Can this be related to seizures or?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Can estrogen and progesterone levels cause seizures or seizure like issues ?

I was told that I had psychogenic seizures too. There are days that I sometimes wonder and question myself too, but four years of being told the same thing will do that.
I believe that the current treatment for psychogenic seizures are psychotherapy and anti-depressants.
Did you have an "episode" during your video EEG?

Yes I had four. Two while sleeping and two while awake. The ones while i was sleeping felt like a shock in my brain then my body jerks and i wake up with an uncontrolable scream. the ones while awake were rapid eye blinking and being unaware of whats going on. I have talked to a psycholigist and take lexapro neither have helped.

I know that EEG's can miss seizures happening deep within your brain. I'm familiar with the shock to the brain feeling but mine are usually quite quiet except for some snorting. The scream has to be very unsettling for you!
I think that I have read a statistic somewhere that 30% of people who experience psychogenic seizures also experience physiological seizures as well.
However, when you are diagnosed with psychogenic it is a very tough diagnosis to shake and drs do not take you seriously.
Either way they are hell to deal with.
Either way you have a disorder.
Either way life is difficult. Moreso (in some ways!) with psychogenic because if feels like you have nowhere to turn and noway to deal with what is happening to you when drugs and therapy don't seem to help.
Either way you have no control over the seizures. They are not "manufactured".

I'm sorry this is happening to you.
When the medical field had washed their hands of me I was forced to adapt. I found joy in life around the seizures and just gave in and accepted what was happening to me. That was my way of coping. I tried not to lose my sense of humour and I only let close friends and family know what was happening to me and people I trusted. There is stigma attached with psychogenic.

I have no idea whether or not your seizures are psychogenic or physiological but if it's any consolation I know how you feel. It's REALLY hard. Hang onto your support system, vent here and if you can, get another opinion.

I'm pretty used to the scream now. It has happened up to 3 times in a night.

Can estrogen and progesterone levels cause seizures or seizure like issues ?

Too much estrogen can effect catamenial seizures (seizures around that time of month for females) known as a "proconvulsant", whereas, progesterone is thought to be an "anticonvulsant".

Cint...just wanted to say thanks for that. I think I only have simple partials because I am aware. The whole complex and simple thing is confusing to me.

I so agree, I thinking I've got it, then as I read through some post, I'm confused again.

Horsehead - I hope it get the help your needing. Are you keeping a diary?

no not at this time. i may go talk with my primary doctor again and see what she thinks.
I didn't sleep for crud last night,had one scream seizure thing. today i am soo tired and all my muscles hurt.

I want to encourage that you start a dair, of everything that does't feel right and your mood/depression symptoms. I know that this is the last thing you probably want to do, but this will help the Dr. a great deal.

I say this because I used to think I can remember this then at Dr. appt. I couldn't recall no matter how hard I tried.

Back
Top Bottom