Branched Chain Amino Acids - Safe for E?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knew if taking Branched Chain Amino Acids as a supplement for cardio workouts was safe for people with E? Obviously, I wouldn't want to take anything that would interact poorly with meds or aggravate an aura or seizure.

If anything, the things I've read seem to indicate it might be a help as they are used for ALS and tardive dyskenisia regularly. But, I wanted to run it by the gang here and see if anyone had thoughts.

Again I would just be wanting to use it as a method to maintain muscle mass when doing alot of cardio workouts.

Thanks,

D
:rock:

As far as I know, it shouldn't interact with E.
However, be aware that some people are triggered into seizures by exercise, so the workouts themselves could be a trigger. Especially if you're not used to them.

I take take amino-acids and protein supplements in conjunction with my martial arts, to maintain muscle strength and to help counteract any of the metabolism reducing effects of the medicines I've been on. I've never had an issue with any of them inducing seizures or influencing them in any way.

That's just my experience with them though, and everyone interacts with them differently. :) Just try to be more aware of any seizure activity, and try to notice if there's a pattern of increased activity around the supplements or the workouts themselves. Keeping a journal of seizure activity is a good way to keep track of that. :)

Moderation, especially until you know how the BCAAs will affect you. Excess amounts can cause hypoglycemia, and mess with the absorption of some nutrients. It's pretty unlikely that you would take anywhere near enough to do have those kinds of effects, but it doesn't hurt to start "low and slow".

Back
Top Bottom