Can I die from Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

niceguyVZ

New
Reaction score
From what i read online, they say yes.
But that is not common. Well how do you know if youre the kind of person that would die? Cause im weak with weak organs so i can see how i'm at risk.

you don't know. sadly to say it can happen to anyone that suffers from E.
In the past like 20 years it was considered rare to die from E.
Don't let yourself get caught in the frame of mind that makes you worry that your gonna die, it just makes more stress for you...

yes you can die from E I knew a girl that had a seizure that killed her or so they think she had a seizure, she was aloneand they said it was the reason she fell down the steps was a seizure.
I knew this woman back in the 1990's.Everyone at risk of having a seizure and going status. I've never worried about that myself the stress would would not do me any good at all if I did.

Live everyday to the fullest! I think that to worry about the E is not gonna help and honestly no one is guaranteed tomorrow. I am not saying to hrow caution to the wind but don't let it rule your life.

You're more likely to walk out the door and die from anything else.

You're more likely to walk out the door and die from anything else.

Maybe, that is if you have well controlled epilepsy. SUDEP can happen in those who have refractory E and who are in a younger age bracket. True, it doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

I met a mother at a local Starbucks who lost her 17 year old daughter to SUDEP. It was a horrible, horrible wake-up call for those parents. Other than having E, their daughter was healthy. They are now on a mission to educate the public about SUDEP. And we have lost several on CWE to SUDEP.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just enlighten and bring some truth to the matter. Everything about E needs to be talked about, even SUDEP, IMO.

Here is a good website about the subject:
http://www.epilepsy.com/sudep

Niceguy, the percentage of deaths in epilepsy patients is around 1 to 9 percent higher than than the deaths of others, and mainly in people whose seizures aren't controlled. As I remember, your seizures aren't generalised, so I should imagine your odds are better than those who do have generalised seizures.

I'd say what is more concerning is that you tend to expect the worst case scenario--you were scared you were going to die a short while ago when you had stomach pain, too. More recently, you had caught on to the fact that some people make jokes about epilepsy, and you became scared that everyone was laughing at you. You also found the absolute worst side effects of AEDs and started worrying that you'd get them. In another post you were scared that you'd live alone forever. It seems to be a trend that's coming out in all of your posts here. This level of paranoia is something you need to take to your doctor. It's not healthy and it's not doing you any favours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom