Benadryl and seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KathyJJ

Stalwart
Reaction score
I have been reading that Benadryl can lower your seizure threshold. I have 2 questions. First, does this include those that have seizures but are not on seizure medications. And, how long after you take Benadryl can it cause a seizure? The reason I'm asking this is because for the last few weeks, I have noticed I am having more seizures. I'm not on seizure medications because of bad sad effects. I have allergies and occasionally take benadryl but in the last few weeks, I have been taking Benadryl more days than I did before. There may have been more times than I can remember but for the last two times that I have taken it, I had a seizure the next morning. The 1st time, I took it at bedtime but this last time, I took it around 10:00 am yesterday but this morning, I had a seizure. Now I am very sensitive to medications and because of this, I only took 1/4 of a pill but it still leaves me drowsy the next day. Is it possible, the Bendryl could have triggered this morning's seizure after that length of time? It doesn't seem possible to me but I thought I would just throw it out to others for your opinion. It seems strange that I have had these seizures on the morning after I have taken benadryl. For the time being, I will leave it off and see if my seizures improve. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
I was told long ago not to use Benadryl because it can bring on a seizure for those who are prone to have seizures, even if you're not taking an AED.

So yes, it is possible that the Benadryl could have triggered the seizure.

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/provoke_otc
Do over-the-counter (OTC) drugs affect seizures?

A few medicines that you pick up off the shelf at the drug store can potentially increase the frequency of seizures in people with epilepsy, or even cause first-time seizures. The most common one of this kind is probably diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in medications like Benadryl, which is used for colds, allergies, and to promote sleep. If you have epilepsy, you should talk to your doctor before you use it.

I used to take it in the form of ZzzQuil to help me sleep at night. It took me awhile to figure out that the more often I took it, the more seizures I'd have. For me, it made things a lot worse.

Thank you to both of you for your replies. My husband has told me many times about many medications over the years that it was like my body doesn't flush them out like it should. I'm beginning to wonder if he was right. I'm going to leave it off and see how my seizures do. Hopefully, they will at least get back to like they were. Thanks again!!

what types of medicine are we supposed to take for our colds and allergies then? Cause I take benadryl.

what types of medicine are we supposed to take for our colds and allergies then? Cause I take benadryl.

That's what I would like to know also. If you find out, let me know and I will do the same. It may not have been the Benadryl that caused my seizures but if it wasn't, then it is a strange coincidence that it only happened the mornings after I had taken one the day before.

As with caffeine, everyone reacts differently. If you're not sure, play it safe, and avoid medicines with diphenhydramine (the active ingredient in medications like Benadryl). It doesn't hurt to ask your neuro, allergist, or pharmacist.

When I have a cold, I don't take any medications, except an occasional ibuprofen or Tylenol if I have a headache. I eat chicken soup, and I use a neti pot/saline rinse. That's it.

I once was going to an ENT dr. because I kept getting upper respiratory infections and he prescribed Allegra. At the time it wasn't an OTC med and it doesn't have diphenhydramine. I now take Claritin. It doesn't have that ingredient, either.

What Types of Antihistamines Are Available?

Examples of OTC antihistamines:

Allegra (fexofenadine)
Benadryl (diphenhydramine)
Dimetane (brompheniramine)
Claritin, Alavert (loratadine)
Tavist (clemastine)
Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine)
Zyrtec (certirizine)

Doing some browsing on my computer and found this post on benadryl.

I have, as far as I know, never had a seizure. My family does, though, have a history of seizures...one brother took a med that lowered his seizure threshold, a niece had a neuro condition which caused seizures, and my other brother began Grand Mal seizuring after being knocked unconscious in a football game.

Ok, although it's been awhile since I took any benadryl, when I did take it, no problem. Now something distressing has occurred...

Took a child's dose of benadryl before going to bed one night recently and woke up unable to move my tongue correctly. A friend described it this way...sounded like gibberish. Tongue felt thick.

Went to the ER, stroke ruled out. Also the doc didn't think it was a TIA. Could it have been some sort of seizure?

Thank you,

Anna

I used to take diphenhydramine to help me sleep, before the seizures started. It kept me awake because it would give me the worse case of restless limbs. Even before I went to bed, the restless limbs would start.

AnnaBettina, if the tongue-paralysis is muscular only, then it might be some sort of allergic reaction to the Benadryl. My father had a similar reaction to the swine flu vaccine; fortunately the side effect wore off after a few days.

If the problem was more cognitive than muscular (i.e., you had no problem physically moving your tongue, but could not communicate what you intended to), then there could be a neurological issue.

With your family history, it's worth being cautious, but if there have been no other unusual symptoms, then it may be a one-time fluky event.

Back
Top Bottom