Brain Slows At 40?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

:roflmao: Gail! Welcome, by the way!

Hey Rainman...how many toothpicks did I just spill?...tell me that and you've earned your title! :banana: :pfft:

None - it's a trick question ! :rock:

Go on, ask me another, ask me another !! (hahaha)

seizures4ever : I think you must already be trying this 'breathing' thing - otherwise you wouldn't be here talking to us all :roflmao:

I will "choose" to forget my age when I am fifty. Looooove it! It's genetics. My mother looks young. And she made me take care of my skin. lolBreathe, Breathe!

Thanks ... but it comes with a lot of insults (some are really funny)

:agree: Sharon, but that's what makes you fun!

"Breathe everyone breathe. Oxygen to the brain. I am 43."

Are you kidding me? I thought you were twenty-something! Is that just an exceptionally good picture of you or are you really wrinkle-free? :ponder:

Well heck, I guess I'm gonna have to try this "breathing" thing.
Peer pressure. :paperbag:

-Julie

Well, when I first obtained my Driver's License, and was
married - I lost count how many times I've been pulled
over by Cops - they had a difficult time believing how
OLD I was ... insomuch I had a duplicate copy of my
birth certificate (certified one of course) - so they would
know that the Driver's License wasn't a phony!

And to add for insult - a few months after we were
married (I was married on July 4, 1981), had a Grand
Mal in middle of night - apparently went status, but
hubby was freaked out, didn't even call Medics, instead
drove me to the ER (???) - where they had to put the
brakes on the Tonic-Clonics and then admitted me.

THE INSULT?

They admitted me into the CHILDREN'S WARD!

THE SECOND INSULT?

The Charge Nurse told my hubby just before the
Neurologist gave me the thumbs up after several
days in the Hospital, the clearance for me to be
discharged -- "Don't worry Sir, your DAUGHTER will
be just fine!"
My hubby got MAD, and told her
"THAT IS MY WIFE! AND WHY IS SHE IN THE KIDS
SECTION ALL THIS TIME ANYWAY?" Well, the Charge
Nurse was going to snap back at him until she saw
my chart, and she was apologetic!

(We still laugh about this one even though we're divorced,
it's still funny (not the seizures) but to the fact that
they had me in the Chldren's Ward - and I was surrounded
by Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Balloons, etc - and Nurses
dressed in garments for "pediatrics". I probably was the only
Adult in there!)

ANOTHER INSULT YEARS LATER:

When my ex-husband won an award, it was held at the
old former Playboy Club in downtown St. Petersburg, FL;
well - just try to tell them I'm an adult, his spouse, and of
legal age? We were ORDERED to leave! So once we began
to walk away, the CFO came by and saw my (ex) hubby
and wanted to know why we were leaving? He told them,
and did that CFO get on their case! Playboy didn't like this
one bit and were downright suspicious. and in fact, the
"Management" there went so far to say "SHE WILL NOT
DRINK" and before my (ex) hubby could say anything,
the CEO's secretary (Katie), blurted out very rudely to
them and I don't remember specifically what she said but
they backed off and had nothing to do with the engagement
going on.

OTHER INSULTS:

Remarks made to my (ex) husband throughout the
years:

• Your daughter should be a married woman and out on her own!
  • You're spoiling your daughter, kick her (profanity) out, and let her live on her own!
  • You've turned her into a spoiled brat!
  • She's a free-loader! Get your (profanity) daughter out on the streets so she'll learn what life is all about!
  • Pregnant? Serves the (profanity) right for living with a guy! Why did you let her back for? Kick the (profanity) daughter out of your house and let her learn the (profanity) lesson the hard way!
  • What the (profanity) are you doing? Some father you are!

I could go on and on with all the insults that my ex-husband
had to endure and oftentimes in front of me - even when he
had told them ... "This is my wife ..." (And as for the pregnancy,
geesh, people were obnoxiously rude beyond the Twilight Zone!
I had received more dirty looks, rude remarks, etc and likewise
my (ex) husband who received scoldings, chides, snappy remarks,
etc - and not once we've ever received any compliments of
"Congrats - when's the baby due?")

INSULTS THAT I HAVE RECEIVED:

• Please hold while we contact the Manager (who then checks my license, and I've had Cops who had been summoned, because I wrote a check - but contacts to the bank were frequent - and even when it was cleared, I never received any apologies at all!)
  • In Women's Department - being ushered out, and was told that I needed "my Parent or Parents" to be with me. They wouldn't even look at my License or anything.
  • Doctor's Offices - Office Personnel often remarked, "We do not handle Pediatric / Children here - only Adults" (They were often *shocked* to learn how old I was, and needed more proof!)
  • Went to a Bar (where they had a Pool Hall) and was not permitted to enter in (ex-hubby and I were going in to shoot several rounds of 9 ball and trick shots and maybe some normal game of pool) - they didn't believe my license and believed it was tampered with. Fortunately during daytime I had spoken with the Owner of one specific place so I could get a clearance to play there - FINALLY! (We were given his home number so if any employee denied me in, even after my license, we can phone him and the person would be fired because my name is on the bulletin board in the office and he posted it there. We never drank any alcohol there, just shot pool.)

I could go on and on of the years I've had to endure
because I look so much younger than I am; in fact my
little sister looks older than I am.

THE WORST INSULT EVER???

When I took my son out for his 18th Birthday, and
when I went to pay for his dinner at the register,
the people behind us; SCOLDED my son for having
"his girlfriend" paying for the dinner! (They were
very loud and rude and embarrassed us)

My son was excessively quick to snap back at them:
"MY MOM TOOK ME OUT FOR MY 18TH BIRTHDAY,
SO HOW ABOUT A HAPPY BIRTHDAY SON?"

