Botox

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Fedup

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I am having a hard time at the moment in a lot of ways. I have been ringing my neuro and epilepsy nurse since last week, I eventually got the epilepsy nurse today (I do not like her, thinks she knows how an epileptic should feel and you know nothing). So today it was said, "I am a Liar", so I flipped. Anyway it came down to Botox and the reason is this - One thing that happens to me 24/7 is as someone else here said the right side of my face twichs, when my face stops or reduces in amount my left hand starts shaking. I was told a long time ago this was because of medication I was on. Today again it was suggested I get Botox injections in my face. I am not in favor of this and I have only heard of its use in Plastic Surgery. What I want to ask is does anybody or has anybody been given Botox or even suggested for something like this and what don you think.

Wow, hang in there, Fedup. That is so frustrating trying to get hold of the doctor and not getting through. Then to be told "you're a liar"!!! The medical & insurance system is so messed up. I don't know anything about Botox-so I can't give any advice on it but I'm sure somone here will. But it doesn't sound right. Maybe that nurse needs botox in her cheek(not facial either). Thinking positive thoughts for you!!!

Okay, I just Googled Botox & Epilepsy & apparently Botox is being used. This is news to me-I've got to go read about it! Just call me old school. It doesn't look like it's being used as an AED but more to stop the nerves- if it could stop the pain... but still this isn't the answer you were hoping for from your doc. Hang in there.

jackier

I googled as well. Yes it seems its the nerve in my face they are aiming at. But?

it's gotten mixed reviews as a treatment for migraine. Not sure I would go there, without a lot more information.

I agree with Nakamova. Something is causing the twitching whether it be your epilepsy or the meds you are taking or something else. I would want to be very sure that they are not just trying to mask the symptoms so they don't have to deal with the issue. Granted that may be all they can do for you but I would want to be very sure first. :twocents:

Sorry you are having such a problem getting your doctors to understand and help you deal with your problems. I am lucky to have found a very good doctor who talks with me and listens to me but I've also known some who are useless.

Best of luck and remember we are all here for you.

I think the lady you talked to has botox in her brain! I find the notion to be pretty radical, I would read up on it in full detail.

As for them calling you a liar. Well maybe they can deal with the same cards life gave you and then they can say that. Empathy is something many more people need to learn. You would think people who deal with another life would show more compassion. I'm sorry your dealing with this, you've had a lot of stuff on your plate to say the least. I hope you get your break soon.

Wow! I can't believe she said that! Here is what I would do.....next time you are there (and hopefully you can find a new doc) just tell the girls at the check out counter to bill you. Later, when the statement shows up, don't pay it. Just call the nurse and say "it appears that I had told the front office to bill my last visit and that I would pay later. I lied."

huskymom

I like that idea. Hopefully I can find new doctors, this is getting to be a pain in the neck.

Dolores I was told it was medication I was on that caused the damage.

Nakamova

Thanks I will take a look at that one. I am against the idea myself.

Back
Top Bottom