Can my work fire me because of the seizure side effects?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Can my work fire me because of my decline in memory and frequent uncontrollable seizures?

I am medicated and I think part of the reason is medication but I keep making errors at my job. It's not major for the most part, I am still fairly new at the position as well (4 months) but I can see they expect me to make less mistakes and are wanting to get rid of me.

My problem is my short term memory and my seizures. I've been having a lot more lately and they are taking their toll on my memory. I've worked 7 years to get to the position I'm at now and am terrified it will all be stripped away.

It's silly things I can't remember. Names, faces, I have trouble forming words at times, sometimes everything is perfectly fine, other days I can't remember what I ate for breakfast that day, or who I spoke to. I am doing my best to get good at note taking and improving my memory but I feel stupid half the time because I forget things that JUST happened and can't recall it to save my life.

My boss often calls other employees she wants to fire stupid, I know she views me the same. The way she rolls her eyes and gets angry when I forget something small.

But none of my mistakes are big, none of them hurt the company and none of them really make things difficult for anyone but me. Everything is fixable. I can tell she doesnt understand the seizures (because they arent always generalized) and holds even those against me and considers me an "idiot like the rest"

It's only recently gotten bad, maybe it's the medication or maybe it's because the seizures have gotten worse lately but IDK what I'm going to do if I lost this job.

I've been at my job since 2010. it's the position I'm new at, I was promoted at the beginning of the year btw

This link is a good resource for info about epilepsy and the workplace: https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/epilepsy.cfm
It's worth reading the whole thing, but I think the section on "ACCOMMODATING EMPLOYEES WITH EPILEPSY" may be most relevant:

The ADA requires employers to provide adjustments or modifications -- called reasonable accommodations -- to enable applicants and employees with disabilities to enjoy equal employment opportunities unless doing so would be an undue hardship (that is, a significant difficulty or expense). Accommodations vary depending on the needs of the individual with a disability. Not all employees with epilepsy will need an accommodation or require the same accommodations, and most of the accommodations a person with epilepsy might need will involve little or no cost. An employer must provide a reasonable accommodation that is needed because of the epilepsy itself, the effects of medication, or both. For example, an employer may have to accommodate an employee who is unable to work while undergoing diagnostic tests to determine the reason for her seizures or because of the side effects of medication. An employer, however, has no obligation to monitor an employee's medical treatment or to make sure she is getting enough rest or taking medication as prescribed.

The section goes on to list different kinds of accommodations (such as checklists or medication breaks).

Ideally your situation should be resolved without hostility -- perhaps your neuro can provide documentation about your seizures, how they manifest, and any relevant side effects of the seizures and/or meds. Your doc or a neuropsych may also be able to suggest specific accommodations that will help at work.

Another potentially relevant section is the one called "HARASSMENT":
The ADA prohibits harassment, or offensive conduct, based on disability just as other federal laws prohibit harassment based on race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, and genetic information. Offensive conduct may include, but is not limited to, offensive jokes, slurs, epithets or name calling, physical assaults or threats, intimidation, ridicule or mockery, insults or put-downs, offensive objects or pictures, and interference with work performance. Although the law does not prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).

If you believe you are being harassed or targeted due to your epilepsy, make sure to keep records of what's going on -- when it started, what form it takes, etc.

I've lost many jobs even after getting back up from my doctor because many employers just want you to do your job and not deal with issues we present-poor memory, tiredness, seizures at work, etc. It is unfortunate and feels so degrading to us with epilepsy. My memory is what caused the firing and I did have a generalized seizure right up in the front office and this agency worked with people with disabilities. You are probably picking up on things from your supervisor and it is difficult to deal with. I finally got on disability after 3 years and though it is difficult to only work a few hours a week it has been such a relief to have this support. Stay in touch and good luck!! Jeanne

I've lost many jobs even after getting back up from my doctor because many employers just want you to do your job and not deal with issues we present-poor memory, tiredness, seizures at work, etc. It is unfortunate and feels so degrading to us with epilepsy. My memory is what caused the firing and I did have a generalized seizure right up in the front office and this agency worked with people with disabilities. You are probably picking up on things from your supervisor and it is difficult to deal with. I finally got on disability after 3 years and though it is difficult to only work a few hours a week it has been such a relief to have this support. Stay in touch and good luck!! Jeanne

It is my direct supervisor. So I went to our boss, the one over her, and explained to him that I am on a new medication and my episodes are affecting my memory but that I am working on it. He's had patience but she grunts and moans and gets rude over every little thing which makes me have anxiety and fear to make a mistake which only of course makes things worse. I'm also one the computer all day which makes the seizures worse. They are controlled enough but I still have 2-4 complex partial seizures a week and after I have one I'm just completely useless for 24 hours or so. I mean I can do my work but I ask a lot of questions and have to be reminded (which is why I take so many notes now) numerous times. I am doing my best to leave sticky notes everywhere and take all the notes I can and refer back to those so I dont have to ask over and over and have brought in a big dry erase calendar to help keep me on schedule. Im doing my best to beat this. Ive been working so hard for 7 years for this position and to finally get it and everything goes down hill really stinks. I know it will get better, I just dont want to lose my job while I wait.

Hi girlwithdog,

By law your employer can't fire you do to your seizures. I have the same kind you have along with absence seizures and I've been working in a public school with students for over 31 yrs. now. All you need is a letter in writing from your neuro stating that you are able to do this job that will protect you and your employer can't do anything.
In the past 4 co workers complained that I had seizures even though I was very open about it with them as well as the students. In the long run those 4 co workers were either fired or transferred to a different school to work because they were putting me down about my epilepsy. Don't let people put you down or control you because of your epilepsy. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Managers and HR people Have Their Own Language!

