Can photosensitivity CAUSE epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This discussion was, from the start, about the possibility of otherwise "normal" people developing epilepsy via repeated stimulous/photosensitivity. This discussion is not meant to be comprehensive for every case of epilepsy.

That said, there are many cases (case studies) where EEG neurofeedback (and OchsLabs LENS system) have helped people with TBI overcome the physical damage to their brain. The brain develops/grows new neuronal pathways as part of the re-learning/training.

This discussion was, from the start, about the possibility of otherwise "normal" people developing epilepsy via repeated stimulous/photosensitivity. This discussion is not meant to be comprehensive for every case of epilepsy.

That said, there are many cases (case studies) where EEG neurofeedback (and OchsLabs LENS system) have helped people with TBI overcome the physical damage to their brain. The brain develops/grows new neuronal pathways as part of the re-learning/training.

Exactly, Bernard. And this so well illustrates kindling don't you think? The photosensitivity is conditioned by the continued exposure to strobelights or whatever. The brain is physically altered in the process. The neurofeedback and LENS can work to alter the brain, condition it as in kindling, but in a way that repairs or overcomes the damage. For example, in my training, I learned a breathing routine. The intent was to change my normal response when a seizure started [increased heart rate and respiration leading to full blown seizure]. I had to learn to go into my breathing routine at the point I became aware of my seizure symptoms, whether or not I had an aura. Over several years' time my normal response to a seizure starting was to slow my breathing and heart rate which could abort the seizure before it spread. Eventually my brain activity was altered such that I stopped having the "seizure response"

With photosenstivity, a person would learn, via feedback, another physical response that, over time, would leave them less reactive to light stimulation.

Very interesting Zoe. In the book Epilepsy: a new approach, they talk a lot about breathing, opposites, visualization at the point of awareness.

I need to know, how does one use this technique if they don't remember anything prior to the "event". Do you think they really know prior... but after, nothing? Does that even make sense. Like, you do.. but you don't. Oh my... where is this taking me. A time machine I think.... or very confused

Back
Top Bottom