Awareness Ideas and Scholarships?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Since my epilepsy is kind of under control now I can finally go away to college. It has been one of my dreams since I was a kid to become independent and study.

I am currently enrolled at a local community college thanks to my condition and I want to do Epilepsy Awareness and fundraising. I know that at my college you can set up a booth and such to spread the word. Do you guys have any ideas?

Since I know a few people at the college who have epilepsy and are willing to help man the booth. (sadly, epilepsy is why they are studying there instead of going away to college due to hospital bills creating a lack of funding and just for safety)

Also, are there any scholarships available to help with college? I know there has to be, but I'm just getting back into my old self. Hopefully if I bring some up to my buddies at school they'll apply as well and someone will benefit from it. :)

Oh! Kindly help me think of things that will catch the eye for my booth. I only have ideas like a bake sale, raffle, or hopefully contacting some place that will supply us with epilepsy related stuff like keychains or something. Any ideas would be wonderful and much appreciated!!! And if anyone has done something like this before some experience would also be sooooo helpful. I'm pretty green when it comes to taking leadership, but great things have to start from somewhere. :):)

much love, jackie.

Hi jackie! I started an epilepsy support group when I went away to college. I attended the University of Nebraska and became a "health aide" for my dorm floor. That means I was trained as a first responder, and had a kit that had basic first aid stuff as well as cold medicine. Since there wasn't alot of info given to the "health aide" class about epilepsy, I went to the "health center" with pamphlets about epilepsy, and asked if I could be included on the next semesters list of seminars. I ended up teaching about epilepsy. Then, I would make sure that the pamphlets were always available. Kids picked up the info, and called the contact info that I had included. We went ahead and started a club, which met fairly regularly. We acted alot like this group....supporting one another, answering questions, etc.....It's doable. Does your community college have a health center for the students? If so, I would go to them and see if there's any way that they can help....

Your County Health Department is also a good source for handouts as well as hospitals.

Your goal is very admirable and will speak to young people who do not yet have their opinions about epilepsy set in stone like most older folks.

Visit http://keppra.com/pc/helpful_resources/scholarship_program.asp
to find their scholarship info. They have awarded $375,000 over the last three years.

GOOD LUCK!!!

There are many types!

Where I live you can use the the health department, Advocacy orgs., and other nonprofits like united way etc.

Back
Top Bottom