I know a former HR person at a big corporation who is a good friend of mine! He told me about how HR and Management have a language that they use that can't be used to prove they are getting rid of someone because of a problem they may have. It is amazing how much they can blow some small incident into something that appears to be a game changer when they want to dismiss somebody!
If the reason for a person's dismissal isn't written out in the dismissal papers in a way that shows violations by the company. It is nearly impossible to prove otherwise unless a person has some other kind of evidence to use to show that violations have commonly taken place at this employer.
The best thing I know of the try and counter act what the employer may do is have a micro-recorder ready to be used at any time someone representing the employer is talking to you! :ponder:

acshuman

And contact the Department Of Labor.
The should have a office if you live in a fairly large city.
Look online.
Call and find out your rights.
If you do get to the point where you will lose your job well that's reason to collect disability.

I know a former HR person at a big corporation who is a good friend of mine! He told me about how HR and Management have a language that they use that can't be used to prove they are getting rid of someone because of a problem they may have. It is amazing how much they can blow some small incident into something that appears to be a game changer when they want to dismiss somebody!
If the reason for a person's dismissal isn't written out in the dismissal papers in a way that shows violations by the company. It is nearly impossible to prove otherwise unless a person has some other kind of evidence to use to show that violations have commonly taken place at this employer.
The best thing I know of the try and counter act what the employer may do is have a micro-recorder ready to be used at any time someone representing the employer is talking to you! :ponder:

acshuman
They got that in uk.if doc writes this pleasent lady or man then forget it if want be taken seriously.thats all you are is pleasent and vacuas.not sure if Brits know that.
it very wrong lose job because of e.in uk they suppose employ certain amount of disabled and I was told like take e people because don't need change environment and e employees less likely take time off.It bit of cop out to disabled

I know that legally in the US employers can't fire you. I also know that the UK is reforming disability policy right now, which I've been following on twitter. I'm not sure how that affects their disability policies, but I'm assuming it does. That doesn't mean that jobs can't discriminate or come up with other reasons to fire you. I've been in similar situations, which are really tricky.

Good luck and I am really sorry that you're dealing with this! It's never fun. :(

Hi I've been thinking of you and your situation. I have been fired after revealing my seizure disorder and having problems at work and even getting a doctors note and ADA. What it came down to for me was I was told I could not do the job even with accommodations and could potentially put others at risk due to memory problems etc. I do think there is a falsehood of not being able to be fired. I am in Illinois where it is "at will employed" and they can fire you for almost no reason at all. I was so upset at the time but years later understood their thinking. I've had to go from being a human service worker years ago to doing food service work, the easiest of kind a few days a week if that and I'm on disability as of a few months ago. Hope your situation is improving. I've been through the supervisors making noises rolling their eyes and making comments in front of others about me. It is difficult and hard on the self esteem!! Good luck, Jeanne

No you can't be fired but if you are fired take action against them by suing the company for discrimination under the people with disabilities act. An attorney could tell you more but it's not a bad idea to get an attorney. Just a talk with one costs nothing.

I agree 100% (about them having "their own language") with achuman. I lost 3 of the 4 jobs I got after completing my BS, & I believe that my Complex Partials or medication side effects were the real reason I was let go.

While I see what you're all saying, I'm going to play the devil's advocate and try to see this from employers' points of views. Sometimes epilepsy can be a problem on several levels. Rather than thinking just that I'd be a liability to the business, I've also thought about how I'd affect customer experiences too. Disability discrimination is a thing, but I also try to see their points of views too.

Around the time I got epilepsy I worked as a cashier. Actually, at one place I worked sometimes I had to manage the whole shop by myself. Soon after quitting the job I heard about a robbery that occurred. Fortunately, the thief was stopped as the police were alerted. I imagined, "What if it was me and I had a seizure during the robbery?" Most of the shop's valuables could have been stolen, and the cash as well since I'd have collapsed and been unable to press the alarm button. It's an unlikely scenario but the thought crossed my mind nonetheless.

Also, before getting E I was interested in becoming an English teacher abroad. Everything's taken a turn for the worse and of course, that didn't happen. I also thought about teaching English online, but honestly it would be quite inconsiderate of me. If I had a seizure during an online session I'd have not only messed up the customer's schedule, but also caused the company a load of hassle too. Yeah, I know the "cause" wouldn't be my fault, but I've got to think of this from other perspectives too.

While I know this isn't something for everybody and while I'm mainly supported by benefits lately, I've been learning how to freelance and I hope that will be an actual job in the near future. (Particularly if my surgery goes well this year.) Freelancing is a great thing for those with epilepsy if doable. Also, don't get me wrong here. If a company can accommodate your needs, working in many environments should be fully accepted and companies should be considerate about it. Especially with office work. But I'm mostly thinking about customer service and care positions since that's the kind of work I've done.

Last edited:
Long story short I've gone from having approximately five seizures in the years frame having over 150 since I started this position in January my health is now becoming a problem because of the stress I'm getting no sleep and as of yesterday my title has been stripped for me I have not done anything wrong whatsoever and that's been egg knowledge she just says that she doesn't need me anymore and I have not been given a new position my health is a literally on the line as my seizures have increased so dramatically and medication is not working like it once was so I don't really know where to go from here but clearly I can't continue this way if I can continue it all at that place my husband wants me to quit and attempt to get disability but I've been working on building a career I don't want to give up the last seven years of work and just drop it because of the stress and I can't handle it

:hugs:

Can you take a break to get your health under control? if not this job, then maybe there's another one out there when you can get the seizures down.

Back
Top Bottom