Can Keppra be taken once a day?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My husband is currently on Keppra - 1000 mg in the a.m. and 1500 in the p.m. He wants to stop his morning dose because he says he can't function during the day. As a matter of fact he just told me that he did not take his morning dose today, and he doubled-up last night. His T-C seizures are infrequent, and only occur when he is asleep. Is there a reason why Keppra is given in two increments like that? Our neuro is on vacation this week. Thank you!

My husband is currently on Keppra - 1000 mg in the a.m. and 1500 in the p.m. He wants to stop his morning dose because he says he can't function during the day. As a matter of fact he just told me that he did not take his morning dose today, and he doubled-up last night. His T-C seizures are infrequent, and only occur when he is asleep. Is there a reason why Keppra is given in two increments like that? Our neuro is on vacation this week. Thank you!

Two increments of Keppra is the standard dosage. For your husband to stop taking the morning dosage and doubling the night time dosage could be more problematic. That could actually cause more seizures. I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra, 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night.

Keppra XR is extended release. Ask the neurologist about that option -- it may enable your husband to take a single nighttime dose as he prefers. With the regular Keppra it can be tricky, because Keppra has a fairly fast half-life -- it cycles quickly in and out of the body -- so it might leave him with too little medication in his system at some point during the day if he doubles up at night.

.. it cycles quickly in and out of the body ..
"Plasma half-life of extended-release levetiracetam is approximately 7 hours." That's from the drugs.com page for Keppra XR.

Back when I was on Keppra, I took it every eight hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would asks about xr not on it myself take 3times a day hate it but there is no way could go without morning dose and always go by dr. oders there dumb I think so.but rules are rulrs

Yea the XR has been better for me. It seems to maintain a constant level throughout the day. I just take 2 in the evening.

I take Keppra XR. But I take it twice a day. Morning and Night. 1500mgs twice a day. I was taking Keppra before, and having aweful headaches. Now I no longer have the headaches and Ive noticed a big improvement! :)

I take non RX keppra once a day at bedtime- 1000 mgs with no problem. I have nocturnal seizures only though. Probably if you require the same level in your body all day keppra RX is the way to go

Back
Top Bottom