Bone loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gnault

New
Reaction score
Anybody have issues with bone loss? I'm the greatest at dental hygiene, but the dentist/dental hygienist have mentioned bone loss on upper and lower jaw. There are a lot of things to think about when you are on certain medications long term.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Some of the anti-seizure meds are known to cause bone loss, particularly Dilantin (phenytoin). I switched off of it after about two years because it was starting to cause a little gum overgrowth. But I haven't had any trouble since being on Lamictal. I get my teeth cleaned twice a year, and the dentist hasn't noticed any bone loss in my jaws.

You might have your vitamin D levels checked and/or ask about getting a bone scan done. Supplementing with D/Calcium/Magnesium can help. If you're at risk for osteoporosis, it's also a good idea to do weight-bearing exercises and exercises that strengthen the core muscles.

(btw, I moved this thread out of The Foyer and into The Kitchen).

Some may depend on age.Yes I had problems around root cannals and crowns they neeeded be removed. I had many infections of gums going into bone but to say it e med I don't know.
like other poster I was on phenytoin and stop same reason. On lamical I don't think there connection

I was on Dilantin for close to a year and my wife who is a dental hygenist noticed issues with my gums and I was switch to carbamazepine for probably close to 10yrs and then to lamontrigine a couple of years ago.

Thanks for shifting this to right sub-forum.

Topirimate can cause loss in density - I am not sure if any others can.
I noticed I had been breaking a lot of bones, but it was after a really bad break that left me in a wheelchair that it was suggested I should have a scan.

Apparently my Nero said I should have had the scan when I had been on it a certain amount of time if I was having breaks, but they never gave it to me, so it kept getting worse.

So ask your GP for a scan, and your Nero will be able to tell you about side effects.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Anyone taking AEDs long term should have a density test periodically in my opinion. Dilantin and Tegretol get the majority of the blame, but I've seen studies saying it can happen with other drugs like Keppra, Topamax, etc.

It can depend on the individual, but I've had issues with this too. It is actually something neurologists should actively monitor and recommend for their patients, but many dont say anything or know little beyond the fact that long term Dilantin use can contribute.

I having fracture problems never occurred this could be the case,I will be visiting doc soon

Back
Top Bottom