast, but then again we have an abundance of farmers markets to choose from. I spend far too much at Whole Foods. Best to buy local when you can.

What new veggies have you tried?

Hmmm let's see...

spaghetti squash and bok choy, and also mangos.

I have gotten some of the BEST pears and buleberries. I have gotten huge bunches of beautiful spinach and I had to look up ways to prepare spinach and got some really great recipes.

:banana:Angel -

- Birthday calories don't count. :noevil:

Celebrate your son's life today. :banana:

You made me think about the frittatas I use to make. A meal in one. I am getting hungry.

:banana:Angel -

- Birthday calories don't count. :noevil:

Celebrate your son's life today. :banana:

Thank you! My mom and I were saying the same thing today until my son picked out his cake haha snickers bar cake! :clap: :paperbag: we took him shopping had some sushi yummy!

gave him the money to for his drivers license test..... I'm about ready to leave for the party! my kids are growing up so fast! I just have two more to go jk! :woot: all boy's whew!

Talk to you all later have an Awesome night
Love,
angel

Angel - I know it's too late for my advice about your son's birthday cake (I wasn't around yesterday), but I'll give it anyway. I started a weight loss plan in January, and have done really well with it. My husband is a really great baker, and he usually bakes a goody every weekend. My approach is not to deny myself, but instead to have a very small piece of whatever. I eat it slowly and savor every bite, and I find that it is actually more satisfying that a huge piece that I feel bloated after eating. A nice cup of espresso or decaf coffee with it is also makes it seem more special.

Be sure that it is something wonderful really worth eating, too.

Back
Top Bottom