Broken ankle- 5 months

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Athena22

New
Reaction score
Its been five months since I first broke it, fracture I from a seizure.
Although what is really making me wonder is why is it taking so long???
I'm 20, with the amount of medication I'm taking the brain of an 18 year old.
Due to my eating disorder I had in the past year (((that I dont have now )))
Its possible my bones can be that of an elderly persons? Its healing, slowing.
Or is it that my I havent been taking in vitimins? I just reasently started taking in some calcium + multi.
I dont have the healthiest diet, I drink water, but soda as well.
The only thing I could think of is the amount of swelling my foot was in or the amount of casts I had before the boot.
I'm getting a bone simulator tomorrow.
Its just messed up. I shouldnt be getting this. bone simulators are extremely pricey. But my insurance covers it and its the last resort for some reason?

Eating disorders can do a lot of damage to your bones depending on how long you had it and how severe it was.

You also don't say anything about the amount of strain you might be putting on your foot. Are you making time to rest with it up?

Are you getting your vitamin D? All the calcium in the world is not going to help without some D to go with it.

From the national Osteoporosis Foundation about both sodas and drinks with caffeine:

http://nof.org/faq/588

The human body is fragile, even if you are taking in supplements. I gave myself plantar fasciitis from stomping on the floor very hard when my next door neighbors were being obnoxious late at night. Did you fall during the seizure? I managed to fracture and dislocate my right shoulder in the last generalized seizure I had. Regardless it took about 2 months for my shoulder to heal before I started physical therapy. Even now, my shoulder isn't perfect. Without PT, I would've lost a lot of mobility. If you're concerned about it, you should have some blood work done to make sure you aren't short on anything. 5 months recovery time doesn't seem unreasonable.

Have you talk to doc maybe able give you something...I would insist on bone density test.
In empathy with you it my right arm wrist fracture a few times this years drags you down

Seagull is right that a bone density scan might be a good idea just to know what you are dealing with for the future. Find out if your insurance will cover it (most do) and ask your doctor for a DEXA scan.

I learned about Calcium Citrate-D3 from this forum a long time ago. I have not had problems with my bones since then.

Please read this article and press EXPAND to get the whole article.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-76477/calcium-citrate-vitamin-d3-oral/details

Calcium Citrate-Vitamin D3

Calcium plays a very important role in the body. It is necessary for normal functioning of nerves, cells, muscle and bone. If there is not enough calcium in the blood, then the body will take calcium from the bones, thereby, weakening bones. Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium and phosphorus. Having the right amounts of Vitamin D, Calcium and Phosphorus is important for building and keeping strong bones.

I also suggest that you have your doctor do a Bone Density Scan, as well as a CT scan on your bones. There might be something else going on there.

What meds are you on?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom