Brain damage/death?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
With complex partials is there more of a risk of brain damage or death at an early age?

It's tricky to draw broad conclusions since there are many individualized variables for each person with epilepsy (i.e. -- when onset occurs, is the epilepsy treated or untreated, how severe is it, are there co-occuring health issues, etc.). In addition there are variable causes of brain damage and/or early death.

Generally speaking, the mortality rate in people with epilepsy is 2-3 times that in the general population. Most deaths are due to the underlying cause (ie, epilepsy) with the remainder due to accidents, Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy, and suicides.

SUDEP has no apparent cause (though it may have a cardiac connection). It occurs in 1 in 2500 persons with mild epilepsy and 1 in 250 persons with severe epilepsy. SUDEP is most common among those with frequent or medically intractable seizures.

As for damage to the brain -- status epilepticus (prolonged seizing) can kill brain cells, but there isn't yet conclusive data on the effect of cumulative isolated seizures on the brain. Studies on animals suggest that recurring seizures may contribute to nerve cell injury in the brain, and this may be associated with declines in cognitive function and quality of life. The amount of damage may depend on the whether traumatic brain injury plays a role in the onset of epilepsy, as well as the age at which the epilepsy begins. And anti-seizure meds can also play a role in cognitive decline too. The risks for any kind of damage are largest if the seizures are prolonged, severe, and uncontrolled over time.

One study of complex partials in rats suggests that sustained complex partial seizure activity consistently results in damage to brain cells if allowed to continue for longer than 1 hour. The damage is primarily located in the hippocampus, the part of the brain involved in memory.

I have complex partials and my neurologist says I have brain damage from not being diagnosed years ago. Not only do I have short term memory problems, but I lost a pretty good chunk of my longer term memory too. I can't tell you the number times my grown daughter has looked at me puzzled because I've forgotten some event, often times a pretty major event. For example, I was relating to someone how two of my cars were no more, thought both of them had just died of some major mechanical issue. And my daughter (who'd been listening) was perplexed, eventually realizing that I'd forgotten that one of these cars was no more because it had been totaled in a collision.

Many times I compliment my husband on something he's wearing, asking him where he got it, only to have him point out that I bought it for him last Christmas or something...and I've no recollection of doing this whatsoever. Pretty scary.

I forget faces too. If I don't see your face frequently enough and in close enough succession when we first meet, I won't even recognize you if I fall over you in a grocery store. It's that bad.

Nakamova, thank you so much. That helped me understand a lot.

elizza, I have short memory problems as well. That could be why I guess. I'm sorry you're struggling.

Back
Top Bottom