can anybody answer this question please!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jessica44

New
Reaction score
hi everybody, its me jessica again. can anybody please tell me if anyone of u was told by the neurologist not to eat bananas? cause somebody told me not to, but i don't really believe it. thank u.

Ummmmm

did he give a specific reason why not? As in would it interact with your meds???

Bananas are full of potassium, and if, for some reason, he's saying that the potassium will block your meds then NOOO you should NOT eat the bananas....

Ask your pharmacist about an interaction with your meds....they would definitely know the answer to that one....:ponder:

i'm taking tegretol. do u have any idea if potasium interacts with tegretol or does anyone take tegretol and the neurologist told u not to eat bananas???

Jessica,

I do know if you have a latex allergy you are not supposed to eat them. They actually flag it on your door in the hospital. They are in the same family as rubber pants.
Otherwise..not sure what other problems it could pose.
Michelle

Now I

didn't know that...........that's interesting......makes sense though.:paperbag:

no he didn't, he just said stay away from banannas. Next time i'm gonna ask him

hey, does anyone knows if there is an online chat room for people with epilepsy where u can talk directly???

Hi Jessica .... I took Tegretol for ages and was never told to avoid bananas (thank goodness :)) My pharmacist is the one who really watches what I'm taking with what else, what I might be eating and things like that.
Did your neuro tell you that or someone else?

If you are on a nutritional plan where you are trying to keep your blood sugar steady, bananas are high in sugar. They are also not recommended if you are trying to combat any fungal /yeast issues in the body.

Plantains or Bananas? Both are bananas - but which?

hi everybody, its me jessica again. can anybody please tell me if anyone of u was told by the neurologist not to eat bananas? cause somebody told me not to, but i don't really believe it. thank u.

Are you in reference to Plantains? Or Bananas themselves?
Plantains contains toxins and can be toxic - and must be
handled in a specific manner / way and always have to be
cooked. People can be allergic to Plantains.

Bananas can be eaten raw or cooked - however, the best
thing to do is consult with your Neurologist for more specific
details as why he does not want you eating Bananas;
considering they are very high in potassium. Have you had
your blood (lab) work done? It may be that your level is
too high, or it may be that you're allergic to it.

We are not Medical Doctors here - but your best opinion
above all is talk it over with your Doctor; and get more
defined answers!

I just responded to the post because Plantains are a family
of the Bananas - and people ARE allergic to them, and wanted
to put some emphasis on that.

* You don’t need to eat bananas for the potassium! (Although it is present in bananas, potassium is the predominant nutrient among most all fruits and vegetables.)
* Bananas are high in sugar, so they should not be eaten if you have blood sugar problems.
* Don’t eat bananas on an empty stomach; combining them with a bit of protein will help to normalize the insulin response caused by the sugar in the banana.
* Green-tipped bananas are better for your health than over-ripe bananas.
* On a side note: Because bananas are so popular, rainforests are often destroyed to make way for banana plantations.

mercola.com

Back
Top Bottom