Brain/Head Injury Related Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MaeDae

New
Reaction score
Anyone having seizures/aura's due to brain/head injury?
If so, How long after injury before you started having seizures/aura's?

Hi Maryltyme, I developed E from a brain injury in 1986. I also had several cases of spinal meningitis that gave me another coma and temps of over 108, fahrenheit. The docs gave me dilantin right away, just as a precautionary measure they said. I started having seizures and gradually got worse over the years. They started as very strong myoclonic and grew to T/C. I also fight chronic, clinical depression and I am so glad to find this site. Why do you ask about brain injury?

YES, that is my case. I posted this letter explaining my story but then it disappeared ??

Probably, but it's hard to tell because I had a T/C before the traumatic brain injury and coma. After the TBI, there were no seizures until 11 years later so it's hard to link them clearly. Also unlikely they're completely unrelated.

Yes, but as strange as it sounds I don't know when I got the brain injury. MRI shows injury. Dr think it may have been when I was a child & I have forgotten it.

I had an aneurysm almost 21 months ago and I had a crainialotomy(clipping for the bleed). I started having strange (aura's/anxiety/seizures unexplained stuff) things happen to me. I have researched seizures after an aneurysm and I know its possible based on what I have read, but I havent encountered anyone who is having seizures because of trauma to the head. So, I guess to ease my mind, to find a little peace, I thought I'd poll and see. Neuro dr thinks simple partial/complex partial, he hasnt decided which one yet and Pyschiatrist thinks "anxiety". Me? I don't know what to think and have grown tired of thinking! Thanks for your response. May I ask what type of brain injury and did the menigitis come after the injury?

My head trauma happened sometime between birth and 6 yrs old. My first medically documented grand mal happened when I was 35. I know now that I was having seizures when I was at least around 20.

I had my seizure January 4, 2011 and every doctor that looked at me thinks it's from a head trauma, including my Neurologist but he's not speculating on that cause I had a brain bleed along with it, again, doctors think it was from a previous head trauma but the last one I remember was more than 8 years ago.

I've had 7 total head traumas so that probably had something to do with it. I just made up a list of the one's I remember. Neurologist doesn't know yet but he will in December. They think the bleed was from a head injury and think the seizure was from it too but it's hard to say cause I'd been in the hospital 2 days prior for total kidney failure and dehydration that came on after having diarrhea for only two days. I don't have a colon so I get dehydrated faster

Hi, Yes, I had part of my brain or something wedged into a crack in the skull that prevented it healing over. The crack was right along the right ear canal. I never knew i had meningitis until i had grand mals and someone (lucky for me) would see it and call the hospital. I would go into prolonged seizures that would not stop. I always woke up in the hospital being told "you are lucky to be alive young man" The last time it happened, i was living in Spain as a student and the Spanish docs identified the problem, any 'bug' in my ear has a direct opening to my brain (meninges). And this was in the Public hospital (cheap one) Those docs are great! I came back to the states and had surgery to close off the skull opening back in about 1995. So now its just frontal lobe damage and seizures. The last T/C i fell over and hit my head. I got up after, having no idea what happened and drove myself to the doc's office with blood on my face. They called the ambulance (2011). I know my brain wiring/chemistry is messed up and put my attention on healing. Social security calls it 'early retirement' so with a small stipend from them i do not work for money, i make art and work on healing which includes attention to my spiritual life.
Oh, and to answer your question, After head trauma/meningitis i am diagnosed with E. yes

thank you all for responding. Your respone has eased my concerns as well as providing me with concrete proof that it is possible. The neuro surgeon said he didnt think I could be having seizures and referred me back to neuro dr who insisted I speak with neuro surgeon. I don't know if what Im about to do is smart, but I must follow my own heart.

I'm DONE. I'm not going to persue this any further. I will learn to live with the stuff that's happening and just pray for the best. No more dr's, no more med and no more sleepless nights I hope. Again, thank you

I wish nothing but the best for all!
I hope someday they find a permanent treatment for E.

Luv
Mary : )

Back
Top Bottom