Blood sugar relationship to seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ddr1166

New
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a correlation to low blood sugar - meaning, can that be a possible trigger for a seizure? Thanks again.

Yes, low blood sugar can be a seizure trigger. Diabetics can have seizures because of blood sugar issues.

Low blood sugar is a trigger for me.

Fluctuating blood sugar can get you into all kinds of trouble. People with hyperglycemia tend to have focal or local seizures. And those who are hypoglycemic, tend to have tonic-clonic seizures…

What brought on this low blood sugar?

I don't know for sure it was low blood sugar, but he's been pushing himself at work, and I think had gone 5-6 hours without eating. So, I was trying to eliminate/discover the cause, as I think it can be a guessing game a bit.

For us the connection was multiple clues pointing in the same direction. It is definitely a cause for Rebecca.

Interesting new findings on the damage fructose, in all forms, can do to blood sugar balance.

A seizure can be caused by a combination of low blood sugar and other trigger factors as well -- things like dehydration, fatigue, electrolyte imbalance, foods with aspartame or MSG, etc.

I was surprised to learn this week that Dilantin/phenytoin can affect blood sugar. Possibly other drugs can as well.

Yes! I was having seizures as a combo result of how sleep apnea affects your insulin resistance and eating and drinking too many things with sugar. Once I did a 180 on my diet it stopped.

The bood sugar problem is what makes diabetes and epilepsy "kissing cousins." Both can be caused by irregular blood sugar. And both can cause seizures.

I'm sure they are somehow related.

My son started having absence seizures some time last year and now my hubby was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Thinking everyone in my family should go on the modified atkins diet but too tired to try.

I think I'll go crawl under a rock now...tired of dealing with my "boys" and all their issues (multiple food allergies, autism, seizures, diabetes, UGH!).

Well, maybe if you put them on M.A.D. that would help with the seizures...diabetes...and the food allergies! It's worth a shot.

Hang in there honey. If not now, there's always later.

I don't know if we are allowed to name books on here, but I just read two books on diet/blood sugar:

1) The New Sugar Busters

2) Stop Pre-Diabetes Now

Both have tons of good info. They aren't about Epilepsy, but in terms of diet, they tell you how to stabilize your blood sugar. So in that sense they do have a lot to offer in terms of seizure control. There's lots of good food we can still eat. The main ones they say we can't eat are:

High Fructose Corn Syrup
Sucrose
White Rice
White Potatoes
White Pasta

While in Washington D.C. about a month ago, we drove 3 days, 10-11hrs a day for those three days. LONG trip up there and back. But after a 5hr train ride from Austin to Dallas, I was picked up by my interpreter and instructor in Dallas just to continue the trip to GA! I eat something small on the train without breakfast, then in Dallas we eat fast food, Sonic I think which is no good. I don't eat like that anymore but its hard to eat well while traveling across the country in three days.
SO- I would stop and try and get food that was filling etc.
While at Gallaudet Univ. in D.C. we had three meals a day but usually I have to have something to eat every two-three hours or I get nausious and tired.
On my second day I was really tired and hadn't slept well for those three days at all. That caused a seizure that second night and everyone was worried and constantly making sure I ate. If I had lack of food, then I would get a migraine or seizure- so kinda hard to keep things balanced without having a good diet..

I do believe that low sugar causes a lot of problems for me. Migraine or seizure or weakness. So as soon as I feel nausious, I go and get crackers or candy. The candy isn't the best choice but I get what I can.
The other day, I went to my friend to community college to fill paperwork out with her. I didn't eat well and we had to walk all over downtown to find the school. It was raining too and my poor guide dog was wet! LOL
Anyway- I started getting sick and scarft down some chex mix I brought with me. Thank God I did.
Then I found a vending machine and got Skittles which last a long time with me since I have TMJ hehehe.

I learned my lesson.
Take care
Crystal

I'm sure they are somehow related.

My son started having absence seizures some time last year and now my hubby was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Thinking everyone in my family should go on the modified atkins diet but too tired to try.

I think I'll go crawl under a rock now...tired of dealing with my "boys" and all their issues (multiple food allergies, autism, seizures, diabetes, UGH!).

http://www.foodmatters.tv_webapp_348606/How_to_Overcome_Candida_Naturally

I found this to be of interest.

Back
Top Bottom