Caffeine / sleep

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mr. Pibb

New
Reaction score
How many of you out their are not affected buy the effects of caffeine or lack of for some. I know that in some people it really triggers sz and insomnia sp. but for me as you can see its late and well before I head off to bed tonight I may have a soda before fall asleep so that I can fall asleep. and also I don't drink coffee so are there more than one kind of caffeine or is caffeine, caffeine

yes I know that it's not the best for me Stacy and I have talked over the web about it and I am drinking much less than before.

Jerry

I can sleep right through most caffeine drinks. I have made the decision to stop for a month to see if I feel better. I am drinking green tea. I figured if I was asking Rebecca not to drink soda and HFCS drinks, then I certainly should have to give up something I enjoy too. She drinks fresh lemonade now.... and water.

I just know for a fact that the type of sugar and the non sugar is a huge problem with many people.... along with all of the chemicals the drink is made from. Our bodies were not intended to function well on manufactured chemical drinks.

Hi Jerry, I suspect that it is affecting everyone - even those who claim it doesn't bother them. Sometimes when there isn't an immediate reaction, people tend to think there is *no* reaction, but as one doctor explained to me, the body is a system of equilibriums and you can consider the body as having a tolerance or buffer for some things. Every time you do something you shouldn't (like drink a brain stimulant), it disturbs the chemical balance. When your tolerance/buffer is used up, you hit overload (so to speak).

It is a similar problem to food allergies. The only real way to know if a food (or drink) is culpable, is to eliminate it completely for a month or so and see if there is any change/difference. Usually, effects will be more pronounced when reintroducing something that has been missing for an extended period of time. My :twocents:

I rarely drink caffinated beverages. But lately I have been drinking a lot coffee. I've not been having any seizures or anything but I freak out when I drink coffee. Just because I know there is a possiblity of something happening.

I've had EEG & vEEG runs with and
without caffeine and it made no
difference in me; but they did find that
I actually slept better when I drank
some caffeine.

Maybe my dad's to blame for this?
:ponder:
I've been drinking coffee since I was
very young and it drove my mom nuts!
I think I was 6 or 7 years old. But I do
NOT like sugar in my coffee, just a lot
of cream!

Or should I say I love a little coffee
with my milk?

:cheers:

LOL....I usually have a cup of coffee every day. Much better then the 9 cups I used to drink everyday. It doesn't really effect me too much. I can even go a day without coffee. But I know that if I have too much, it does make me a bit fidgety. Alert, but fidgety.

I can't drink caffeine in the afternoon or I won't get any sleep. In fact I had a seizure at work one time because I drank a coke at 10 PM and only got 4 hours of sleep because of it.

My 6shot iced americano is my daily coffee. I drink green tea too. I know it sounds bad. I did not feel it at all on topamax. Now I get headaches. The Doc said he knew that would happen. I am trying every other day. I sleep fine. I'm bad.

You are not "bad", it is just extremely difficult changing habits. I find when I can replace a habit with something that I enjoy more, then the "habit" is old news.
We all need to work on being better to ourselves.

Well I live in Seattle area. But my neuro-oncologist told me that when I get that major headache and nothing works atleast for me... to go ahead and drink that mocha or americano. I am telling you that is the only thing that works. And "walking to the coffee shop". lol

If I eat or drink anything with caffeine even as early as lunchtime, I might as well stay up all night because I won't be sleeping. Caffeine keeps me awake at night obviously, even chocolate and I LOVE chocolate! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom