backup for vns while on vacation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

oldhat

New
Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
We will be going on vacation soon to Gulf Breeze, Florida and was hoping someone on the forum could help us with the name of a facility or doctor who could help if we have problems with his VNS while down there.

I don't know if this is kosher or not, not asking for recommendation, just suggestions of who works with the VNS in that area. It is by Destin, Pensacola areas.

We will be visiting our youngest son who has done many tours overseas in the "dust bowl" and so happy he returns safely each time.

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.
Oldhat

I forgot to ask at the last appointment. Would have left a message with the office the other night but knew we wouldn't get a reply until after we had left. Was just hoping someone lived down in the area and knew of clinics who deal with the vns.
Thank you.

A good bet would be a regional epilepsy center. Someone there would definitely be familiar with VNS. Here's a link where you can search for the one nearest to your vacation spot: http://www.naec-epilepsy.org/find.htm

Just looking at the map, I don't think there's one that's extremely close to Gulf Breeze. But in a pinch it'd be much closer than going home.

Here's another resource: Epilepsy Services of Northwest Florida. They may have a doctor to recommend.

If it were me I'd call the Dr's office in advance and explain the circumstances (to see if he'd treat you in an emergency), bring along a copy of the critical parts of my medical record, and make sure your medic alert records are up to date, just in case. I bet his office will tell you to report the closest hospital's ER if you have problems. So if you want a particular doctor find out what hospital he is affiliated with, then ask for him in the ER.

Have a really FUN vacation! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom