aura or seizure anyone know ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vapour

New
Reaction score
Hi, first of all I want people to know.. that since rest and having been on lamictal almost a week now, and with a great epileptologist.

When I saw her on wednesday she wasnt sure whether I had to be admitted until the EEG only showed a few seizures (thank goodness she didnt do the strobe lights)

My Photosensitivity didnt start until march, where I ended up at the ER from playing video games... right side jerking...

Anyway I got better on lamictal, but had to withdraw it due to cost ( I now have help with that and been put on it with new neurologist)

I need to ask her these questions when I see her friday, the first time I was too sick, my memory was terrible, she said I was asking the same queston over and over again.

So, Im wondering if the residue I have left, are auras, or seizures. I have no more big jerks however ...I do still have some tingling when under flurescent lights and especially really bad nausea, and I feel little electircal pin pricks, and I do have a few twitches on my face or arms... in random places.

Does anyone know if all these symptoms are auras, and if any of them are actual seizures. I am still learning about all this. Last year I was diagnosed with TLE but now the new findings have found frontol lobe seizures also.

my TLE experiences last year (and i sometimes do get them) are completly different than these. My TLE symptoms include psychic stuff, stomach feeling like its jumping, feeling like Im coming out of my body, like im everywhere and seeing everything more colorful.

Please help me understand if these pin pricks and stuff and little twitches and electrical sensations, nausea are seizures or auras, or possible both.

thanks

Actually, auras

ARE seizures. Simple partials, if my memory serves me correctly.

The big jerks you speak of actually sound like myoclonic seizures, which something that I have.

As for the pin pricks, etc., well, that depends. Does anything else happen afterwards?

It IS great to hear that that you've found a great epileptologist. That in and of itself is not an easy thing to do. With luck, they will find you some control soon.

There is a good possibility that your meds are causing some of the odd sensations. When my daughter was on medication, she had some strange seizures, and behaviors. Since she has been med free, none of the additional seizures have occurred. The last tonic clonic she had was three months ago. We have raised her seizure threshold by making nutritional changes.

TLE has a mind of its own.

I have been on meds now for almost 4 years.

I have aura's now but the physical "jerking" symptoms seem to have passed. Now that I wrote this I probably will seize.

Pin pricks, blurry vision, jerking, twitching, foul taste, foul smells...everytime I switch meds its all new.

Start recording your experiences on digital audio or write them down.

TLE is the Frankenstein of the Mr. Hyde of the disease.

Not to frighten you, but in my experience, TLE is a multitude of so many symptoms of "What can go wrong, Will go Wrong." The experts have to consult an expert. But you wrote the novel to the movie. lol

Not one person has identical symptoms with TLE. Its kinda like DNA. We are all different.

But, we have one thing in common dude. It is never boring.

Good Luck.

As far as I'm concerned Auras are seizures. I don't like the term Aura or calling it a warning. That gave me a false sence of security to get to a safe place but it transitions so quickly. I had a right temporal lobe resection 1 month ago and have been aura free. The only tummy jumping I've had has been after drinking coffee. I tried to give it up 'cause it can trigger seizures but I've upped my Trileptal dose and no longer want to sleep away my days. Its too important to me to spend my summer with my kids. I'm trying to find a balance now. So now only one cup of 1/2 caffeine free and 1/2 caffeine and AM only then 1 caffeine free pop in the afternoon. I've added a lot more water and fruit to my diet. The best thing for me has always been sticking to an hypoglycemic diet.

I had the tummy jumping often, the anxiety and Deja Vu were my most common auras. Glad to be free of them. Tingling and jerking sometimes, they were more in my younger years. The out of body experience was very intense that came during the Deja Vu followed by nausea and diarrhea, thank goodness I never lost my bladder or bowls, but I could see how that could happen.

ADK is right TLE has its own mind there are so many symptoms. Keep strong you'll make it through.

Auras as far as I know are seizures! Isn't it just that they're more of a sensory type that only the persons themselves can readily discern? Like for me, the only reason I know I have a seizure disorder is that I have the olfactory deal. It's the sole symptom. It's just that I'm fortunate in that the part of the brain affected isn't one that causes loss of awareness! But it's still a darn seizure, and while the hope is that after having these for 2 1/2 yrs already, it won't ever move into secondary ones, etc, I still keep that in the back of my mind as an alert.
My SPS affects right temporal lobe region and I do get strange sensations at times too like you describe. Pin prick type stuff. Never really thought about it until now. My prominent, blatant symptom is the olfactory issue (burnt smell) but I do get other sensory things like pin pricks, and it makes me wonder if they are part and parcel too.

Back
Top Bottom