Can Keppra cause seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Seems like I'm getting more seizures since my keppra dosage was increased last week. However, I do appear to be in the early throws of illness - sore throat, stomach ache, diarheea, too.

Its also possible that I forgot to take my pills a couple nights ago - 20 minutes after I should have taken them I was sitting at the computer with the pill bottle in my hand and couldn't remember if I had or hadn't. i decided I must have because it seemed unlikely that I'd just hold the pill bottle for 20 minutes without taking them and I have a tendency to need to play with something. I ended up with a lot of myoclonic jerks that night

But what reallly concerns me about these seizures is that parts of my leg are twitching that i've never noticed twitching before. I also seem to be regressing - getting out of breath easier, needing more sleep, feeling dizzy and disoriented. Not constantly but this is something I haven't experienced for a while.

I'm going to give it a few days before i call the neurologist in case these are just sickness symptoms and I really did forget my medicine but I'll be wondering until then.

*And yes I did get one of those multi-daily pill containers. i just haven't gotten around to actually using it.

YES. It caused me to have photogenic seizures for 6 weeks last year until my body got used to it. (I had never taken it before then) After the 6 weeks the photogenic seizures stopped and never came back.

I believe any drug can possibly increase seizure activity.
I know some did with my daughter. She is med free, and is having less seizures than she ever did when on medication.
There has got to be a relationship.

hmmm, drugs.com's page on keppra lists overdose symptoms that sound alot like what i started going through when I my dosage was increased, except as far as I know I'm not fainting

Actually reading further that page is scaring me a bit "call your doctor if you have difficulty breathing, flu symptoms, lack of coordination, increase in seizures, stomach pain, itching, clay-colored stools, nausea."

Maybe I shouldn't wait. I almost described my problems as getting the flu - which is sort of possible being as I ate at a buffet on the way home from the doctors." Aside from trouble breathing when doing a little bit of phsyical exertion, nothing is happening on a regular basis

I think if I call at this point, I'll probably just be told "lets wait a little while longer since the symptoms aren't that bad." I just hope I don't have to go all the way out there and sit in her office for 3 hours to be told that

DarkMarkShark:
Hi. Yeah, I wouldn't wait. Call &/or go to your neurologist because if I were you I'd rather you get sick in her office rather than being alone. Take care! ~AnnT.

It can be due toalergies too!

I've been onphenobarbital itcaused ADHD, and seizures Tegretol, TegretolXr caused seizures ,Keppra,and Depakote caused seizures imbalance blurred vision, Gabitril caused me to have a feeling of beeing paralyzed many,Zonegran just made me drowsy all the time! Now I am taking Topomax and Carbatrol which is most helpful right now!
David:twocents::brain:

I'm supposed to give it a few more weeks before getting concerned unless anything else happens.

I think I need to start paying more attention to potential longterm consquences of my medicines so I can object/bring up concerns as soon as the doctor wants to try something new

Back
Top Bottom