Bad taste in mouth

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am diagnosed with simple and complex partial seizures and been on two different meds since June....topamax (I had a reaction to) and now I am on zonegran.

I continue to have periods of a terrible taste in my mouth, and am wondering if this is medication related? it has happened on both meds. or can it be seizure related? I am continuing to have seizures several times a week too.... Also, when I get the bad taste in my mouth, my tongue feels weird, almost too large for my mouth, I am pressing it against the roof of my mouth.

Anyone out there relate to this??

I had that all the time before "Aura" and then it would hang around for several days after a seizure but then again I was having seizures ever few days. The only thing that helped was Big Red gum or Altoids Cinnamon mints. Thats one Aura I don't miss.

My mouth would fill up with saliva and not only did I have trouble swallowing, but I had this awful metallic taste. It was pretty disgusting and didn't make me crazy about food. Chewing gum helped a little because it got my "regular" saliva going and took away the metallic taste...until next time.

Hey, Daisygirl,

The bad taste can either be the meds, or a seizure. Most of the meds tast BAD. Personally i think Topamax is the worst, but I've never tried Zonagran. There was a poll on this:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f27/nastiest-tasting-pill-7985/
If it is also upsetting your stomach, then a little reflux could definitely be happening and you could get icky tastes from time to time. Also burping. On topamax I had a bad taste pretty much most of the time.

It could also be a seizure. Tasting things that aren't there, and warping of body part size are both types of simple partial seizures. They cause the sensation of all kinds of things, mostly bad tastes but some people have some very intense good ones.

Did you always taste the same thing?. Did it happen before the Zonagran and/or topamax? Did the taste change when you changed meds? Because I don't think they taste exactly the same. How long does the taste last?

thanks...
I did have the taste prior to meds a few times, when I awoke in the middle of the night with my teeth clenched and bit the inside of my cheeks.
and yes, the taste is the same....and it is not all the time, I went for a week or so with no bad taste at all, and sometimes it will be be there for an hour or two and then go away.

O forgot to say that I haven't had the taste since my surgery but am still on Trileptal so it must be the seizures.

I also have a bad taste in my mouth and I'm pretty sure it's from Lamictal. It started after about six weeks, as my dose increased. And I haven't had any seizures since starting lamictal, so it's not that. The good thing is that it hasn't affected my sense of taste.

Back
Top Bottom