Bad memory

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vtsammy

New
Reaction score
I have a very bad memory when it comes to my epilepsy. Whether it comes from my epilepsy or medication, I'm not sure. It's one thing if I were to forget what I did the other weekend, or where I ate, etc. But I realized that it was bad when there were certain vacations I wasn't sure that I went too, a friends wedding I didn't remember if I went to, and I forgot that my grandmother passed away. This is scary to me because I feel like it's been getting worst with age. Does anybody else have a problem w/ your memory?

Stacy's memory has covered the gamut from excellent (post eeg neurofeedback and seizure free for 4 years) to non-existant (during her uncontrolled grand mal seizures once a week with drop attacks [atonic seizures] and frequent myoclonic jerks in between period) to more or less normal again (with seizures sporadically occuring in clusters every month or two currently).

One thing I found with her was that, as bad as her memory got (and it got the point where she literally could not even remember the names of our two children), it returned to normal the longer she went without having a seizure.

Its as if the memories are there in the brain, but the seizures wreak havoc on the recall system. Once the recall system repairs itself, you can remember everything again. YMMV

I used to have a fairly good memory when I was a teenager, especially with things that I did as a kid.

Ever since I have had epilepsy my memory hasn't been as good. If I am getting tired I forget the simplest words and might say other words. Also when I have a turn or just came out of a turn my memory is really bad. I once told my neurologist that my memory isn't as good as it used to be and he said that the meds have made my memory worse.

A lot of the meds work by dulling brain activity. I don't believe that there is any permanent damage to memory function though. I think without meds (and seizures of course), memory function would return to normal.

When I underwent therapy (I'm talking
about Y-E-A-R-S) throughout the School;
which was a massive struggle ~ as I had
short term memory problems.

It was my 4th Grade English/Language
Arts Teacher, who from up North, had
volunteered as a Mentor for handicapped
children; but not with 'my type' of problem
and she realized I liked to write, but it
was jumbled. She learned I had a neuro
problem.

She collected my papers and studied them
and then she took the time to figure me out
and she was the one who was responsible
to teach me how to write "OUTLINES" and
"TAKE NOTES".

So instead of Physical Education - twice
a week; she would take her time and teach
me along with the Librarian in the Librarian's
Office.

If it weren't for her - I'd forget as usual, and
this mode (call it "Old School" if you wish) I
still use it today.

Later, Mr. Valentine, Mr. Terrell, & Mr. Robertson;
all in Junior High ~ taught me how to use high-
lighter pens in student textbooks.

Then later on in College/Vocational Tech, I
moved on to use 40-50 colored pens - using all
the light shades as possible, using a towel and
clear plastic small ruler. (the towel is to wipe the
ink off) And I had my own color code scheme.

With the Outline and Highlight/Color Code - it
helped tremendously to remember and find things
for Essays and Thesis!

Otherwise - I'd forget!

I still have a few of my High School, College,
and Vocational Tech Outlines / Books. As I
review them in case if I forget how it goes.

Does anybody have the problem of when they are speaking, quite frequently they have a problem coming up w/ words (similar to whenever you hear a song that you can't remember the title too)? Also, I also feel that often times it's hard to pronounce certain words or some sentences seems like they are tongue twisters when in fact you know they are not. BTW, this is great guys. I'm so glad I joined this forum.

Sam

Yes. My memory is terrible also. I've asked the Neuro about it and he says that it is caused by the seizures, the meds. & Sleep Apnea. I had Sleep Apnea for many years before I had surgery to help it. Still have the Apnea, just not as bad. So, I have two strikes against me.
I'm no doctor, however, I think common sense tells us that brain cells die each time you have a seizure. The same with Sleep Apnea. When oxygen is cut off, brain cells die.
As a result, the memory is affected. It frustrates me so bad that I have such a hard time learning new things, remembering things, etc.......Seems like I forget words all the time. If there are things I have to do, I HAVE to write EVERYTHING down. LIST'S, LIST'S, LIST'S...........the story of my life :roll:

Does anybody have the problem of when they are speaking, quite frequently they have a problem coming up w/ words (similar to whenever you hear a song that you can't remember the title too)? Also, I also feel that often times it's hard to pronounce certain words or some sentences seems like they are tongue twisters when in fact you know they are not. BTW, this is great guys. I'm so glad I joined this forum.

Sam

Sam:

Join the bandwagon! I've been in the same
dilemma, and at times; it can be hilarious
when I get lost for words or get jumbled up
in fact, even my own Doctors have chuckled
and one of my Epi I had, had to cover his
mouth to constrain himself. But trust me,
my son has had to run off to another
room and literally ....

:roflmao:

many times ... and even with his friends
present; while his friends usually are laughing
harder at him than they are at me.

These are not "slip of the tongue" or some
"set up" things ~ it's just I can't get them
in sync. I'm a heck lot better off typing
everything down than to talk!

However one of my Doctors thinks it's kind
of cute; he would actually work with me to
try to get me to say it correctly. And I
would struggle (I am not sure if he's doing
this to monitor me or out of observation)
but I would become so frustrated, and then
he would call it off, but I become determined
to get it right.

Then there's another part it's in the top of
your head - but getting it to come out of
your mouth is another feat!

