Bike Riding for fun or transportation?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JRuner

New
Reaction score
I would like to know who bike rides and if you don't mind sharing, do you feel safe doing it? I am thinking about buying a three wheeled bike sometime for going to the store and losing some baggage around the waist since I live in a small town.

Thanks,
John Runer

HUH.. John.. I was just looking at ads for 3 wheeled bikes too to go to the store a few blocks away..staying on the side of the road of course. I am a bit scared as I live on a hwy that trucks and cars go by so fast at times ..and.. because my legs do not work well due to MS. But its a goal.

Your post made me laugh at first.. NOT at YOU or your question but once I had a patient of mine with TCs so he could not drive.. got around on his 2 wheel bike..but... had a seizure WHILE riding his bike..crashes into a tree..and wakes up to find cops over him. But get this..He got a DUI and drug charge for marijuana on him at the time of the accident. I NEVER had to treat ( I was a drug and alcohol therapist) anyone who got a DUI on a bike before. LOL

I would like to hear from others about riding a bike...

Jan

I have 3 bikes two-wheel bikes. The one I've used the most has skinny tires, hand brakes, several pouches for storage, generator lights, a water bottle holder and at least 10 gears. It's great on smooth terrain.
My 2nd bike is a mountain bike that goes on just about any terrain. It's slightly heavier, but works well in rain.
My 3rd bike is from when I was a kid. It has 3 gears and has been pretty worn down. Guess I used it pretty heavily.

I suppose a three wheeler is OK. I live near a lady who rides it across the street to go to the store. She's up there in years, but it's probably a great form of exercise which is known to reduce stress.

Personally, I've never had a seizure on my two wheeled bikes. I do get a warning ahead of time to stop and sit down.

The bike riding is kind of dangerous in a city setting. I find that I have to be twice as alert as car/truck drivers who are around me.

Last edited:
And.. I am one of those ladies getting UP in her years.. well..61 to be exact. A 3 wheeler sounds pretty right for me !! LOL

Jan

Personally, I've never had a seizure on my two wheeled bikes. I do get a warning ahead of time to stop and sit down.

This is me too. I used to ride bikes a lot. Not anothing special, just a good hour of riding on the cool paved trails by my house. I stopped riiding regularly and tried to start again after my diagnosis and beginning my meds. I don't know if I was just thinking too hard, but each time while on my way home (thru a residental area, thank goodness) I had to get off my bike and sit down. For some reason it would happen near this park pavilion I pass, so I sat in the grass waiting for something to happen. Luckily it didnt. Since then, I have rode my bike some, but never more then a mile or 2...and on pretty flat terrain.

Now I don't know if it was the epilepsy, the meds, or I just don't have the stamina I used to... but I am more alert.

I'm lucky, never has a seizure on my 2 wheeler. I ride more for fun than transport and usually have company. We have A LOT of bike trails here but its a busy city and we are well known for our bad drivers!

Bad personal experience. had a seizure on my bike when i was 15. was an absence seizure and rammed head first into a tree. thankfully all bones intact ( though what's left of my brain may have got even more messed up !). Was just feet away from a red light. stopped riding bikes on the street since then - still think about the time i could have been roadkill.

I ride, a bike as my preferred and primary mode of transportaion, had to do something since i lost my motorcycle. and i worked at a bike shop before all this started, and have since been fired from a few :)

I have about 40 stitches in my face from bike related crashes since I ended up with seizures. ran into a cop car once, and have totaled out my favorite steel road bike since then. :)

I wouldn't haven't it any other way.
img_0297_8_9.jpg

Good for you..:clap: s

Sorry about your injuries but that doesn't seem to stop you.

What are you looking at in this pic..and WHAT are you looking at? :ponder:

Take care

Jan

Good for you..:clap: s

Sorry about your injuries but that doesn't seem to stop you.

What are you looking at in this pic..and WHAT are you looking at? :ponder:

Take care

Jan

DUH.. I meant WHO took this picture of you???

GREAT PIC on your profile.. like ART!!! DIVINE!!

I took a photography class..and took these GREAT pics.. only that I did not have the right setting.. set the dial on a littlep chip on the camera...not the REAL dial..DUH.. NOW its funny !!! :roflmao:

Jan

I thought I would revive this old thread. I found it while googling "bike seizures" and blammo, I found CWE.

Since I lost my drivers license (revoked indefinitely because of my epilepsy) I have been commuting to work. It's a 7 mile trip one way on a road with a bike lane and a speed limit upwards of 50 MPH. I've had plenty of seizures while riding. I think the heavy breathing cause me to hyperventilate a bit. Just today I didn't have any seizures until I got on my bike and rode home. My seizures have no aura, but they are very mild so I don't lose consciousness. So far I've managed okay. Road riding is not for the faint of heart so if you do decide to take up cycling, make sure to read up on the laws and practice defensive biking.

Bike Riding, Interesting

I find this topic very interestimg b/c I was told 39 yrs. ago that b/c of my E I couldn't ride a bike or participate in ANY sports as my co-ordination was so bad from the long term use of the meds.

I tried riding a bike a few yrs ago and went flying and almost broke my neck.

It gives a whole new meaning to the term "it's just like riding a bike."

Randy

Ok I'll also revive the old thread. I have a bike and use it a bit for pleasure, exercise. Course I don't have seizures medicated like I am. I'm not 100% comfortable on it, balance is not what it used to be in my younger years. I wonder if these meds has affected my balance at all. Hmmm, there I go blaming the meds again. It's a bad habit. I have bad anxiety dr. says is not from my medicine. Guess I'm just old and cranky. Y'all be careful out there on your bikes so nobody runs you over.

It just occurred to me that maybe those Segway devices might be good to use. They automatically retain balance, retain speed when going across roadways and allow us to stop them when necessary. Just a thought.

Anxiety going across a busy roadway might be something everybody goes through even if they are driving a car.

I used to ride until my 2nd yr of high school. The new place we moved to really had no where to go on a bike, so I got rid of it.
I'm thinking of getting a new one now, though. I want it mostly to ride around our immediate neighborhood for exercise.

I gave up my bike few months back my reflex not quick it partly e and partly arthritis

I ride my bike for fun, both on road and on mountain bike trails. I love the sense of freedom I get when I am on my bike

Back
Top Bottom