Birth Control and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have read a few articles about the effect of birth control with AED's and I know that they lower the effectiveness of both. From a recent post I have been having and irregular period...and obviously am on some drugs. I would like to avoid going on 'the pill' but I do not want to cross that out if it will make things more regular.

Is anyone here on birth control and taking meds? If so, how is it?

I've been on Orto Tri Cyclin Lo along with Keppra and Topamax and the only problem I know of is that I was warned it would not prevent pregnancy. I was later switched to the newer pill Yaz, but after being ill and not keeping any medication from a severe severe severe (worst ever) flu that landed me in the hospital I decided to go ahead and quit the Yaz because since I wasn't using it for the birth control aspect and my periods were regular I really had no need to be on it.
Anyway, my neuro had no problem either time with me being on BC and me seizure medications. I'm not sure if it depends on the ones you are on though so it would be completely up to your doctors.

my daughter just started on 10/26 hoping to stop the catamenial seizures. She takes trileptal, keppra, and depakote. She took Seasonique for 8 days. She had 6 seizures so we changed to a progesterone only pill. She may have had one small one at the theater on Saturday so we'll see. Be aware too that estrogen can lower seizure threshold, while progesterone can raise the threshold. That's why we quit taking Seasonique because it has estrogen in it.

The prob can be that anti-conv can reduce the efficacy of BCP. Trileptal is one. Now BCP can reduce the serum levels of depakote, making the efficacy of depakote diminish.

Most neuros don't have a prob with BCP, you just have to find the right one for your med regimen.

Also with BCP you can have break through bleeding. We just had that with my daughter after going on the progesterone only pill.

I'd talk to the neuro then the gyno.

Good luck

Well, back when I was on depakote, I also was on Depo Provera. I was scared of the possible side effects of depakote if I got pregnant. Now, 5 + years after going off of both, my hubby and I are still trying to get pregnant. So whatever Birth Control you choose, make sure you read up on it. I never thought I'd have to worry about not having kids.....

Hi..

I can't find anything else on the site about this. What do the other ladies on this site use? I've never been a fan of the pill anyway, and I've read that it doesn't work on the with AED's. I absolutely do not want to get pregnant, and my boyfriend and I are sick of using condoms. We've both been tested and we're both clean, so the only reason for using condoms is the pregnancy risk. Other options out there? I'm seeing a gynie next week but wanted to find out what other ladies here use. I'm on 100mg Topamax and 400mg Tegretol.

Ha.

I was told that my seizure meds had made me sterile (I had been on them from the age of 1). By the age of 20, I was pregnant. *eyeroll* No, I wasn't using ANYTHING THEN. After my daughter, I IMMEDIATELY went on BCP, plus condoms, AND IUD. STILL got pregnant. TWICE. And YES, I was using them ALL correctly.

I'm just your regular screw-up. After son #2, I handed hubby his appointment card for HIS vasectomy.

Last edited:
Lol... great... You just gave me something to think about there... this is just lovely. Use all of them correctly and still fall pregnant. I think I'll go for the tube tying then.

Well........

I take both tegretol and lamictal. Got pregnant with triplets on the pill (had twins and yes I took it religiously). Tegretol actually lowers the effects of the birth control. I've been on Depo Provera and I love it! No monthly, extra progesterone to help with hormones (I tended to seize around my monthly), and less worry.

Hi There

The oral contraceptive pill does not make epileptic seizures more or less likely to happen, and there's no reason why the pill can't be used as a form of contraception. But, there are some anti-convulsants that may reduce the efficacy of the pill. A contraceptive pill with a higher oestrogen content may be needed. The drugs that interfere with the pill include carbamazepine, phenytoin,and phenobarbitone, it would appear that sodium valproate doesn't have this effect.

I hope it helps a wee bit, I'm sure your doctor will be able to advise you on which would be the best pill to take, I just wish I could remember the one I used to take before I went through "the change" at least it's one less pill for me take every day!

Always the joker me!! You could always put the pill in his shoe and make him limp!!!!!

All The Best

Elaine xx

Great idea, Elaine!! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I was told that my seizure meds had made me sterile (I had been on them from the age of 1). By the age of 20, I was pregnant. *eyeroll* No, I wasn't using ANYTHING THEN. After my daughter, I IMMEDIATELY went on BCP, plus condoms, AND IUD. STILL got pregnant. TWICE. And YES, I was using them ALL correctly.

I'm just your regular screw-up. After son #2, I handed hubby his appointment card for HIS vasectomy.

I have a friend whose hubby had a V 7 yrs ago after their second son was born. Hmm she started feeling badly this past April or so and found out she was preggers!!!! Yes it's his kid and yes he got tested and yes he has an extremely low sperm count. So low that they told him that if they were trying to get preggers, to give up. Well 7yrs later they are expecting their 3rd son. Actually being induced on 12/29. Now if that doesn't make us moms of 6 go DAMN:cry:

Back
Top Bottom