biting tongue during seizure...ow

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have broken my nose 3 times falling ripped apart my face on the cement, and I don't know how many times I chew up my tongue to the point where I couldn't talk or eat.A lot of warm salt water. Because it rips all of your taste buds off.Good luck to us all.;)

I use medicated mouthwash from the chemist. It takes out a lot of the pain and helps it heal much faster.

Mine started as simple partials when I was 12. Then I had Tonic-Clonics from 13 til 15. I was seizure free for 3.5 years. Day before yesterday I had a tonic-clonic seizure again. Now I'm 19 :(

a seizure is severe no matter what ur body goes threw terrible pain and contractions and spasm, so basically when u seiz ur bitting down as hard as the human body can and anything in the way, well u know the results

Well, I seem to always bite my tongue after my grand mal seizures worse time was I had bitten down so hard that it cracked a tooth in half and had to have it removed. Another time while driving toward Los Angeles on Interstate 10 I rolled my truck as a result of the seizure and ended up getting a hernia operation so I have had some tough ones.:e:

I used to bite my tongue alot and before I knew I had epilepsy so I was like, "wth?" It was always at night. Now I sleep differently....I have 3 firm pillows propped up, I sleep on my left side, at about a 45 degree slope, curled somewhat in a fetal position. I pull the blankets around my arms and hands and put my left fist under my chin. I'm kind of bracing my chin in place. I still have alot of nocturnal t/c's but i haven't bitten my tongue in years. :woot:

Do you definitely know when you have seizures in your sleep? I wonder of I ever have.

mel most people do you wake up out of ur sleep majority of times in my own personal experience no dr. but i sleep towards wall so my wife can also try and wake up if she dont i normally hit side of my head on wall or will feel all the aches next morning and will sleep all day if possible or more to come!

Do you definitely know when you have seizures in your sleep? I wonder of I ever have.

I used to think they were just nightmares. But with my current husband I would wake up and say, "I had the <insert name of my nightmare - yes i name them as they repeat>. He'd say honey you were having a seizure. So as I journaled all of these events I realized hmm, what I think are nightmares are seizures. Well and on top of it sometimes I piss myself, so that's an obvious one!

I used to bite my tongue alot and before I knew I had epilepsy so I was like, "wth?" It was always at night. Now I sleep differently....I have 3 firm pillows propped up, I sleep on my left side, at about a 45 degree slope, curled somewhat in a fetal position. I pull the blankets around my arms and hands and put my left fist under my chin. I'm kind of bracing my chin in place. I still have alot of nocturnal t/c's but i haven't bitten my tongue in years. :woot:

Can you go into more detail about your fist and pillow propping? How can you keep your fist there while sleeping and is the left side preferable to the right side for pillows and sleeping?

I just started having seizures only when I sleep. I'm in my late 50's and think that its related to a low sodium, low fat diet (self imposed healthy diet). Can prostate meds trigger seizures? Anyone else suspect that correlation? It seems that the seizures started at about the same time as I started taking two prostate meds daily. How about soy? I eat so many soybeans daily. I'm a very athletic individual and have no other medical issues

Try working with your dentist to get a mouth guard. I was a teeth clencher at night before seizures were diagnosed, and my dentist made a mouth guard to protect my teeth. Once seizures were diagnosed and I was on medication my teeth clenching was much reduced (so now we knew why I was clenching my teeth in the first place). The night guard is snuggly fit to my bottom teeth so it doesn't roll around in my mouth, and has the added benefit that it works to keep my tongue in the center of my mouth and can't be bit on!

Many years back, before I was diagnosed, I bit my tongue almost in half. I had to get a bunch of stitches and couldn't eat solids for a month. I remember that metallic taste of blood so well because it was always at the front of my awareness. It was just horrible. Before that and since, I've bitten my cheeks. I've had scars on both sides for as long as I can remember. More often, I manage to give myself black eyes though. I have a habit of standing up just before I have a seizure so I always take a hard fall. The funniest of those was when I was in the doctor's office and he had one of those hard woven mats. I stood, fell, seized and cracked my cheek bone. The bruise took on the intricate patterns of the mat, so I was walking around with a beautiful woven bruise for weeks.

I get awful tongue and particularly cheek bitings which can stop me wanting to eat for up to a week from just pain.

I have found orajel to be great, only temporary and it makes you a little bit dribbly! But it's good stuff.

Good luck heal up soon x

:hugs:
He goes to kindergarten on Monday so then it will be me and my 3 year old, who will be going to preschool in a couple weeks. I need a roommate!

Hi,
Have you possibly considered the option of a Canine Assistance Seizure Service Dog? They have them available all over the US and most of them are free. Something to consider as a "helpmate" for you.

Terri

P.S. I always bite my tongue, front & right side, so I know how you feel. I even do it when I have those Nocturnal seizures, which I can't stand either. I have been dealing with this since I was 17 & I am fixing to turn 48, but over the years I have gotten adjusted to it, but it still hurts no doubt!!!

Last edited:
My last "big one" in May caused me to chew my tongue up pretty bad. I had to take nearly a week off of work due to not being able to talk very well. I've also had many mornings over the years where I woke up with my tongue hurting and it appeared that I chomped on it while sleeping. Probably from a seizure but I'm not sure. Don't really mind having to live off milkshakes for a while tho....love me some mint cookies and cream shakes from Steak n Shake. :) Hang in there.... E messes with us bad

Pulling teeth

I am looking for a dentist now who will remove my teeth... The tongue biting hurts too much for too long. Has anyone else done this, or considered it? Results? I've broken too many teeth and chewed up my tongue now too many times. I'll let y'all know if I'm happy with dentures (easy to remove before I start biting, as my warning aura gives me ten or fifteen seconds usually).

My last seizure (18 days ago) was horrible. I bit my tongue up very bad. Its still trying to heal and I have to watch what I eat carefully. As it is starting healing it feels more and more like my tongue has big canker sores all over it. I had so much blood on my sheets to wash. UGH!!! :(

Back
Top Bottom