Can this be a trigger?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LizzyHere

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a kind of odd question. Yesterday a hypnotist came to my school and I was "hypnotized" for about 5 minutes (which was really freaky, I didn't think it was going to work). About 2 hours later I started to feel really awful (nausea) and then had a 10 second long partial seizure.

Do you think that hypnotism can trigger seizures, or was this purely coincidental? I've heard that some people use hypnosis to treat epilepsy, so I guess it could be connected, but it wasn't very immediate. What do think? :ponder:

Much love,
Lizzy

Hi Lizzy,

I've not heard of hypnotism triggering seizures. However, I had meditation trigger some. Seems hypnotism and meditation are a bit related, so it sounds to me like it could.

Someone who treats seizures with hypnotism is likely trained to do so in specific ways. If you were hypnotized just for fun (one of those shows where they get people doing silly things), that's probably a very different type of hypnotizing.

:twocents:

Hi everyone!

I have a kind of odd question. Yesterday a hypnotist came to my school and I was "hypnotized" for about 5 minutes (which was really freaky, I didn't think it was going to work). About 2 hours later I started to feel really awful (nausea) and then had a 10 second long partial seizure.

Do you think that hypnotism can trigger seizures, or was this purely coincidental? I've heard that some people use hypnosis to treat epilepsy, so I guess it could be connected, but it wasn't very immediate. What do think? :ponder:

Much love,
Lizzy

I learned self-hypnosis to control my seizures. When starting out, it did trigger some seizures, partials. I think it was because getting into a relaxed state while awake startled me and that set off the seizures. I just proceeded and that reaction stopped after a while with no further problems.

Studies have shown that a person's brain waves do change while under hypnosis, with a decrease in activity on the left hemisphere and an increase on the right hemisphere. I once asked my epileptologist about hypnosis and she said I shouldn't go there as it definitely could bring on a seizure for me.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/extrasensory-perceptions/hypnosis4.htm
In some studies, EEGs from subjects under hypnosis showed a boost in the lower frequency waves associated with dreaming and sleep, and a drop in the higher frequency waves associated with full wakefulness. Brain-wave information is not a definitive indicator of how the mind is operating, but this pattern does fit the hypothesis that the conscious mind backs off during hypnosis and the subconscious mind takes a more active role.

Researchers have also studied patterns in the brain's cerebral cortex that occur during hypnosis. In these studies, hypnotic subjects showed reduced activity in the left hemisphere of the cerebral cortex, while activity in the right hemisphere often increased. Neurologists believe that the left hemisphere of the cortex is the logical control center of the brain; it operates on deduction, reasoning and convention. The right hemisphere, in contrast, controls imagination and creativity. A decrease in left-hemisphere activity fits with the hypothesis that hypnosis subdues the conscious mind's inhibitory influence. Conversely, an increase in right-brain activity supports the idea that the creative, impulsive subconscious mind takes the reigns. This is by no means conclusive evidence, but it does lend credence to the idea that hypnotism opens up the subconscious mind.

Whether or not hypnosis is actually a physiological phenomenon, millions of people do practice hypnotism regularly, and millions of subjects report that it has worked on them. In the next section, we'll look at the most common methods of inducing a hypnotic trance.

Hi everyone!

Much love,
Lizzy

Hi Lizzy,
I tried this Google search:

https://www.google.com/#q=hypnosis+for+epilepsy

I turned up pros and cons. No one can say with certainty that any method, drugs or otherwise will work for you. You can do the search, consider the information and make your own informed decision. We are very fortunate to have access to so much information on topics like this.

Complementary therapies | Epilepsy Society
www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/co...
NSE - The National Society for Epilepsy
If stress is a trigger for your seizures, a therapy that helps you to feel less stressed .... as meditation and hypnotherapy may increase your risk of having seizures.

http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/complementary-therapies

Epilepsy - Henry Spink Foundation
www.henryspink.org/epilepsy.htm
Henry Spink Foundation
Birmingham University's Seizure Clinic has used visualisation techniques and hypnosis to help patients with epilepsy remember smells of certain oils in order to ...

http://www.henryspink.org/epilepsy.htm

Back
Top Bottom