Brain Slows At 40?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

But -- I do have a good excuse ..... my brain is pushing 65 AND it's been opened twice.

Does that count?

I'm 43 and my brain has been opened twice, brain cancer, stroke, do I have an excuse? Nope! I have a 10 year old with epilepsy to raise by myself and you guys. lol!

Right on Terese!

I'm 43 and my brain has been opened twice, brain cancer, stroke, do I have an excuse? Nope! I have a 10 year old with epilepsy to raise by myself and you guys. lol!

HEY noticed she mentioned GUYS and not
"us" girls!

;)

Watch it girlie-girls. :pfft:

You can't pick on me about my age and being a guy at the same time. I am TOO guilty of both.

:noevil:

I revelled (?SP?)at age 50, then forgot

I will "choose" to forget my age when I am fifty. Looooove it! It's genetics. My mother looks young. And she made me take care of my skin. lolBreathe, Breathe!

At age 49-50, I sought out every person in my ENTIRE life that I had EVER offended in ANY way, even landlords that I left a mess in their house when moving, and asked their forgiveness. If I ever had something against someone I let it go. Found out things I held in for 20 yrs and dreaded seeing that person or talking to them for fear they hated me - they forgot - BUT - others remembered VERY well. ALL forgave.

At age 50, with memory probs coming very evident, I told my 3 adult kids that could no longer be held responsible for saying things I was supposed to keep quiet about or for anything I would say or do because I wouldn't remember anyway.

Now, I have problems remembering my own age!!!!

I know Carey is 11 yrs younger and try to remember his age and I know I am 20 yrs younger than some cousins-in-laws.

Sure, I remember 1956 is my birth year, but can't figure that out either!!!

:roflmao::roflmao:

Age? I didn't think it mattered!

No worries, I forget how old I am!

:embarrassed:

I've been asked many times, and it's
embarrassing! I have been blank-minded
many times where I have no clue how old
I am ... even my own mother "corrects" me
in regards how old I am (but she isn't the
only one ...)

*sigh*

Hi Cint

I am over 65. My brain does not work like it should. I breathe as well. I have Type 2 diabetes. With all of the list you mentioned. just last night I did not see a wall and walked right into it. No joke. I have had several episodes of not being able to see.

My neurologist told me, when I was first diagnosed with diabetes that the 2 do not get along in the brain. what affects one affects the other.

Does epilepsy have anything to do with blindness?

Hi Shelley

I finally read the article. Slow, aren't I. Well, I am 65, way over 40.

The article mentioned tapping your fingers. The faster you can tap, the better your brain is working. How many times do you have to tap? How can I count how many times I tap?

My friend in New Mexico has sight related to her seizures. She will have tunnel vision, I think no vision, her eyes used to get stuck open, waviness. I can ask her more if you would like. Teresa Oh and my Dad had type 2 diabetes and had troubles with his sight. Are you on shots for that or pills?

Tap Tap Tap - and it's not Morse Code either ...

Hi Shelley

I finally read the article. Slow, aren't I. Well, I am 65, way over 40.

The article mentioned tapping your fingers. The faster you can tap, the better your brain is working. How many times do you have to tap? How can I count how many times I tap?

I was told by a Psychologist that your middle finger
is the "fastest" finger --- I tried that, and I thought
SHE was nuts! *laughing* So I did researching on
that (long time ago before this post was made),
and it was true, the middle finger is faster. And
Psychologists who do perform this in neuropsychology
tests can determine various issues pertaining to the
cognitive functionality.

I have had finger tapping before via Neuropsychologist,
and the last time I had it done was to determine if I
was a true ambidextrous or if I was left handed or
right handed. And it turned out that I was "equal",
however he was very concerned, my speed was not
very good on either hand; but when it came to typing
skills, I was ultimately quick in WPM (words per minute)
without any errors.

He was troubled by this cognitive functionality and
hand-eye coordination. But he did notice one thing,
instead of the settings to the normal standard I had
to move everything to the opposite side, and this
indicated to him, I was right side hemisphere denominate,
and a "southpaw" (left hand).

In addition altogether, I have had quite a few finger
tapping, including all 10 of my fingers (YES, I have
10 fingers, 5 on each hand - don't get wild ideas
about me please - LOL!) and the results were HIDEOUS!
Equal on both hands.

But I must also imply I do have a problem with Carpal
Tunnel Syndrome as well, already had surgery performed
on my right hand twice; and do need one on my left,
but I'm a procrastinator ... when it really begins to
be a major PITA - then I will consider it - otherwise,
I'm fine!

Hi Stilldancing 98,

I have Diabetes 2 and I am on pills. I would like to know more. My eyesight is getting worse. I could not even see a whole wall in the living room. It started with floaters, which is not that uncommon. If you can get me more information, I will appreciate it.

dexterity

Has always been bad. The doctor I had when I was a kid always gave me those finger taping exercises where you tap your thumb back and forth on each finger on both hands at the same time. I was only able to go one way, but he kept announcing to my mom that I was fine and faking it. yet he kept me doped up on meds until I took myself off, and refused to go back for another appointment.
I have sporadically tried to work on this basic form of coordination, but it is a lot of work.

I would agree with the middle finger being the fastest---I'm amazed at how many people can flip it up there with speed:woot:

Seriously though, since my brain cross references everything (love those T-Cs) I don't believe that I'm actually losing my mind....I just can't find everything all the time.

Yet, with breathing, yoga, and three kids (hubby included) to watch over, I don't have time to check brain references. So, what is lost is lost (at least for now).

I figure if we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?!?!?!---LMT

Hi Shelly, When I was younger I could tap my fingers a little bit more than now, I never have been able to be speedy.

Hi LuvMyTwins, You are so right, we need to laugh. Laughter is good for everyone, epileptic or not.

I've still got 2 months and one day to make the most of my cells :rock:

The following day, you may get a long-awaited response to the first question by me posting....

....yes

I love my age. I feel beautiful and vibrant, inciteful, that there is a reason for all of this crap. And I am ready to listen and debate at any time. These are my learning years, my loving years, my giving and receiving years.Its time to celebrate life years.

I love my age. I feel beautiful and vibrant, inciteful, that there is a reason for all of this crap. And I am ready to listen and debate at any time. These are my learning years, my loving years, my giving and receiving years.Its time to celebrate life years.

:rock: You go!!!

Awesome Still Dancing.....I agree with you.....these years are such a wonderful time of spiritual growth. I've been constantly humbled by what life has offered me, have learned from it, and hope I am a good example to my family. Don't get me wrong, like everyone, I have my down times, but they're more of a learning experience as opposed to a pity party.---LMT

Back
Top Bottom