It's almost like:

"Ok Head - let's cooperate now. Come out
through my mouth, through my voice."

And your Head is going like:

"NO WAY JOSE! I'm happy right here, I'm
gonna sit right here and I ain't gonna move
a muscle!"

And meanwhile "I" look like a 'total idiot'
sometimes (or at least I feel like it at times)
and it can be downright embarrassing!

:embarrassed:

Memory always depended on the med I was taking. I always found it came back if a med took it aways as soon as the med was changed. Majority of the time I was on took AEDS,I usually had my memory.

Riva

YES...my son has that problem.It's his expressive language. He knows what he wants to say but it takes him a minute to find the words. I think it's from all of the meds he's on. Most people think he's high when they see him. He currently takes 1000mg. Depakote ER, 1000mg. Lyrica, 800mg. Topamax. He goes for blood work next week because he is getting over a nasty cold. I didn't want the blood work now because I thought it would give a false reading due to his cold.
Marian

There must be some relation about it, my doctor made me a memory tests some time ago, not very long or complicated, but thanks god I have no memory problems.
I Have heard that Topamax can make it, and also problems with language, but it does not mean that everyone who is taking that must have that problems.

hi my boyfriends daughter has seizures quite often, we have noticed that right before a seizure she will yawn alot does anyone else do this

It frustrates me so bad that I have such a hard time learning new things, remembering things, etc.......Seems like I forget words all the time. If there are things I have to do, I HAVE to write EVERYTHING down. LIST'S, LIST'S, LIST'S...........the story of my life :roll:

I'm the same BO. I write things down alot.

I am looking for office type of work at the moment and have worked in reception jobs before. Although I am currently not working I do voluntary work in an office. I have usualy written everything down whether it was a phone message or if I have been asked to do something.

Last year I was volunteering in the office part of a chairty shop & I used to have to print out the price tickets for the clothes or type up letters. I used to just carry a pen and small note pad in my pocket just in case someone asked me to do something lol.

I am doing voluntary work at a different place now and I try to trust my memory a bit more but still write things down at times.

Last edited:
hi my boyfriends daughter has seizures quite often, we have noticed that right before a seizure she will yawn alot does anyone else do this
Hi Jeepgirl

I haven't had a grandmal seizure in 3 years.

I usualy take smaller seizures which I think are Auras or complex partial seizures (I usualy call them my funny turns). I usualy feel tired or have a headache after a seizure. Depending on how bad the seizure is depends on how long I stay tired or have a headache for.

If I have a bad seizure then I get a bad headache which doesn't want to go away and have to go lie down.

Long before the seizure disorder, my daughter had the memory problem. I remember in third grade going over vocabulary (they studied Native Americans), and we would have just gone over ex: canoe, and she could describe it to me but the "name" for it would just not stay with her. She learned at a young age to talk herself around what she was trying to get me to understand. She never seemed to get frustrated, yet became very good at giving the other person the visual needed to understand.
I am not sure how this has changed as a teen and how it has effected her self image, which then has caused stressful situations, which then is a trigger...

My memory has been terrible for about 30 years, when my seizures started. I do not recall my childhood either. I do not remeber my own wedding. I have to rely on my sisters and friends and sons if i want to know any history about myself. I was just taken off social security , and now I have to find a job. I dont know if i will get one because i will not be able to remeber things and will probably get let go. It is very frustrating !!! I would give anything if I could remeber things about my children...I think the medication, and where my brain scar is and how many seizures i have made my memory worse. i have been seizure free for over 4 years, and my memory isnt aby better. I am thankful for my understanding friends and family though.

I had problems with my memory earlier in the year when I started taking ethisuximide, I could't remember stuff all, it was starting to get really frustrating. My job relies on my memory and it was zonked out all the time. I no longer take ethosuximide I would rather have seizures and my memory

I also have a similar problem to a couple of the others in that the words do not always seem to flow freely when chatting to people face to face.

I had problems with my memory earlier in the year when I started taking ethisuximide, I could't remember stuff all, it was starting to get really frustrating. My job relies on my memory and it was zonked out all the time. I no longer take ethosuximide I would rather have seizures and my memory

I also have a similar problem to a couple of the others in that the words do not always seem to flow freely when chatting to people face to face.

I do have memory problems. Have discussed this with my neurologist and received brief responses. Can't really tell if the memory loss is due to the brain deficits secondary to the seizure or as side effects of my medications. I am now on Lamotigrine and Keppra. My job requires memory skills as well. I feel the same frustration that you do. There are brief episodes of the same "flow freely" feeling while processing what people say. It's difficult to describe. Thanks for your sharing. Annette

Is it aging too? There are times when I can't remember significant events that happened a year ago, or even one week ago. I always feel sad and tearful when that happens especially when people I speak with make comments "don't you remember???????" Sometimes I pretend that I do remember but it makes me feel really sad. My family is very understanding. After going through all the responses in this forum, the knowledge that brain cells get damaged, that medication have side effects, that the aging factor is also there, writing significant events just like a diary would really help. I shall be starting my own. My condition has been a prolonged journey of continuous denial. It's not easy but I try.

Back
Top Bottom