Coping With Epilepsy EEG Centre For Neurofeedback
10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Tyrone, NC
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2018, 05:11 AM
New Here

Bed wetting because of seizures in my sleep?

Has anyone ever wet themselves at night because of a seizure? Iíve recently had problems with bed wetting in my sleep as the title states. Sometimes I wake up with a severe headache, which makes me think seizure.

Itís never just a little bit of a leak, itís always my entire bladder.

Ive been doing great, seizure free for over a year now. Unless Iím having them in my sleep...

I donít know what to do to stop it if I even can. I just wish I knew what is causing it. Anyway, just thought Iíd ask if anyone has dealt with this before.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,307 Times in 5,390 Posts
Hey JTG, welcome to the CWE!

Here's an older CWE thread on the topic:
https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...seizure-18997/

Seizures are probably be the most likely cause, given that you've already been diagnosed with epilepsy.

Maybe you could have an overnight sleep study done (with EEG) to see if your brain is misbehaving at night, or if there are other factors at work?
Old 12-03-2018, 05:07 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Send a message via AIM to C0urt Send a message via Yahoo to C0urt
there is nothing like fresh sheets from last time, and waking up in a big wet spot
The Following User Says Thank You to C0urt For This Useful Post:
seagull (01-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2018, 04:37 AM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

It can happen. I have wet myself many times during complex partials while awake. About 2 months ago, I apparently had a seizure while sleeping, & wet myself.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:11 PM
Joined the Party

My good friend has the seizures. The 1st time she wet herself she was awake and we were sightseeing. She was 16 at the time. Then it didn't happen for a very long time. It started again in her 40's. Sometimes awake or while sleeping but not always. As she got older it became more frequent while asleep. Now at 65 I think it always happens if she has a seizure while sleeping.

I just learned of mattress pads for these and other bedtime accidents. I'm also a Sr. Citizen and they were given to me free. But they are too small for adults and IMO these don't have enough of the absorbent layer to completely protect the mattress. I was told they come in a larger size and hopefully with a thicker absorbent layer. One side absorbs and the other side is water proof (supposedly). I'm going to ask my case worker for them. They even make adult pampers if it's very frequent. Any pharmacy should have the adult pampers.
I would think a surgical supply store might have the pads. Also check online to see what's available. There's many things. They are made for Seniors who can lose control of the bladder and the rear end. There's no reason a person with nighttime seizures can't use them as well.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:55 PM

I have started wearing bladder leakage protection pads when I'm going out just in case I have a complex partial. I want to avoid being in a situation where I'm having the seizure & wetting myself in a public place. I don't wear them while at home or to bed. It's happened only once at night, but at least 4 times during daytime complex partials.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:58 AM
New Here

My son has epilepsy and out of my own personal experience of raising a child with this condition I can say that it is normal to display symptoms of bladder incontinence in epilepsy. And as you stated, these tend to occur when you are fast asleep or even in the half-sleep condition.

Nightime bedwetting or noctural enuresis is common among people with epilepsy, more so in the case of children. In fact, chronic enuresis can be taken as a warning sign for neurological disorder.

Now talking about adults, its more or less the same neurobiology. Epileptic patients show abnormal neuronal activities within a particular portion of the brain which can restrict movement of muscles.

This could be a muscle of your bladder too. If the brain is not able to decipher that the bladder is full since its movement is not detected, the individual will not know that its time to visit the loo.
The Following User Says Thank You to EpilepsyCare For This Useful Post:
Afriend (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 09:03 AM
Joined the Party

Originally Posted by EpilepsyCare View Post:
it is normal to display symptoms of bladder incontinence in epilepsy. .
It may be normal but it doesn't always happen. My friend had seizures for 3 yrs before the incontinence first happened. And we were at the top of the Empire State Building in NYC. She was wearing a new dress because it was Valentines Day. We had a whole evening planned for in the city. A regular seizure would have just put us behind schedule. But the incontinence caused the whole evening to end. Even so, much worse things happen.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:25 PM

The incontinence issues started about 6 years ago for me, I think. It doesn't happen with every complex partial I have, either.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

I have but no where like others suffer.Dont always put it down to seizure you could have many things seizure a factor. be good idea get appointment with urodymatic doc.
MY OLDman had catheter back in april and nurse took thing out learving ballon still inflated(tear to eyes gents)all these months he still got problems and needs pee bottle near him.With me I get obsessed about peeing and will take action which just as humiliating I get little sleep just incase I pee i have bladder problems unrelated to seizure but I not know if odd pee is related.when you think about it,it do seem reasonable a seizure could make bladder worse if only a small short one.Like you I wake up with head ache and feel awful but I had hysterectomy and that in itself can cause pee problems so I don't know if small seizure is cause or pelvic muscles.i been offered operation on bladder recto musles but don't want surgery if e is the cause it all big conumdram that not helped you a jot