Biofeedback, Nutrition

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bad sleep, racing thoughts and whala...Breakthrough today - morning T/C. Sweetness/girlfriend at his side, thank God.

The usual muscle pains, tongue bitten but less severe than we have seen. Recovery, faster than ever. Memory super sharp within hours, over all external well being/appearance very good (no black eyes, skin radiant). The supplements (recently added B complex @D) are making a difference.

Seizures are changing, he started with morning/nocturnal T/C then day breaks and now back to nocturnal, hopefully we in permanent reverse mode back to none :) can hope.

Biofeedback and therapy are helping him to be more aware of body and brain as one. Can describe Biofeedback /neuro- therapy as teaching the brain to break a bad habit it has become accustomed to follow, but to truly train the brain away from a habit this training/road takes time because you need to train the brain not to follow the path it would normally…but he is feeling and we are seeing a difference…it is known for performance boost one we know the E meds can rob you of due to med fog. We are following this through with this all the way…all the way.

Serious chat about sleep structure, a late sleeper and late waker, and lots of insomnia...agreed to a few months of early morning rising to change his inner clock to make him tired, give it a shot.

Stocked up on all organics and they were surprised that the $ dif was not as high as they expected...They reading every label to identify the BAD.....Milk is as of this past week, not banished but brought back to min and organic only....

Furthermore, he out there living it up with the 'young', was at rocking concert along with 40,000 other beings :) had the time of their lives, off on a holiday soon…Now that’s we want to hear....got E but still celebrate life as especially the young should be doing…

Always an option to explore...and we will continue to do so. Thank u lovely CWE members; thank U with all my heart.

I'm sorry your son had the seizure Chaz, but it's great that there are many positive signs emerging nonetheless.

Well shucks!! Glad he had somebody that he trusts and cares for him by his side. Sounds like you have an amazing son who isnt afraid to get back on the horse and ride again. Good for him!

Question - you mentioned milk. Is milk not good for E or in just some people with E? Is it dairy products in general?

B vitamins and Music

You may be interested in reading my reply (regarding B vitamins) to the following thread:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f42/4-y-o-new-seizures-15050/

I also listen to relaxing music. Here are some examples:

Vangelis - Theme's from the movie''Missing''

Le Grand Bleu - The Big Blue Overture

Enya - Watermark

Pachelbel - Canon In D Major

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Regards,

Andrew

Last edited:
thanks Andrew, I will read your B info 4 sure.....4 sure.

Kaitybugsmom. Life for living is our family motto :)

All dairy should be organic (look up MSG and epilepsy and plenty on CWE and one hit with net on dairy and E and you will be amazed

You could consider getting your daughter check for mineral deficiency/toxicity and vit deficiency.

I found below informative
http://drlwilson.com/Articles/epilepsy.htm

http://www.msgtruth.org/epilepsy.htm

And seriously informative, yes dogs too but human also and again seriously informative.
http://dogtorj.tripod.com

Thanks for the links Chaz. WOW! Looks like its time to go clean out the fridge and cupboards :/

I should probably do the same, kaity. It won't affect my seizures but might get rid of some of my other health problems.

Im just horrified! I have a huge fridge that is holding mass amounts of aspartame just between the diet soda and the light yogurt. Here I thought I was doing myself a favor. I just read something that RobinN posted (eeek, I think it was RobinN?) about aspartame. Maybe thats whats wrong with ME! I was diagnosed with vertigo now Im thinking its the high amount of aspartame I've been poisoning myself with! Not to mention that the kids are eating it too! YIKES nothing feels worse than knowing your poisoning yourself AND your family :cry:

\Kaitybugsmom

ban all - aspartame ......ban it....4ever......

No harm in ruling out triggers one by one :)....because who knows if/when you will hit the jackpot (seizure free) but we can sure can try and healthy diet will help towards healthy brain…fact.

I would like to suggest that you start at beginning of Rebecca’s story and work your way through the whole story/lot...informative is an understatement, educative, pro active management , hopeful and so so much more to learn from Robin sharing the journey helping her daughter to well being...

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/neurofeedback-rebecca-s-story-2733/

Robin - u rock..

Yes definitely ban aspartame! that stuff can seriously mess up your whole internal digestive system! . and I'll have to read it. I haven't looked into any of the dedication stories yet.

