Blood tests?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loopy Lou

Veteran
Reaction score
My neurologist requested that i take blood and urine tests. The nurse who took the tests said she "thinks" that it might be to check for thyroid stuff (can't think of the word that means how well it's working!), but she wasn't sure.

Why would he request these? I thought that would come under a different person than my neurologist.

Well, sometimes

a neurologist will request a basic scan, and then if they think something is out of line, then they will refer you to someone else to take care of it. Hormonal imbalances, including the thyroid (it's one of the master glands in the body) can cause some serious problems with the seizure threshold...

Go ahead and take the test...it's no big deal, really. If you go to www.webMD.com, they have a lot of good information there.

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

Nah, i've already taken the test. The nurse asked me was i squeamish about blood and needles and looked shocked when i said "Nah, that doesn't bother me, just don't stick a plaster - band-aid as americans call it - on afterward!"

She didn't get why i don't mind needles but am terrified of sticky things!

FUNCTION! Thats the word i was trying to think of, and it was right on the tip of my tongue! I'm a daft bugger sometimes.

Thanks for the link - i'll go check it out :p

Other Blood Tests

Your doctor may decide to run various other blood tests, including blood levels of medications you may be taking for seizure control. These tests are most often ordered when seizures continue to occur or when medication-induced side effects are suspected

Yeah this sounds about right... I have been having problems with small seizures (absences) and suspected nocturnal ones, so perhaps that's why.

*scratches chin thoughtfully*

Also, i realised today how much of my hair has fallen out. I have bald patches now O.0

Maybe they can pick up a reason for that on the blood tests.

THAT can

be from meds OR it can be from the thyroid issues. That's possibly the reason why the neuro requested the tests in the first place. You should see mine falling out.

I'm losing both my hair and my intelligence as the days go by - good thing i had plenty of both to start with! I'm avoiding wearing my hair up so it doesn't show my baldy bits :pfft:

Back
Top Bottom