Behavior problems and Lamictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tinasmom

New
Reaction score
Since my granddaughter, Nicole, has started her full dosage of Lamictal, we have noticed that her behavior has gotten horrible. She is becoming uncontrollable at school. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. We talked to our doctor and he said that this is not a side effect and should see a psychatrist. I thought that I found a good doctor, but once again he is not listening to me. I thought that I read somewhere that if there are behavior problems, to contact the doctor. If anyone can help me with this subject, please let me know.

I would think if it can cause irritability in an adult that behavior issues would be a common issue. I just read a few entries at:
www.askapatient.com
I don't think that doctors are aware of what is going on with the meds. It was suggested that a pharmacist would know better. When Rebecca took Tegretol our neuro at the time said that the med wouldn't be causing vision loss. Uh... right!

That's a shame...

Whether it's the drug or not...you would like to think the doctor is 'there for you'....right?

I was on Lamictal for a short time and had such a reaction I had to terminate usage very quickly. I can't claim moods came into play for me, but I would say if she is exhibiting such extreme behavioral changes it would warrant a second opinion!

Peace!
:rock:

Since my granddaughter, Nicole, has started her full dosage of Lamictal, we have noticed that her behavior has gotten horrible. She is becoming uncontrollable at school. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. We talked to our doctor and he said that this is not a side effect and should see a psychatrist. I thought that I found a good doctor, but once again he is not listening to me. I thought that I read somewhere that if there are behavior problems, to contact the doctor. If anyone can help me with this subject, please let me know.

Lamictal was the very last drug I ever tried for seizures. I agreed to take only when the doctor went along with my taking just the smallest child's size dose and it totally screwed up my mind. Fortunately, I had a very supportive psychologist who was helping me learn non-drug ways to manage my seizures, and at that point, it was clear the neurologist had no interest or concern with my well being. So I quit taking it and finally learned ways to control them on my own.

If you gave Nicole a shot of whiskey, she'd likely develop " behavior problems" too. Would you take her to a psychiatrist or stop giving her the central nervous system depressant (that's what alcohol is, by the way). I am really angry to see someone prescribing a powerful drug for you, then telling you the symptoms of being drugged a psychiatric problem (Did that neuro try to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, too?) I don't know where you are or what your situation is, but there are options. If you do want to use only the drug or surgery approach you have the right to find another neuro and the right to tell that doc that the side effects are unacceptable and insist on another medication. There are a number of other ways to manage seizure too, without drugs. You may also want to ask your pharmacist for more in-depth information on lamictal side effects so you have current information when you do see a doctor with her. It is infuriating when someone goes to a doctor for help and instead becomes victimized.

One of the side effects of lamictal, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome ( see info below) , can be life threatening. I don't know how old Nicole is but lamictal's revised warning states the drug should not be given to anyone under age 16. If Nicole is under 16, you may want to consider filing a complaint against the neuro who prescribed the drug. There are a number of lawsuits going on for those injured by taking lamictal. Below is one link. You may want to ask at both these links about her side effects.
http://www.ryar.org/lamictal/

I hope you can find the help you need for Nicole.

Stevens Johnson Syndrome FoundationThe Stevens Johnson Syndrome Foundation (Julie Foundation for allergic drug reactions) is a non profit organization that operates solely through donations ...
http://www.sjsupport.org

Drug Digest

What side effects may I notice from taking lamotrigine?

Side effects you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
•blurred, or double vision
•changes in seizure type or frequency
depression, or mood changes•difficulty walking or controlling muscle movements
•uncontrollable eye movements
•unusual weakness or tiredness

What should I watch for while taking lamotrigine?

If you are using lamotrigine for treatment of bipolar disorder, it is important that you report any changes in your mood to your health care provider. For example, if you should have a worsening of your bipolar disorder, get mentally depressed, feel extremely hyperactive or manic, have difficulty sleeping, have thoughts of hurting yourself or committing suicide, you need to seek help immediately from your health care professional. If you are a caregiver for someone receiving lamotrigine for bipolar disorder, you should also report these behavioral changes immediately.

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_lamictal.pdfhttp://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_lamictal.pdf

Page 37

Nervous System: Frequent: Confusion and paresthesia. Infrequent: Akathisia, apathy, aphasia, CNS depression, depersonalization, dysarthria, dyskinesia, euphoria, hallucinations, hostility, hyperkinesia, hypertonia, libido decreased, memory decrease, mind racing, movement disorder, myoclonus, panic attack, paranoid reaction, personality disorder, psychosis, sleep disorder, stupor, and suicidal ideation. Rare: Cerebellar syndrome, cerebrovascular accident, cerebral sinus thrombosis, choreoathetosis, CNS stimulation, delirium, delusions, dysphoria, dystonia, extrapyramidal syndrome, faintness, grand mal convulsions, hemiplegia, hyperalgesia, hyperesthesia, hypokinesia, hypotonia, manic depression reaction, muscle spasm, neuralgia, neurosis, paralysis, and peripheral neuritis.

Thank you everyone for all your help. I did contact GSK today and they are sending all the effects of Lamictal. I did tell them that she has become hateful and throws things and is becoming uncontrollable at school. They did say that there are some effects related to behavior. I also went to the first link in Zoe's reply and found out that Lamictal is not to be prescribed to anyone under 16. Nicole is only 6. What is wrong with our doctor's? I am so angry right now that I just want to scream and throw these papers that printed off in his face. I want to know when will they listen?? There is so much stress in my house with her behavior. One minute she's screaming at us and the next she's fine. It has been hard for me to determine if this is the drug or the grief from losing her mother. I think I know the truth now, it is the drug. I thought that doctor's where suppose to care. I have such a limited circle of doctors due to my insurance. I am just burning inside right now. I am so grateful for these forums because without these, I really would not know as much as I do. The most disappointing fact is that this doctor is listed on the National Epilepsy Foundation as an Epileptologist. I will keep everyone posted as what happens here. Thank you again everyone, you are all my hope and inspiration.

I was put on Lamictal after a misdiagnosis.

Wow, that drug ruined my life. 3 months after being put on the drug I was virtually homeless and had lost my wife. It is very nasty medication. It is the most destructive drug I have ever taken.

Last edited:
Bloodborne, please tell me what this drug did.

This drug made me completely lose my mind. It made me act completely out of character. We started to fight more, and at the time I blamed her. Now though, after intervention, I realize it was me. We had not even been married for 2 months, and I told her that she needed to leave. Over the next few days, I wandered around the city in a daze, and ended up moving in with some girl named Kelly. After I realized that I was not being me, it was too late to get my wife back. Anyway, now she hates me. The drug caused me to act irrationally and not at all like myself. :(

This drug made me completely lose my mind. It made me act completely out of character.

The drug caused me to act irrationally and not at all like myself. :(

Audio - So sorry to hear that! That sounds
a lot like what Phenobarbital & Keppra did to
me! Made me beside myself or rather a state
of psychosis.

:(

hugs.gif

It's sad when medication side effects can
do stuff like that to some people!

I have been taking lamictal for approx. 23 yrs. I was in the original drug stoudy for the FDA. I do not know of any behavior problems. The meds may have a different reaction to her. I know someone else who takes it and is a nurse. She also said that she has never heard of problems like that.

Could she be reacting to the stigma associated with epilepsy alone? That one alone can really be frustrating and any kid who feels powerless against peers who mock a disorder like this. In elementary school, I experienced treatment like the epilepsy was a disease, and various classmates would give each other fake 'immunization' shots against my 'disease'. Social life can be so isolated. Only the really brave ones sometimes become friends.

I've been on brand name only Lamictal for at least 7 years and I found it to be an excellent drug which made a difference between having seizures and not having seizures. I only buy brand name. It's expensive, I know, but it made a difference between living life 'on the edge' with seizures and being seizure free for at least 6 years.

Lamictal

Nicole has not had a seizure at school yet. I also found out that Lamicatal has been prohibited to children under 16. So I don't understand why they agreed to put her on it. We still have to weigh the fact that she could be acting out due to the loss of her mother last year. She went to see her counselor and the counselor was concerned that her behavior has escalated since last school year. We have an appointment to see a psycharist in January. We also contacted the maufacturer and the person that talked with the nurse there was told that because this drug is also used for bi-polar and because Nicole is not bi-polar, she could start showing the same signs as a bi-polar person. The scary thing about this is that it would be irreverisble. We are going to see another doctor for a 3rd opinion.

And I also refuse to use any generic AED. My copay for her medication is $100 but the cost is well worth it so she doesn't have break through seizures.

I wonder if the effect of Lamictal is similar to what Ritalin does for kids today. Ritalin is a stimulant which prevents Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD). It's been known that stimulants calm or slow down hyperactive kids. I'm wondering if a depressant is causing you granddaughter to actually be hyperactive instead. We had our son on Ritalin and we were told that after puberty, the effect of the drug wears off. She might want to go back on it after 16, but I did not start that drug until I was in my 30s and after I had my son. It was unknown at that time if the drug caused birth defects.

Last edited:
I am trying to use every resource possible to find out what is causing her behavior. The bad thing is that we don't know anything about the biological father and we had his parental rights terminated. The only person that Nicole knows as her daddy is the person that Tina was engaged to. They were together since Tina was 2 months pregnant. I'm hoping that this new doctor will listen to us. If not, I'll find another doctor. I will not give up until someone gives me answers or resources.

They're learning so much about genetics today. It's possible at some point in the future that they will know exactly what can help her in the form of medication or treatment.

It's just so hard to figure out what is causing her behavior problems because there are so many factors to rule out.

It is difficult. I have problems with teen behavior. Is it the meds, the social stigma, emotional changes, hormones.... yikes each day is a roller coaster. I am considering neurofeedback, as it can help with many of the issues that we are dealing with.

A few sessions with a counselor may do a great deal to help her. She might open up her frustrations to a neutral person and reveal things that were not really obvious. My son's poor behavior in school caused him to under perform. He simply did not care if he had an A, B, C ....or F. He had a friend who was a really bad influence. The poor reputation he had was passed on from one year to the next. He finally graduated from high school. His first job was doing manual labor outside in extremely hot/cold weather. He absolutely hated it. We found an online college for him that helped boost his confidence in his scholastic ability. He's exceptionally bright. He then transferred to a college with physical classrooms where he is performing really well. There is hope. It could be an attitude, environment, age, or something else unknown.

Back
Top Bottom