Can vimpat be stopped cold turkey?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loopy Lou

Veteran
Reaction score
I've been taking Vimpat since November ish and have nothing but problems since starting it. I need to stop it, like now. I think I've stuck with it for long enough. I'm only on 200mg a day, is it safe to stop it cold turkey? My gp isn't listening to me, I don't see my neurologist until may and it will be at least Tuesday until I can talk to my nurse. The Vimpat currently does not help to reduce my partials either.

A friend (with pharmaceutical training) & I were just discussing last night how no AED should be stopped cold turkey. Even if the person doesn't have E but was mistakenly put on an AED, stopping cold turkey could cause seizures that never existed before.

Always taper off slowly from any AED Lou, no matter how anxious you are to stop.

A friend (with pharmaceutical training) & I were just discussing last night how no AED should be stopped cold turkey. Even if the person doesn't have E but was mistakenly put on an AED, stopping cold turkey could cause seizures that never existed before. Always taper off slowly from any AED Lou, no matter how anxious you are to stop.

I agree! I was just in for a VEEG last week, and my dr stopped both the Keppra XR and the Carbotral ER I was taking COLD TURKEY. Took me 40 hours after my last medication dosages to start having new seizures Ive never had before. I was so use to having the complex partial seizures, where I would lose consiousness. I had simple partial seizures instead, where I was fully aware of what was going on during the seizures.

I was put back on the Keppra XR after being off all medications for almost 4 days. Its very dangerous to stop cold turkey with any medication. I would highly recommend on calling your neurologist tomorrow, (monday) and letting him know how things are not improving for you with your medication.

It's nearly impossible to get hold of my neurologist. Left a message with nurse earlier, but she won't be back in the office until Tuesday, and then she liases with the neuro on my behalf and gets back to me. I need to get off these pills. The side effects are just too much for me, and I'm not getting any benefit from taking them. I'm intending on sticking with the Keppra though.

I'm with the others -- don't go cold turkey. If you feel you must begin tapering off of the Vimpat (and I understand completely you're wanting to), the recommended decrease rate is a 200 mg/day increment, hold that level for at least a week, and then drop another 200mg and hold for at least a week, and so on... Let us know what you decide.

I'm with

the others. DON'T GO COLD TURKEY. It's just not cool, and can be quite dangerous. Increasing seizures, added types showing up, none of which you want.

Be patient, no matter how hard it is. You can do it. We'll help you!!!

Finally got hold of nurse today, she spoke to neurologist and they've decided that I definitely need to get off the Vimpat. Still have to do it slowly though, so going to go down in 50mg increments over a good few weeks. Relief! I'll feel better once its out of my system i hope. I'm just glad that they listened to me whereas my GP was basically dismissing my worries.

Yaaaay, finally!

I learned a while ago in school that keeping yourself hydrated makes it easier for your body to process and excrete impurities so try to drink lots of water.

I pretty much drink like a fish anyway lol. I like my nurse, she actually listens to me :) I'm still keeping the same level of Keppra, I only have minor problems with that. Looks like my body (or more specifically my mind) just can't deal with Vimpat at all.

Yay!
Vimpat had such promise but then it all fell apart.
I didn't have seizures but I had a psychotic episode, a number of occasions where I fainted and needed staples to repair the damage.
Then, the double vision and the uncontrollable dizziness, like a spinning top bouncing off walls.
I have been weaned off Vimpat over a number of days with an increase in my Keppra. I don't know if my Keppra dose will stay this high, I have been in the EMU for the past week.
Today, I am exhausted but comfortable.
I have returned to the Canadian Medical System.
I was shocked to find out the culprit but I see I am not the only one.....

Not cold Turkey. Talk to Doctors first. They need to try something else. I was told flat out the dizziness is caused by dehydration and too much carbs in my diet. I am trying high protein and hydration to help the dizziness. I still am suffering depression though.
VimPat only 300MG/day

Epilepsy Monitoring Unit

Most large cities with a decent neurology department are well equipped.
I was in the hospital for 10 days, with full EEG monitoring, sound, light and the help of well trained doctors.
This is NOT something I ever suggested doing.

I was allergic to vimpat and hadscrated myselself raw.

I had a dumb do who thought I shought go back on on it my my neuro took me off it.

Back
Top Bottom