It is a remarkable story! :)

I was already familiar with biofeedback therapy however, I wasnt aware that they were using it for epilepsy. It is becoming a hot topic in the ADHD community as an alternative treament. Our youngest son is 8 and has ADHD and takes 20mg Adderal XR a day. It is at this point the only way for him to 'function' We struggled with the decesion to medicate for 2 years. We tried everything prior to waving the flag and giving him meds. Now that biofeedback is getting wonderful reviews we have talked about trying it out. Bad news...closest place that does it is about 4 hours away (one-way)

Kaitybugsmom, Id seriously keep up the research.

Great read is Epilepsy a New Approach, got me 2 copies 2nd hand for a few $.

Bernard has created a great review page on books
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f40/

Even talk therapy can help, I know my Son just did not stand still to reflect and being such a busy bee he simply does not notice that by not stopping to reflect and let go - everything is being stored (in the negative cupboard in his brain). When emotional stress gets ON TOP of him we can be sure of T/C seizure (and partials).
Talk therapy is teaching him emotionally to not to be such a busy bee, breath and relax and let go…biofeedback therapy teaching his brain to we pray have better seizure control. As mentioned its road that takes time and for some it’s not affordable (I hate to even have to write that but it’s a fact) BUT is well, well worth exploring....

My Son has another session tomorrow, going to chat to him later this week and see what more he has to share on his biofeedback experience.

You have made my morning begin with a very warm hug. Thank you.

So important for many (I understand... not all) to realized there is much in their control to improve health. It no longer has to be a "label". Taking one step at a time can reverse so much harm done. No need to beat ourselves up for going that path. It is advertised to us incessantly, and we simply did not know. However, now that we do, we must take the necessary steps by making the right choices.

I looked it up and it is great information.

I have an excess of glutamate in my brain, so I am changing over to the gluten-free diet.

Thank you for the book recommendation Chaz. I will definately check it out. There are a ton of treatment options and im sure some may work and others wont. The brain is such a tricky thing to figure out however we're leaning tword diet and sleep. Some people I have talked to disagree with me as they say she wasnt doing or eating anything that wasn't 'normal' for her body. Ok, I will agree with that..she wasnt. However I think that at a point if you're susceptibal or have a predisposition tword seizure the build up over time was finally the 'trigger' We're going to start 'weeding' out some bad stuff and get on a better sleep schedule. If it doesnt help with the seizures its certainly not going to hurt the rest of our bodies to be healthier right?

Robin, the biggest hug by the biggest huggy bear does not even come close to the hug I am sending you.

Ruth, how was it recognized that you had too much glutamate in your brain? Will very much look forward to hearing about your journey. There is actually a ton of good gluten free products these days :)

Kaitybugsmom “certainly not going to hurt the rest of our bodies to be healthier right? ". Absolutely, little changes, little steps towards an overall healthier family :) can’t be a bad thing…and potentially rule out diet triggers as its worth exploring the triggers. The subtle changes that cannot harm are where to start because too much too soon is simply too hard going on everyone.

Hi Chaz,

I am in an AD support group. That was the start of my journey. I wanted to do as much research as I could, because AD is "still in the closet." I will not allow myself to be hidden away. In my AD group, I learned that one of the medicines for AD is excess glutamate in the brain. The FDA will not approve the medicine for early stage AD. I have to be so advanced that it would not do any good.

I wanted to learn as much so I came here. My friends here have so much knowledge about diet and nutrition. I had read in the past about the gluten free diet. It was quite simple, I get my diet and nutrition from my friends here.

I am just starting the diet so it will take me a while to get the products. If everyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/my01140

Thank you for sharing Ruth. Will be interested to see how the diet makes you 'feel'. Keep us posted.

So a little update from our side. Biofeedback therapy was missed due to busy schedule :(
The horrid insomnia, admitted that he had slowly moved to a night schedule (not living home), which means in fact a no sleep schedule, late, later to bed then late, later up out of bed = late routine for med and supplements.

Day 2 on trail for getting up early 8:00ishAM (hmm) and he finds himself beat and in need have sleep by 23:00/11:00PM. So he has reported 2 great night’s sleep in a row…1st in months.

Had real honest talk with his greater half today and was a big relief for her i.e. is the behavior the meds, the individual people or the relationship causing chaos, we decide mostly the relationship and had wonderful heart to heart, hopefully that will help them both cope a little better, at least for today.

So we will plug on staying open and honest and working to rule out the seizure triggers, and as we know it’s the utter tiredness and emotional stress that can bring them on full force...
As loved ones/family of those with E, the better the understanding WE have of 'E' and all that surrounds 'it' the better we can support our loved ones.

Sorry about your change in schedule. We have had that in the past. I know how you feel.

I like your positive attitude, keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom