Back to work, back to fear...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

I posted a week or 2 ago about a job interview I was jerking in... but I think, on the strength of my resume, I got the job. I'll be a debt collector working for a law firm.

It's been a year since I worked.

In that year, 'talking' in excited conversations has become a big trigger for me. Lots of stuttering, hand flying out and smacking things, throwing things... I've been fairly bad-off and filthy with this issue for the last year but I haven't had tonic-clonics.

I'm concerned that now going back to work(gotta do it, no other options, right? lol), I'm going to stress and 'aggravate' myself into a bleaker condition and that the TC's might come back.

Don't really know where I'm going with this... but anyone got some good advice, for the day-to-day 'working schtick', on how to deal and keep your brain 'cooled off' so those little neurons don't roam too rapidly through the brain and rub up on one another? I'll get medical insurance in a few months, so I'll finally be able to get back on meds... but any like.. rituals or practices you take the 'keep your mind as slow' as it can be, so wires don't get criss-crossed when you get excited or stressed?

That's awesome news. Congratulations. The only thing I can think of is try not to stress too much about it.(Yeah right. That's like telling a duck not to swim). Seriously, I find the more I stress about the seizures the worse they become. I think you're going to do just great. You've already got over the worse part-the interview. Good luck.

That is awesome you got the job! When it comes to de-stressing I try to focus on something that keeps me calm. It took awhile to get it down but has helped plenty of times. Wish you the best of luck and i'm sure you'll do great at your job.

You are awesome you can do this! Slow deep breaths closing your eyes and listing to yourself breath in and out. Count your steps while you walk. Close your eyes and listen to yourself breath and the imagine yourself closing them again and again and feel the warm sensation move from head to toe! :)

I am so glad that you got the job! Do you need an assistant? Mine is being eliminated June 30th. I could help you with the stress. I can be pretty entertaining :)

I've found that it really helps to build in regular breaks during the day, with the idea of preventing/minimizing the stress before it has a chance to build up. The breaks don't have to be long -- just 5 minutes a few times a day where you focus on your breathing.

This site is helpful for slowing and calming your breathing:
http://doasone.org/BreathingRooms.aspx?RoomID=2

Back
Top Bottom