Calcium-magnesium supplement

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

occb

New
Reaction score
I just bought the Salus Calcium and Magnesium liquid vitamin supplement (which also contains vitamin D and zinc in a delicious tropical fruit juice -- so says the package), and I was wondering if anyone has tried this before, and what they thought of it? Did it help or not? Did it give you the runs?

I picked it in particular, because there's no iffy herb supplements, or preservatives, and my partner's sick of taking pills. First sip is tomorrow morning, so I'll let you know if he thinks the tropical fruit juice really is delicious.

Sounds interesting! I'm sick of pills too, but I've never tried the liquid stuff.‹

Never heard of it.
I was told by one doctor that I respect immensely- Cal and Mag need to be taken separately. I know in many supplements they are combined. Don't know who to believe on this one. I was also told that we need more mag, than cal.

Tough call.

Salus/Floradix also has a magnesium only supplement which I think I'll pick up as well the next time I get paid -- be forewarned, it's not cheap.

EDIT: that's interesting Robin, I haven't heard that about cal/mag needing to be taken separately. I'll let you know if it helps my partner. I think he got a severe depletion of calcium while on gabapentin in the summer -- he's never been quite the same since.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that zinc interferes with the absorption of Vitamin D though I can't find where I read it so I might be imagining things.

Yeah, My calcium-magnesium pills are together and they contain 20mg of Zinc as well. I'm not sure why they would put them together if it wasnt meant to be that way. I know calcium helps the absorption of magnesium (or the other way around??). I have not tried the liquid and don't think I will. Its easier for me to remember to take it during the day with my meds. and it won't be easily transportable should I end up spending the night somewhere else.

I know if it gives you the runs, it means you took too much for your body.

So, the tropical fruit juice is NOT delicious. He says it almost tastes like ear medicine :lol:

He also didn't have a near-instant nausea relief, like he does when he ingests Almond Breeze, peanut butter or dark chocolate. I have no idea what causes that relief, but I thought it might be magnesium since they all have fairly high amounts of it. Why they could act so fast, I don't know either.

I never considered the portability issue Rae -- really good point.

Zinc and vitamin D are supposed to help the absorption of magnesium and calcium, and I think magnesium helps the absorption of calcium?

The other

thing to consider is that calcium CAN block some of the meds we take. You need to talk to the pharmacist......

I didn't even think of that Meetz. Does anyone know off-hand if lamotrigine and calcium are okay together? I'll have to check with the pharmacist regarding Effexor. And Xanax. And Codeine. Golldangit! My brain hurtz.

Hello Chad -- welcome to the forum. Awww... you guys have the same last numbers!

Now if I can only get my man to come on here more.

i don'd go on much. sometimes i just look. and rae made my name. i didnt care what she put.

I did the same for my partner, and he kind of felt the same about the username thing too. Still, it's nice that you're here.

Something else, if you're on tegretol (& certain other meds but I'm not sure which) to check if the tropical fruit juice has grapefruit in it. Grapefruit lessens the absorption of tegretol (carbamazapine)

Last edited:
that I checked -- no grapefruit. That's a big no-no for Effexor, so I look at ingredients compulsively for that reason.

So, partner tells me he's had stomach pains since taking the calcium/magnesium this morning. That just doesn't sound good. Tummy problems is usually the first sign that something isn't right for him.

Has anyone else had tummy problems after taking calcium/magnesium?

What type of magnesium is it? Should say on the label.
Some are not easily absorbed and are used as a laxative. Might be why his stomach is causing him problems.

It says elemental magnesium and elemental calcium. Does that say anything to you?

EDIT: okay, I thought after posting this that of course they're elemental, since they're elements! So I looked the ingredients up online, they are:

Elemental magnesium (gluconate and citrate) ... 186 mg
Elemental calcium (gluconate and lactate) ... 155 mg
Elemental zinc (citrate) ... 3.5 mg
Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) ... 204 I.U.

Last edited:
I have

problems when I take calcium. But I have no problems when I take any of the other 3.....

I was also wondering if it is the calcium that caused the stomach problem -- my partner had the twitchies bad last night too. He says it was the worst he's had in a while (I was already asleep so I missed them). No more calcium supplements for him, I guess. Boo.

Back
Top Bottom