Awareness?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

raptor69

New
Reaction score
Hey There,

Curious as to your experiences with some level of awareness directly prior to having a tonic clonic seizure as well as during.

Story:
Have had 3 grand mals this year, with the most recent being last week.
It seems that my level of awareness is elevated in comparison to previous complete blackout sessions.

Last week I was capable of thought as my head was cranking to the right, up until full lock. I remember thinking that this shouldn't be happening and confirming that it was indeed during the head twist.

I also came to momentarily, regained some consciousness, and abruptly receded into another episode. This could not have been more than a couple seconds as I was only able to notice where I was lying and that something was not right before relapsing.

My recovery time was quick, but that is nothing new for me.

All my life, I have been used to complete blackouts. And to be honest, they are much more enjoyable. I am slightly alarmed at this recent twist of consciousness.

Would like to hear of your experiences.

Thankfully sometimes yes I am aware, when you are tooling along on a bicycle no helmet and only wearing spandex in traffic, it is nice to be able to pull over, granted even if you just pull over and fall over in the ditch with a bike between your legs, it is nicer than riding face first into a iron trash can face first and totaling one of your favorites and of course ending up with around 40+ stitches in your face. (I used to be a pretty pretty princess) (before we start odds are if I had been wearing a helmet for that one chances are I would have broken my neck instead)

Sometimes the only reason I know I had a seizure is because the sheets are wet or because the gf told me, which is fine in the confines of our apartment, I hate it is when i have to deal with the local E.R, and paper work, and having to find my bicycle and my backpack and the famous John doe story.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f44/friday-reno-john-doe-story-22224/#post249107

Last edited:
Hi raptor69, welcome to CWE!

It's not unusual for seizures to change over time, though it's unusual to start getting more warning rather than less before going into a tonic-clonic. Maybe your meds (if you're on them) are having a different effect.

Back
Top Bottom