can paranoia be caused by keppra or other meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

eileen

New
Reaction score
Just wondering if my extreme fear of life was due to meds or if it is just another problem. the reason I think it may be the meds is because they are irrational fears. I dont even go outside to get the mail for fear of dogs. I am jumpy about everything. I have been dealing with debilitating fears forever, but it seemed to have gotten a lot worse when I had my last brain surgery. After that i went on meds. So i dont know if it is the surgery or epilepsy meds. I would love to be able to take a walk or drive without the fear of impending doom! If there is a med change that can help it would change my life as I am almost homebound. Any thoughts on the subject will be much appreciated! Thank you again

My symptoms were similar but not as severe

I was extremely spaced out, angry & angry on Keppra. Then I became very paranoid that I would say or do something wrong or inappropriate. It was a very uncomfortable feeling but I wasn't scared to go out or do the things I had to do.

I do regret not reporting those side-effects to the neurologist sooner though. Maybe that's what you should do if your fears are much stronger than before your meds were prescribed.

Good luck & keep us updated as to what you do & how you are.

the way you explained it was about how i was in the first year of keppra. Maybe it just snowballed because i have been on it so long. Keppra is great for my seizures, but if it causes my fears its not worth it. I will definetly ask about other meds, thank you

Keppra is

known for its side effects.....and I'm sorry that you're going through them.

There are some who use a B6 supplement to help with the side effects of Keppra with good results.....

BTW, welcome to CWE. I think you'll find we're a friendly bunch here. Stick around and stay awhile. Put your feet up, ask questions, and have some coffee. Buckeye makes some really good coffee. LOL.

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

Before Keppra, my seizures sometimes made me "sense a presence" in the room when my logical mind knew nobody was there. Since being on Keppra, I no longer "sense a presence" as part of my seizure experience, but I still think I'm a little paranoid . . . dunno if its Keppra or seizure activity. Taking B complex (all the B's, like B6, B12, etc.) helped the Keppra-induced depression and anxiety a bit. But I still think I'm a little paranoid.

When I firs started on Keppra I was having panic attacks.After the first month I switched over to the Keppra Extended relief plus I am taking 50 mg of Zoloft. I also take 100 mg of Vitamin B complex along with Cal And magnesium. I dont seem to have the panic attacks like I did when I first started on the Keppra for the first month.Now I have a problem with itching and I am not sure what is causing it. I had blood tests and nothing came up, so I guess I'll have to go see my neuro soon. All the other Drs including Dermatologists always end up sending me back to my Nero for all my problems. They are all afraid of me cause I have simple partial nocturnal seizures. Even the family internist always sends me back to the Neuro.
I told my neuro a month ago about the itching and he just kinda rolled his eyes. I just have small rashes that kinda come and go, it's weird and my scalp itches but my scalp seems to feel better since I started using the Paul Mitchell Special Tea Tree Oil Shampoo/.:e:

Back
Top Bottom