Body movement as a seizure trigger??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if any of you ever felt that moving a specific part of the body can give you strange sensation or cause you to have a seizure?

Oh, HECK yeah! :agree:I'm almost 100% sure that my big seizures have been caused by sharp, jerking motions with my arm. The very first one I had happened when I jerked open the refrigerator door while in a particular hurry, another one occurred when I was practicing tae kwon do (punch, punch, kick; punch, punch, kick; punch Argh! down I went:eek:) another was when I was sweeping up grass clippings after doing a lot of yard work in really hot weather, another when I grabbed open a heavy door that was about to close on someone whose arms were full...I've never had a full seizure that didn't occur in similar circumstances.

My seizures are simple partial motor seizures caused by a brain tumor in the pre-motor cortex of my left hemisphere. But I would think (for what it's worth:)) that seizures, whatever the cause, could be triggered by movement of a particular body part as long as the seizure originated in the area of the brain that controls that body part.

After a few of these episodes, I started walking around with my arm held close to my body without realizing what I was doing. People started asking me if I had hurt my arm or something:rolleyes::lol:

Oh, HECK yeah! :agree:I'm almost 100% sure that my big seizures have been caused by sharp, jerking motions with my arm. The very first one I had happened when I jerked open the refrigerator door while in a particular hurry, another one occurred when I was practicing tae kwon do (punch, punch, kick; punch, punch, kick; punch Argh! down I went:eek:) another was when I was sweeping up grass clippings after doing a lot of yard work in really hot weather, another when I grabbed open a heavy door that was about to close on someone whose arms were full...I've never had a full seizure that didn't occur in similar circumstances.

My seizures are simple partial motor seizures caused by a brain tumor in the pre-motor cortex of my left hemisphere. But I would think (for what it's worth:)) that seizures, whatever the cause, could be triggered by movement of a particular body part as long as the seizure originated in the area of the brain that controls that body part.

After a few of these episodes, I started walking around with my arm held close to my body without realizing what I was doing. People started asking me if I had hurt my arm or something:rolleyes::lol:

Hmmm..Interesting.

My seizures are only myoclonic but the wierd thing is that i can scratch my chin with my left arm and won't feel a thing while lifting the arm or droping it but when i will scratch my nose i will feel this sensation which will make me nervous.that's when i can seize for a second or almost seize i just get annoying feeling and the epiliptologist said he almost certain its psychological and i need to do eeg and doing this arm movenment to see if ill have some epileptic activity.

P.S=If i don't think about it usually sometimes i don't feel anything while using my arm.

btw glad do know im not the only one in the world :p

Back
Top Bottom