Those people were speechless!

There have been many times people have mistaken
my son and I to be brothers/sisters - with me being
the "oldest sister" and him being a "little brother",
and it's worse when some folks believe that we're
"boyfriend and girlfriend" and not MOTHER AND SON!

:mad:

It does get very frustrating! And no, I do not show my
age very well at all - but my age in my hair, however
does show (I hate white on the sides but my blonde
hair often overshadows it), however, it isn't unusual for
folks in their young age to have early graying, white,
or even balding.

:?

brain.....yoohoo....brain???? Ptttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!! OOOPS!! Sorry, I had a brain fart - I forgot what a brain was - I forget everything. Over 40?? Hey, wait til you are over 50!!!! Say waht???what??? Did you say something??? what were we talking about??? where am i??? I?? who am I?? HHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP????!!!!????

oh, um, so sorry, I was having a moment. (giggle)

Cya.

Brain and Brain! What is Brain? (st:eek:ri)

Detailed in an article in press with the upcoming annual peer-reviewed publication Adolescent Psychiatry (Hillsdale, N.J.; The Analytic Press Inc.; 2005) the analysis suggests that many factors can disrupt myelination and contribute to or worsen disorders such as autism, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and schizophrenia.

"Myelination, a process uniquely elaborated in humans, arguably is the most important and most vulnerable process of brain development as we mature and age," said Bartzokis, who directs the UCLA Memory Disorders and Alzheimer's Disease Clinic and the Clinical Core of the UCLA Alzheimer's Disease Research Center.

"Environmental toxins, genetic predispositions and even diet appear to influence and sometimes disrupt this process," he added. "By shifting our research focus to medications that act on brain metabolism and development, as opposed to brain neurotransmitter chemistry, neuroscientists will likely find a wealth of novel opportunities for addressing the cause of brain disease rather than simply the symptoms."

Myelin is a sheet of lipid, or fat, with very high cholesterol content — the highest of any brain tissue. The high cholesterol content allows myelin to wrap tightly around axons, speeding messages through the brain by insulating these neural "wire" connections.

Bartzokis' analysis of magnetic resonance images and post-mortem tissue data suggests that the production of myelin is a key component of brain development through childhood and well into middle age, when development peaks and deterioration begins (Neurobiology of Aging, January 2004). He also identifies the midlife breakdown of myelin as a key to onset of Alzheimer's disease later in life (Archives of Neurology, March 2003; Neurobiology of Aging, August 2004).
http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/003141.html
http://www.mfoundation.org/sens

Dr Blaylock has quite a bit of information regarding the health of the brain.

Ptttttttttttttttttt!!

:roflmao::roflmao::paperbag::roflmao::roflmao:

:clap::e::clap:

Nite-t'all!!

"Live and let live"
http://www.myspace.com/ziggidypoo:e:

Last edited by a moderator:
Live and let live. I like that. I have been trying to live that way. Its easier once you get into the habit. And its a lot less stress. Sorry I changed the subject.Today I went to a women's health fair. We have to take care of our whole bodies for our brains to work. Don't forget. I gave them pamphlets to give out for epilepsy month. They gave them out.Teresa

There's an excellent book out on Amazon called 'Your Brain Health Lifestyle' that's relatively cheap, but it discusses a lot of topics mentioned here. I attended one of his lectures which had a lot of humor in it, but it was also very interesting.

eating right and exercising.That is what we need to do.When I do that the less stressed I am and I am a better mom and I forget less.

Though I am trying to stay in good shape with basketball and walking, my gray hair contrasting against my original black gives me away.

Several years ago, I gave my first gray hair to my oldest daughter. I told her she gave it to me, so I was giving it back. She taped it inside her jewelry box and still has it.

:roflmao:

oh, say can you see?

This is bizarre - after you find the guy - it's so obvious.
Once you find him - it's embarrassing, and you wonder
why you didn't see him immediately.

Doctors have concluded that if you find the man in the coffee beans in 3 seconds, the right half of your brain is better developed than most people.
If you find the man between 3 seconds and 1 minute, the right half of the brain is developed normally.
If you find the man between 1 minute and 3 minutes, then the right half of your brain is functioning slowly and you need to eat more protein
If you have not found the man after 3 minutes, the advice is to look for more of this type of exercise to make that part of the brain stronger!!!

And, yes, the man is really there!!!

Attachments

• beans.jpg
    beans.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hmmmmmm

I found the man in Shelley's pic in 2 seconds........LOLOL I'M NORMAL??? WHAT A HOOT!!!!!!

Although I am 44, I claim to be 21. I look at it this way. It's no one's business how old I am........especially the kids that I substitute teach for. As long as I'm LEGAL, who CARES?:bigmouth::bigsmile: O WELL.

From what I'm told, I don't look my age tho. I'm usually told I look about 28.... I find that HILARIOUS considering how old my kids are.

That's funny, my mom who is 68, me 43 and my son 10 and who knows everything.were all in the car discussing this yesterday. He , Alex called Grandma old brain lol. He's been really sick we had to take him to the doc again yesterday. My mom replied,"I beg your pardon, but I think my brain works pretty well thank you." This woman is young looking and exercises regularly, eats well and is a positive thinker. She helps Alex and I when we need it.All those things help keep the brain young.

Doctors have concluded that if you find the man in the coffee beans in 3 seconds, the right half of your brain is better developed than most people.
Right on!:woot::hello::tup::cheers::shake::dancing2:

Last edited:
:( it took me a good solid 4 or 5 seconds to find him

Back
Top Bottom